Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting...

I'm looking at upgrading my 250 and getting either a second hand 08 street triple or a new street triple R (when the orange gets to Australia)

Just want riders opinions on whether its worth the price difference or not (Especially those who have had 08 and 09R models)

Thanks,
Cam

·
Registered
366 Posts
IMO the R is not worth it, unless you want either "bragging rights" or a track bike. As the Streety was not designed for racing (that's what the Daytona is for), the standard brakes and suspension are more than adequit. Brakes that are overly strong can also get you killed in a "panic braking" situation, unless you are VERY experienced/trained. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on how much you are going to save on the R with the second hand bike. If its from a certified Triumph Stealer, low miles, etc. etc. then it will not be much of a saving over a new R.

If private sale, higher miles, then more of a saving.

For the bike - well, you wont notice a lot of improvement in the front brake, and the adjustable suspension - well, handy for a one time set up for bumpy roads and your exact weight - or track use.

This isnt that kind of bike - its just a leap on, hoon about and grin lots bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel your pain, Cam.

I think the "R" guys will say "Oh yeah, it's totally worth it" while the rest will say the "R" is a waste of money.

I think if you are going to track it on a semi-regular basis, then you're probably going to want to get the "R". Otherwise it's cash you don't really need to spend. My Honda 599 (Hornet) has almost identical braking and suspension components and the base model Striple, and it got me around Mid-Ohio just fine. Especially at Novice level.

My temptation is the get the "R", but for more practical reasons - I can't find a used Street anywhere. It would save me a ton in Freight, Setup, and potentially in tax (if a private seller was generous on the title transfer) but I can't buy what doesn't exist.

:(

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
My temptation is the get the "R", but for more practical reasons - I can't find a used Street anywhere. It would save me a ton in Freight, Setup, and potentially in tax
Surely a new "plain" Street would provide a significant saving in those areas too? Maybe not as much as a used one, but still, the difference in pricing for a new R over a new regular one is substantial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure, it would save a few bucks. I'm getting quoted straight MSRP - $8699 for the base model and $9499 for the "R". Although the dealer I talked to (the closest to me is in Dayton, about 55 miles away) said they could "work with me" on the price. I told them to get me an "R" for sub-9k and we'd have a serious conversation right away. It didn't look promising... LOL.

A used base model black Street would be just fine by me. If only I could find one. You could always upgrade the components later with Brembo/Tokico/Penske/Ohlins or whatever if you really felt the need. You'd spend a little more but have real top-notch stuff. Probably not necessary for most people though.

I could also scrap the whole idea and keep my Honda naked as a "cruiser", and buy a used $5k sport bike for technical riding and the odd track day. It would cost about the same. But these Striples are really tugging at me...

:eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all, first time posting...

I'm looking at upgrading my 250 and getting either a second hand 08 street triple or a new street triple R (when the orange gets to Australia)

Just want riders opinions on whether its worth the price difference or not (Especially those who have had 08 and 09R models)

Thanks,
Cam
Another Ozzie Cam! Welcome.

If you find an 08 Street Triple at a decent price, buy it.

The Orange R probably won't make it to Oz until the middle of the year, and then will cost 15 grand, on road (NSW).

If you are just coming off a 250, the adjustable suspension business probably isn't what you require at the moment.

What is worth doing with the standard Striple is to get a decent mechanic to help set up the bike for you.....

Where abouts are you anyway?

regards,CrazyCam

Adjusting the rear preload correctly is important to you, and the front end preload can also be adjusted. Even if you need to change the front springs, which I did find I needed, it isn't too costly.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had an '02 Ninja250, my wife currently has an '07 Ninja250, so I can relate to your questions pretty well. :)

Pros: A lot quicker, about 35 mph faster top speed, brakes a lot better, not nearly as much nose dive, ultra-cool chick magnet, sounds super-cool, a lot less wind-buffeting on the highway

Cons: The ST3 is a bit taller, 42-45 mpg, parts are a lot more expensive, no center stand, harder to counter-steer if you like to steer just by putting weight on the pegs, the steering lockout is a lot tighter than the Ninja250, throttle response is a little too responsive, not quite as comfortable on long day trip

To me, the pluses outweigh the negatives. I am sure the R model will brake better and handle bumps on a bad road better, but the regular model still rips and is a hoot to ride. If I was planning to track my bike more than a couple of times I would probably buy a used Daytona for that purpose. Why hammer the track unless you are going to have a track bike, right? :) My opinion - buy the regular model and use the money you save to buy some nice gear.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Street Triple is the top selling Triumph model so I would think it is unlikely to get much of a deal on a new bike,particularly as it is very keenly priced. In the UK the R is £500 more than the standard bike,which seems a good price as the weakest part of the standard bike is the rear shock.This could easily cost a minimum of £500 to upgrade,albeit it may only be necessary for hard riding. I'm currently consideing an R to replace my 02 Speed Triple.The biggest issue for me is the matt paint. I would have liked gloss paint,and maybe a two tone petrol tank say like some Ducati Monsters. For most riders the standard bike is probably good enough,but when it comes down to it many riders will opt for the higher spec,Triumph anticipate about one third of production will be the R. It seems a lot of bike for the money and with currency exchange rates there is a lot of speculation that Japanese bikes will have a substantial price increase in 2009. This may also apply to Triumph as many expensive components are sourced from Japan - recession notwithstanding...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts