Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - 07 sprint battery dead, 5 years old. Unhooked bike battery terminals from battery hooked up to car battery (known to be good)to bike battery cables. Turn key, hear normal fuel pump noises, lights illuminate, gages cycle as normal etc. Pull in clutch, hit starter button and I get one short burst of an attempt to start then ECM resets goes thru the normal motions as if I turned the key on again. This is all I get - no starting ..... Any ideas? I am pretty sure that if all was good the bike would start under these conditions - Thanks for any help or directions :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't ever try to run a bike without a battery connected myself. I have had the same happen when my battery was weak. Won't turn over at all. I just push start and go :)

·
Banned
249 Posts
If you buy a cable and take the patience to set up the FREE tune ecu program you can get error codes and your map code. It's cheap and well worth it.
Most tests are done engine off key on.
Rule number one when using it ? The Battery must be near perfect.
You don't want to buy a cheap battery to run these bikes.
I think your try to jump may not have had a good enough connection.
Start with a multi-meter to see your voltage at the solenoid since you have no batt.. Then voltage drop key on. Then cranking.
Use the connection at the starter to measure drop cranking.
At that point you have started down the path of tracing the current.
Jumping with cables like that is a bit of a non standard roll of the dice. My guess? The
connection to the bike is not good enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
just experience the same thing sprintrat07 described this morning with my 06 st 1050 , checked battery connections were a little loose but not much, put it on a battery tender and started no problems. however the day before the bike was running and starting perfect so why did the battery go low overnight?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts