Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having starting problems with my Sprint and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this. I saw a post about sprag gears and starter clutches but this seems to be more of an electrical issue. I've had issues with hot and cold starting.

HOT STARTING...
sometimes when I stop for fuel and I try to restart the starter motor will stall out and stop turning over. Other times the starter disengages and the start button is just dead. After I try some random things like going out of and back into neutral and cycling the key it has always restarted.

COLD STARTING...
for the first time I tried to start on a cold (for so. cal.) morning and couldn't get it going. The bike was acting like the alien mother ship was coming over the hill. Here's what happened...

1. Turned on the key switch and tried to start. The starter turned over slower than when warm but it has always done that. The engine sputtered a little but wouldn't start.

2. Cycled the key and the fuel pump and servos and stuff made the sounds that usually happen after shutting down. The starter button was dead

3. The fuel warning light came on and the fuel and temp gauges began flashing.

4. After about 10 seconds the starter motor engaged for about 2 seconds only and then disengaged. The starter button remained dead until I cycled the key.

5. Strange occurances 2 through 4 were repeated about 5 times until I gave up.

To my dismay I came home that evening and she fired right up. I was hoping to have something to show the local dealer without having to convince them that they need to check things out.

My bike is always garaged so weather shouldn't be a problem and I went for a 50 mile ride 2 days before with no problems. I have about 4 months left on the factory waranty so I hope this can be resolved in that time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
gw,

there are a lot of threads about this in this forum.

But the first question to ask you will be how old is your battery and have you checked it's voltage lately?

One thing that is apparent particularly where the climate is cooler is that the Sprint needs a very healthy fully charged battery or weird stuff starts happening including being hard to start.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Starting & 'intelligent' battery chargers

For what it's worth my experience is as follows:-
I can't always ride my Sprint (07) daily so I invested in a battery optimiser & keep the bike plugged in to it whenever it's not being used and I've never suffered any starting problems...... ever.
So keeping the battery in optimum shape with an intelligent charger/optimiser seems to be a way of avoiding problems even after a period of weeks unridden, unless you've got it connected to one already?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Going by other threads on this forum it sounds like a classic case of a bad battery so that's the first thing to check.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I doubt that the sprag is causing your problems. It sounds as though you have an electrical problem. However, the condition you describe could eventually cause a problem with the sprag.

As others have stated, the bike needs a healthy battery, and that is an owner's responsibility.

Since you mention you are still in warranty, you must be intending to take it to your dealer. They will probably check the usual suspects. Those being the battery condition, battery connections, engine ground point, fuse, clutch switch, and side stand switch. If none of those items are at fault, they will restart the troubleshooting procedure probably from the ignition switch.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a similar intermittent problem a while back. In my case it was the clutch switch not engaging with the lever pulled in. Some minor adjustment of the clutch lever fixed it.

Easy to check. Take out all of the slack out of the clutch cable and pull the lever all the way in when trying to start. If it fires up every time you have found your problem.;)

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm on my way to the dealer right now. I'm thinking I might just replace the battery for good measure. I have one of those powerless so-cal garages so I can't use a battery tender. I'll let you know what the dealer finds out.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts