Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I low-sided my Sprint in late December and I just now got the parts to reassemble it. I am having a surprisingly difficult time freeing the slotted pin that holds on the left foot rest so that I can install my replacement. The shop manual shows a small retention pin that supposedly holds this thing in-place, but for the life of me I cannot gt this thing apart.

Anybody successfully replace a foot rest on an 08 ST that can lend some assistance or insight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a closer look...

I discovered that if I removed the shifter, there was a portion of the retaining pin hiding under the grease lubricating the shifter's motion. I used a vice, nail and hammer to pound-out the retaining pin and was able to slide out the peg pin and replace the foot rest.

Sorry for the false-alarm, fellas. Hopefully this will help someone in the future :-/

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Oh they're a pin all right...

Am looking forward to being able to replace the standard foot rests with some German made ones soon hopefully!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
A few suggestions.

Use the correct tools, or at least try to replicate them. If you are going to use a nail :eek: in lieu of a pin punch, at least grind the ends flat and put a bit of chamfer on both.

If you must do hammering, get a dead blow. If you insist on a ball peen, get a small one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As pointed out by OnD, my instructions should be followed at your own risk ;-). I tend to be a little "unrefined" in my mechanical endeavors. Your mileage / damage may vary.\

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
A few suggestions.

Use the correct tools, or at least try to replicate them. If you are going to use a nail :eek: in lieu of a pin punch, at least grind the ends flat and put a bit of chamfer on both.

If you must do hammering, get a dead blow. If you insist on a ball peen, get a small one.
As OnD says, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the proper small tools to do a job that it is to repair a screwup.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts