Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Superbrace with the nipples to accept gaiters, along with the gaiters on order.
Currently, the bike has those little shields installed on the lower legs, projecting upward to protect the first inch or two of the inner fork tube.
Question: Can you remove these shields by tapping them upward to unsnap them, or do you just go at the flange with the Dremel cut-off wheel?
Will removing these shields leave the fork seals insecure in some way, or are these parts not connected?
It appears that you would have to remove these shields regardless of which Superbrace you installed, as the brace seems to clamp to the same area as the mounting flange for the shields.
Any ideas?
Bob

·
Registered
177 Posts
The shields can be pried up with the tip of a small screw driver and once removed will not have any effect on the fork seal below.

·
29,948 Posts
Be careful though - it's easy to gouge the aluminium of the fork slider. I prefer a piece of soft wood against the underside lip of the fork protector, tapped upwards with a mallet. They come off fairly easily. It's a bit fiddly, there's not much of a lip, but enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fork gaiter fitting

Excellent, guys!
Thanks for the responses!
BTW, I just had a look at the VERY nice pictorial of this job, and feel like a dummy (nothing new!) for not having found it before posting the question!
Bob
Be careful though - it's easy to gouge the aluminium of the fork slider. I prefer a piece of soft wood against the underside lip of the fork protector, tapped upwards with a mallet. They come off fairly easily. It's a bit fiddly, there's not much of a lip, but enough.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
What Propforward says: Whack it around its perimeter with a block of scrap wood until it comes off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts