Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050cc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So currently with this 07 speed triple engine swap project bike I took on I am running into a lot of electrical problems. For the emission control purge valve wires the previous owner put a resistor into the wires and I don't know if that could throw a check engine code or not. Is there a recommended way to undo this? or is there a proper way to delete this so it has no effect on engine? secondly the bike wont start due to fuel pump connection (wire harness to fuel pump) being so torn and destroyed (have new four pin connector otw) but my question is, if the fuel pump level is saying the tank is empty/low when there is about 5-6 gallons in it is the bike supposed to not start or even attempt to turn over? Because even when the fuel pump wire connection was hooked up the best it could be the fuel pump would kick on and the bike would start. then when i tried to start the bike about 10 mins after the gas warning light came on and then when i tried to start the bike the starter would start to engage then stop and wouldn't let me try again unless I shut the bike off completely and then the same thing would happen. Could this just be from the bad connections or is this a problem with the fuel pump itself? or is this signs of the fuel pump circuit failure code? any advice or suggestions would be a greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The fuel level circuit does not interact with start. In your '07 the warning light is triggered by a tank float rotating against a pot. What it reads only triggers the low fuel dash light.

when i tried to start the bike the starter would start to engage then stop
Your no-start symptoms may point to a low battery. Easy enough to rule out with a donor battery. Don't use jumper cables to a car battery unless you're confident about the connection points (ground). And try to avoid starting with this symptom since the starter sprag clutch will die with too many voltage starts. Good luck and keep us posted on speedy's heart transplant with pictures!

·
Registered
587 Posts
but my question is, if the fuel pump level is saying the tank is empty/low when there is about 5-6 gallons in it is the bike supposed to not start or even attempt to turn over?
Nah fuel level is just a visual indicator, it shouldn't affect anything else. It's possible that a related wiring issue is affecting both the fuel indicator and starting up, but it's not because of the fuel level directly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel level circuit does not interact with start. In your '07 the warning light is triggered by a tank float rotating against a pot. What it reads only triggers the low fuel dash light.

Your no-start symptoms may point to a low battery. Easy enough to rule out with a donor battery. Don't use jumper cables to a car battery unless you're confident about the connection points (ground). And try to avoid starting with this symptom since the starter sprag clutch will die with too many voltage starts. Good luck and keep us posted on speedy's heart transplant with pictures!
Okay thank you for your knowledge! I will hook it up to a battery tender and try it once i get the new connection in. And i Will post some pictures to this thread! thank you again and take care

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah fuel level is just a visual indicator, it shouldn't affect anything else. It's possible that a related wiring issue is affecting both the fuel indicator and starting up, but it's not because of the fuel level directly.
Okay For some reason I thought it did have an affect on the system, this is my first triumph so im learning haha. and I think that could be a major reason now that you mention it. i will keep you updated thank you! its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just a little update i was able to get a hold of a tablet and run tune ecu got a couple codes one was for the throttle position sensor short circuit to negative due to the connection being plugged into the wrong port. the second code was fuel level sensor circuit malfunction, and i believe that was due to the bad connector and the wires being all mangled from the previous owner. i should be getting that new 4 pin connector with in a few days. I also hooked up the battery to a tender so once the new 4 pin comes in i will rewire the pump and try and turn it over and hopefully that does the trick. if not im not sure if i cooked the starter but i have a back up starter if need be off the original engine.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the second code was fuel level sensor circuit malfunction,
This code gets thrown if you turn the ignition on while the tank is off with the pump electricals unplugged. You can reset via TuneECU or it will go away after 3 good restarts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This code gets thrown if you turn the ignition on while the tank is off with the pump electricals unplugged. You can reset via TuneECU or it will go away after 3 good restarts.
Thats what I figured, i am just hoping that will be the last of these electrical issues, i was honestly surprised it only came up with those two codes, but im sure there will be more. also the pink/black wire which is signal ground from the tank is spliced into 4 other pink/black wires(also grounds) i couldn't figure out is that was correct or another gremlin from previous owner? i looked at the wire schematic but i couldn't tell i know the wire ties into another pink/black but four?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i posted some photos one of the ground from the fuel pump and the level signal ground

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update for the bike, I was able to get the fuel pump four pin connector and that correct the issues with all the codes, I also cleaned the wires and made the connections a whole lot better so electronically the bike is sound, but I’m having some trouble with it not wanting to idle

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Vacuum leaks, TPS sensor range, MAP sensor, t-body balance and throttle cable are the usual suspects. All but the first and last can be checked via TuneECU. What is the idle speed and symptoms?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is no idle speed it just won't idle, and I checked for vacuum leaks and I'm getting no codes for any of those items. the throttle cable needed some adjustment so did the idle screw but I got it to the .5 gap because it was way off. and then It started idled a lot better the screw ended up being a little high because it was idling at 1400rpms but crappy. and then all of a sudden it overheated with in a minute and shut off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts