Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a brand new Bonneville T100 in the next month or so.

My local dealer will sell me a 08 T100 in the color I like for $900 less than the 09 model.

I am not very mechanically inclined and will have the bike serviced for all but very basic repairs.

What is the collective wisdom on whether to get the 08 (carb) or the 09 (new fuel injection) t100?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I own two carbies (2007s) and one EFI (2009) Bonnevilles. I suggest the EFI is worth the extra $900.

Dick

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I own two carbies (2007s) and one EFI (2009) Bonnevilles. I suggest the EFI is worth the extra $900.

Dick
Dick,
I notice you have togas and a power commander on your new '09 EFI Bonny. Can you tell me if the '09 Bonny has open or closed loop EFI?...closed loop having an O2 sensor. I know that Power Commanders are available with O2 sensor plugs to change the EFI to open loop for a easier workaround to dialing in the best map when opening the exhaust a bit.
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carbs for me too

I'm (still) shopping for the right 2007 or 2008 T-100, and carbs would be my first choice. No fuel pump, no computer, everything more in keeping with the original Bonnie. Maybe you'd prefer EFI if you have no intention of getting bitten by the "mod bug" ;)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have an 07 and its carbed and I love it but I will say that maybe its my age, but I work in the automotive industry and carbs have been gone for a long time and I am far more comfortable with FI. I wish I had my exact bike but FI.

Staying positive though, the carbs are great, they work fantastic, give excellent throttle response and I love the opportunity to relearn old skills on these carbs.

Besides my little leaks I am dealing with, I love this bike.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Dick,
I notice you have togas and a power commander on your new '09 EFI Bonny. Can you tell me if the '09 Bonny has open or closed loop EFI?...closed loop having an O2 sensor. I know that Power Commanders are available with O2 sensor plugs to change the EFI to open loop for a easier workaround to dialing in the best map when opening the exhaust a bit.
Thanks,
George
It is indeed open loop now, but the O2 sensors remain in place inoperative. I can't begin to tell you how much better the bike is with the PC and a custom map! I've had carb equipped Triumphs for more than 40 years, and am very comfortable tuning carburetor induction vertical twins. I'm a factory trained Triumph mechanic from the old days, but the EFI is better. It does require a clever person with a dyno and some experience to develop the map, but the bike is really perfect with the EFI now. The bad part of EFI tuning is you can't do it yourself, but the process of this dyno map development was very interesting to an old fart like me. The Bonneville PC's will be available in early 2009 - mine was a development PC and used to prove the software and hardware/

Dick

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
depends what your intentions are.

FI is better for everything except wrenching in the garage with your buddies and a beer. But I like wrenching in my garage! Its part of the whole experience, even if its just changing jets.

I was going to wait for FI but now I am glad I did not.My bikes more old shool and there is nothing too complicated to work on on my own garage.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Carbie + Goodies

My local dealer will sell me a 08 T100 in the color I like for $900 less than the 09 model.
Think about all the goodies you could get with $900!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to opt for the 09 in Green and White.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts