Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Here's my multimeter checking the EMS relay socket:
That's not what I meant. I meant one multimeter pin on the socket contact, the one OPPOSED to the fuse side and one on the ground.
That wire seems pretty frayed.

Thanks for the direction and help thus far. Sorry I'm not very good at this. . .
What you see the the heat sheath. Not the actual wires.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, gotcha Fred, thanks for clarifying. I think I may be in better shape, now: I disconnected the O2 sensor cable and was able to turn the ignition, flip the kill switch AND - NO BLOWN FUSE! (head smack) I wish I would've looked under the oil pan sooner. I'm also dismayed the dealer didn't notice that frayed cable when I first sent it in and they changed the oil while they were at it.

1) What do you guys think of the O2 SAI delete mod? I don't live in an area where they require it and I've seen the whole new sensor/cable as low as $100 and much higher than that typically. Have you heard of folks doing okay with the SAI sensor mod that I seem to see on eBay for about $16?

2) The bike would not turn over when I clicked the starter and I wonder if that's due to all the failed codes from the ECU that I'd need an ODB to clear? How shall I go about that?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ok, gotcha Fred, thanks for clarifying. I think I may be in better shape, now: I disconnected the O2 sensor cable and was able to turn the ignition, flip the kill switch AND - NO BLOWN FUSE! (head smack) I wish I would've looked under the oil pan sooner. I'm also dismayed the dealer didn't notice that frayed cable when I first sent it in and they changed the oil while they were at it.

1) What do you guys think of the O2 SAI delete mod? I don't live in an area where they require it and I've seen the whole new sensor/cable as low as $100 and much higher than that typically. Have you heard of folks doing okay with the SAI sensor mod that I seem to see on eBay for about $16?

2) The bike would not turn over when I clicked the starter and I wonder if that's due to all the failed codes from the ECU that I'd need an ODB to clear? How shall I go about that?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

1)
O2 sensor and sai are not interrelated. O2 sensor allow the ECU to adjust the air fuel mixture while cruising and while idling. In addition it rends a gas analyzer useless. So it's a must have.

The sai has a different goal. It injects air in the exhaust under some circumferences to improve the unburnt fuel to be completely burnt, avoiding CO and fuel in the exhaust. The rest of the job being made by the catalyst. The whole process allow your exhaust to emit only CO2 and water.

The sai is using a solenoid actuated valve connected the motor head through passive non return valves. No sensor here.
If the sai actuator is still there why not reconnecting it?

2)First get an OBD reader (TuneECU + cable or the like), then clear the codes and see what code is going back.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok, sounds good, I'll order some parts and an OBD2 and see how it goes. I have a Windows based laptop I can use for the TuneECU.

I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks so much for all the insight and help. Sorry I took the long way around. It's been a long season of frustration - I should've asked for help sooner. Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,224 Posts
2) The bike would not turn over when I clicked the starter and I wonder if that's due to all the failed codes from the ECU that I'd need an ODB to clear? How shall I go about that?.
No, it is not related to any codes prohibiting it from cranking
Possibilities are
1. Clutch Switch not closing properly (this is most likely cause - especially if you have replaced the clutch lever with after-market)
2. No Neutral Light/Side-stand down (MUST have EITHER Neutral OR Side-Stand UP)
3. Low Battery Voltage

You can also take it by an autozone and have them read and clear the codes for you (you'll have to show them where the connector is under the seat) - but of course need it running first! :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You can also take it by an autozone and have them read and clear the codes for you (you'll have to show them where the connector is under the seat) - but of course need it running first! :)
For the cost of an obd reader...
I remember back in 2001 pepboy asked me 50$ to read the code of my car. I suspected it was one of the O2 sensor which price was ... 50$.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
21,224 Posts
I don't know (or care) whether Pepboys does or does not offer this service free and did not reference them AT ALL in my reply, but specifically suggested AUTOZONE because I KNOW that Autozone DOES and you countered that it would cost him the price of an OBD reader, then quoted your own experience with a completely different entity, somewhat implying the same would be the case for Autozone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I don't know (or care) whether Pepboys does or does not offer this service free and did not reference them AT ALL in my reply, but specifically suggested AUTOZONE because I KNOW that Autozone DOES and you countered that it would cost him the price of an OBD reader, then quoted your own experience with a completely different entity, somewhat implying the same would be the case for Autozone.
OK. Great thing they do that for free.

Fred

21 - 32 of 32 Posts