Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from a dealer here in Texas. I have been waiting to purchase an 07 Thruxton but they aren't out yet. They told me sometime in Dec. I got a little antsy then I saw that they had an 06 for 400 off MSRP I was quoted 9700 out the door with TOR pipes and end mirrors. I replied it seemed a bit high since the 07 are almost here. The dealer replied if I want a proper British bike the I best Buy an 06 cause the 07 will be made in thailand. What is you guys take. The 07 was offered out the door with a price of 9,000.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
I think I would shop around. That's kinda high for a 06 model. I would wave the prices of http://www.southernpowersports.com/ in their face. Shipping a bike from TN to TX runs about $800.00 (or less).

As for the Thailand opinion from your dealer - do a search. There are several threads about it. I personally don't see it as a big deal to me, but I own other brand bikes too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input I think I will shop around . I my Have to fly somewhere and drive it down any way since I live on south end of Texas.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The Thailand Bonnevilles can be easily spotted by their serial number. The 7th or so number in the VIN is a "J" for British-built and a "T" for Asian.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. But do they all still ship from the UK to the states?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh no are you telling me, Triumph is getting ready to outsource the production of there bikes?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I suspect that the Thailand factory will supply Asia, Aus, NZ, S. America..and the US, Canada, and Europe will get the Brit bikes. The Hinkley factory is too new to close now, I would think.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-12-13 11:51, RaceDweeb wrote:
The Thailand Bonnevilles can be easily spotted by their serial number. The 7th or so number in the VIN is a "J" for British-built and a "T" for Asian.
Mike,

I had to double check the VIN on my '06... the 7th digit is "K" ? But the 11th digit is "J". So I reckon the 11th digit designates the assy plant?

That's good to know anyway. I value my '06 T100 even more now! :-D

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
The first three digits of the VIN indicate country of origin and manufacturer. Sometimes the first two digits cover that info and the third will indicate type of vehicle. For the Thruxton, SM indicates United Kingdom and T = Triumph. If it were made in Thailand, it should not begin with SMT. For Thailand, the first two letters should be M and something between L and R.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
....Unless they do allow a company to be based in its home country while having an assembly plant in another country, and still keep the home country's location code in the VIN. Then you would have to rely on the 11th digit and know what letter stands for the Thailand plant.

But I know many Japanese vehicles (like Honda, for example) not made in Japan will not start with a 'J' on the VIN.

[ This message was edited by: JG on 2006-12-13 20:23 ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Two things - left-over '06 Thruxtons ship with bar-end mirrors and TOR silencers _free_ as part of a 'special offer' from Triumph.

RUN away from the deal.

Oh, we got our first '07 Thruxton the first Tuesday of December. We'd of had it on Monday but we still subscribe to the traditional Tuesday through Saturday dearlership hours.

As to the issue of being built in Britain or in Thailand - I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Triumph is a worldwide company with manufacturing processes taking place on every continent. Final assembly is only a tiny fraction of what makes a Triumph a Triumph.

Buy it because you want it, not because of where it's purported to be from.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
While I'm sure there are other threads on the matter...I will not buy a British bike made in Thailand because then its not a British bike. Yes I know that various components are international but for me its where the engine is made and where the bike is assembled. The only current exception for me is the Fisher MX. I would support that American company even though the engines are Korean, I would not buy a Chinese MV Agusta or Bernelli.

[ This message was edited by: TBSstunta on 2006-12-13 21:18 ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info islemann I don't really care where the bike is born just that it has the same quality as all Triumphs. Hopefully I 'll be ridin sooner than later. As far as I am concerned Triumph has the only bike I am interested in with style and performance.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-12-13 20:56, islemann wrote:
As to the issue of being built in Britain or in Thailand - I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Triumph is a worldwide company with manufacturing processes taking place on every continent. Final assembly is only a tiny fraction of what makes a Triumph a Triumph.
Wouldn't Triumph and all their dealers like for us to believe that.
Final assy on a motorcycle seems kinda important to me. :hammer:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
On 2006-12-14 12:04, Tex-ton wrote:
Where would they be tuned at?
They are tuned when the bike is designed and then all the models are assembled to that spec.

·
Registered
315 Posts
On 2006-12-14 11:31, road_dog wrote:
On 2006-12-13 20:56, islemann wrote:
Wouldn't Triumph and all their dealers like for us to believe that.
Final assy on a motorcycle seems kinda important to me. :hammer:
it's very important. just ask any VW owner with a mexican built car.

or just go to any bicycle shop. the bikes i build are leaps and bounds ahead of 99.99% of the exact same bikes from other shops.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts