Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

08 Speed Triple - O2 sensor questions

13K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Forchetto 
#1 ·
Guys - just downloaded my new map "tune ecu" into my 08 speedy for my Scorpion Extreme and unchecked the o2 sensor (the sai was already unchecked and when i looked it wasn't even fitted as theres a blanking plug on the airbox) but i've diconnected the oxygen sensor itself and got a check engine light.. i'm guessing i need a o2 eliminator as i did when i put a Yoshi on my Suzuki..(its a different size- i've tried)- does anyone make an o2 eliminator for these bikes- the British customs is for an earlier sp3 and proberly won't fit.????

#3 ·
This is going to be obvious isn't it...?

Ok, embarass me - how do I clear the fault ..?

I realise that I loaded the map - and i hadn't unchecked the O2 sensor so i then unchecked w/o reloading the new map..Doh!
(How on earth that was going to work ..idiot me, i know, i know..)

I by then had disconnected the O2 sensor at the joining plug

- i've just been out and re uploaded a new map w/o the O2 sensor and fault is still showing.... i even tried reattaching the sensor and still no joy..??

Message reads in diagnostics-

"P0031 - oxygen sensor heater short circuit to ground or open circuit"

:eek:

#4 · (Edited)
To clear the Engine Management System MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) here is the fix:

Connect TuneECU > DIAGNOSTICS > ECU > ERASE ERROR CODES

In other words, once TuneECU has connected (ignition on, engine not running), navigate to the Diagnostics (or Tests) page; click on the pull-down menu ECU and select Erase Error codes. Once TuneECU has confirmed that the fault code is cleared, switch off ignition. Switch the ignition back on and start the engine to check that the MIL light has been extinguished.

#8 ·
I assume that the Oxy eliminator is similar to that used on most Power Commander EFI-systems and probably consists of a fancy resistor circuit that fools the ECU into thinking the o2 sensor is still connected! If so, this simply causes the bike to stay in 'open loop' and work directly off the designated fueling tables, rather than go into 'closed loop' operation at low rpms.

Such an expensive eliminator is not required as TuneECU enables the o2 sensor to be switched off in the map. If this is done, it is important to remove the o2 sensor entirely and the threaded hole in the header plugged up. See the attached picture of my '06 Speed III where I did just that.

Attachments

#9 ·
The ECU in the Triumphs never goes to true closed loop. It uses the O2 sensor to sample the output at low rpms and small throttle openings at higher rpms and then uses the sample to make a broad adjustment across the fuel table for the area it sampled. It never directly affects the running of the bike. This is why the new Triumphs don't have the typically closed loop surge that so many bikes had in the 90s.

#12 ·
<<Magnum O2 Sensor Simulator outperforms all solutions aimed to trick the oxygen sensor signal and will deliver +10 % additional HP.>>

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/prod...2_oxygen_sensor_simulator-w_heater_eliminator

Big talk!!
More importantly it comes with:

Power indicator led with special purple color...Wow

When I started playing with the O2 and other sensors I did exhaustive web searches for any feedback for their products. Considering that they've been out for years, I couldn't find a single good word said about them, or a truly bad word either.

I believe most people that buy the units simply do not fit them. Most people look for an easy plug and play performance improvements and cutting and splicing wires on your expensive pride and joy is just not on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.