Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the AI removal kit from newbonneville.com on my 08 Thruxton today and wondered if anyone else had run into the same questions that I had.

In their instructions it talks about removing the air line that runs from the carb to the AI unit and cap it with the included cap, but for the life of me I sure didn't see one. Is this only applicable to earlier models?

Also, the aluminum AI section clearly comes out, but what about the black plastic section that has an electrical connection to it? Are there any issues with removing this and leaving the connector unconnected? This black plastic piece (valve?) was conected by hoses between the aluminum piece and the airbox.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I think that the later ones--like yours--are electrically driven instead of vacuum driven. That would explain what you're seeing. And disconnecting the electrical connection should be the equivalent of disconnecting the vacuum connection that you don't have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. That certainly looks like what may be going on there and makes perfect sense as an explanation for both questions. I didn't remember anyone mentioning that in posts before, so I was puzzled. Thanks Marty!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kensei, if you have a EFI you DON'T remove the AI-Kit !!!
Don't know exactly why, but many EFI Drivers said if they removed the kit, the bike runs not good ..... :cool:

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Kensei has an '08. In the US, that would not be an EFI model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an '08, and my bike had the hose going to the airbox AND electrical connections to remove.

I didn't seal the plug on my airbox, thinking that the press fit was enough, and I noticed it was missing a few weeks later. Unfiltered air was going directly into my engine for god knows how long. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed the AI removal kit from newbonneville.com on my 08 Thruxton today and wondered if anyone else had run into the same questions that I had.

In their instructions it talks about removing the air line that runs from the carb to the AI unit and cap it with the included cap, but for the life of me I sure didn't see one. Is this only applicable to earlier models?

Also, the aluminum AI section clearly comes out, but what about the black plastic section that has an electrical connection to it? Are there any issues with removing this and leaving the connector unconnected? This black plastic piece (valve?) was conected by hoses between the aluminum piece and the airbox.

Thanks!
I just removed my AI today on my 2008 Bonneville Black. Kensei, I had the same first question you did. I do believe the cap applies to earlier models only (i've referenced pictures of an '05 - which would need the cap).

I've read mixed threads regarding this, it is possible we have the Evap system on the bike - thereby not needing the cap, since it is already capped. (I believe the 2008's have the t-bar going to the cans in the rear)

As for the electrical connection, unplug it and let it just sit there, remove everything from the reed valve to the airbox, including the black plastic valve which had the electrical connection.

I did this today and gave it a spirited ride earlier without any issues.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the great advice. Balto nailed it right off the bat and resorb backed up that good info. ScrambDaddy don't worry, '08 Thruxtons in the U.S. are still carb'ed.

As soon as I can get to the garage, the rest is coming off!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts