Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pea shooters came today so I bolted them on....5 minutes....and went for a ride. Throaty but not too loud - I've had louder bikes. Main jets (125) and needle spacer in the mail. It's rideable now and doesn't pop on decel, but it needs jetted. I still have stock filter with snorkel and AI removed but I am ordering a Uni filter and carb bolt kit next week....I may just order 120 mains at that time just in case. The only other mod is the drag bars (me likey) and bar end mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, nice. If I recall correctly VW peashooters O.D. was the same as the scrambler header I.D.? They look just like the 'shotguns' offered by Raisch. Do you know the exact part you ordered?

What was the fitment like? Did you just synch them on with the OEM clamps used to fasten the mufflers to the headers?

Sorry for all the questions, it just looks like you might have found a better alternative should my muffler hanging tab on the frame snap off again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There're standard classic VW Beetle pea shooters. Yes, same diameter as stock mufflers. I switched them out in less than 5 minutes. Just loosen two muffler clamps and remove mounting bolt. Slide pea shooters on and tighten stock clamps....that's it. They even clear the heat shields which have slight curve in them just past the header/muffler junction. They are 9 7/8 inces long. I found them on eBay for $25 a pair, shipped from Ohio Style Garage. I took a short ride with them on today but swapped them back out for the stockers until I get my jets and filter.....but, I did notice a distinctive VW "fweep" when rolling hard on and off the throttle - not alot, just every so often and not very noticeable. I picked up on it because I drove a '73 Beetle for years when I was younger. It may not even be the pea shooters as I've noticed a similar occasional high whirr at high RPM even with the stockers on. In any case, I don't think they're too loud and I think the occasional "fweep" make it sound more European....I don't want to be mistaken for a Harley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks good. I never thought of that. I did a similar thing with two EMCO Shorty's and an upswept adaptor kit. came out the same length as stock so I could use the mounting bracket cost me $70

·
Registered
228 Posts
tstessney...I called up the local old bug parts shop and sure enough they had the peashooters in three sizes. I opted for the shortest standard length (225mm), I think they are intended for bug model years '74-'76. Anyway, they fit like a glove. I haven't been out riding with it yet, but it's got a ton of that whistle fweep just reving the engine standstill. Not sure if they are staying, we will see how that mellows out at speed. Not a big deal, total cost: $15.67 for the pair.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really didn't notice that much fweep....like I said, I noticed it more when rolling hard on and off the throttle. I like the sound though. I think it comes from the little perforated holes in the baffles. I'll get the bike jetted with these and if they get on my nerves later, I'll swap them out for straights with slip in baffles from JC Whitney.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the tip Easy13. They'd probably be touching each other at the end, due to the proximity of the headers, but look like they could fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw those on eBay and thought the same thing...that they may touch. So I went with the straights. After alls said and done, I may just get a set and try them. I do like the looks of the flared ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pipes are on, carbs rejetted and foam Uni filter installed. I left the air box restricted for now and it runs great with just the snorkel removed. I may try to locate the snow machine bell mouth (forget the brand at present). I'm located at 1200 ft above sea level. I went with 125 mains, left the stock 40 pilots in and used one spacer on the needles. Pilot screws turned out 2 turns. Runs great. No popping on decel. Pulls a lot harder throughout the rpm range. A BIG improvement over stock. Will ride it around a bit to see if any fine tuning is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts

Here's mine...I ended up removing the inner baffling and the fweem went away. I swap between my debaffled stock cans and these little pipes depending on passenger needs, noise needs, etc.

Thanks again for the heads up tstessney!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Borderman, what exactly do you have on your bike? I have a 03 Bonnie and I want to change to high pipes, what are those mufflers on your bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Reviving an OLD thread. I just did this last night on a 2013 Scrambler and it's awesome. I haven't blocked the air injection so I'm getting a lot of popping, but otherwise I'm extremely happy with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I get a lot of popping and a little flame from time to time on mine as well, and I have AI disabled and removed. The bike sounds great with the de-whistled bug tips on there. Without the tips, you get kind of a "bong bong bong" sort of sound from the exhaust bouncing off of a small piece of metal heat shielding that bends over the outlet of the top exhaust pipe.

All that said, I very rarely run the bike without my heavily debaffled mufflers on there...but when I do I am always smiling just a little wider.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I haven't really noticed any whistling or non motor sounds. I had the dealer put on the aftermarket pipe map (20513 for those interested) and it's really smooth and punchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzd8rXY7z78
I'll have to double check what map I'm using. I know its the arrow 2in1 map, but not sure on the number. Sounds about the same. This really is the best kept secret.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll have to double check what map I'm using. I know its the arrow 2in1 map, but not sure on the number. Sounds about the same. This really is the best kept secret.
Looks good! I'm going to get rid of the little rear reflector tonight.

I'm also thinking about painting the heat shields black. I saw this one on Tumblr last night and I think I'm going to do that this weekend.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts