Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have recently purchased an 07 Salvage Bonneville that has front end damage. This seems like a pretty simple fix but I am having a hard time to find a replacement front end. Can someone help?
As most salvaged bikes/bonnies have front end damage, it is difficult to find used fork/fork legs...

I believe that someone in the past used forking by Frank to get fork tubes... hopefully you can reuse the legs....

check here: http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I could swear there were a few threads on using Honda forks from a sporkbike. That should be easier to find and get you better suspension.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
that bike was on ebay .if you bought it with the buy now thing you better check its still up for sale.you need alot more then just forks to fix that .left header is bent bad ,time you buy the parts you could of got a running bike

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Honda forks are from the F3 and you can find them cheap. What I and many others have used was the stanchions from the F3 and the slider or lowers from the stock set up. If the lowers are damaged you would have to find some. I paid $200 and got F3 forks, front wheel, brakes, clip ons and all the related controls off ebay

·
Registered
289 Posts
check your inbox - i sent you a message about my recent challenges with the same issue.

~m

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just finishing up repairing an '08 T100 I bought with a salvaged title. The forums and ebay are a great resource for parts, and I really appreciated all the help I've received from here to get my bike back on the road.

Just a couple things you might want to look into though. In my state, Washington, they are extremely strict on the rules for rebuilding vehicles. I went to the state police to find out about the required inspection and was quite shocked at their policies. They required that I have every receipt for all the parts I used to fix the bike. They told me explictly that they do NOT accept Ebay receipts, and if I had personal receipts, that they would only be good if they were notarized. The other thing was that even though I had a salvaged title and the receipt from the auction, they were going to "question" ownership and not give me a title for 3 years. Fortunately I am close enough to Oregon, the state the title was from, to just title the vehicle there as a rebuilt vehicle without any trouble. Now I can just transfer that title to Washington. A bit of a hassle, but I was not going to wait for 3 years for a valid title.

The other item was that in calling around for insurance, some companies are not willing to insure, even liability only, a bike that has been salvaged.

I wish you luck, and know you'll sure enjoy that 1st ride after you get it back together.

Jeff

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just finishing up repairing an '08 T100 I bought with a salvaged title. The forums and ebay are a great resource for parts, and I really appreciated all the help I've received from here to get my bike back on the road.

Just a couple things you might want to look into though. In my state, Washington, they are extremely strict on the rules for rebuilding vehicles. I went to the state police to find out about the required inspection and was quite shocked at their policies. They required that I have every receipt for all the parts I used to fix the bike. They told me explictly that they do NOT accept Ebay receipts, and if I had personal receipts, that they would only be good if they were notarized. The other thing was that even though I had a salvaged title and the receipt from the auction, they were going to "question" ownership and not give me a title for 3 years. Fortunately I am close enough to Oregon, the state the title was from, to just title the vehicle there as a rebuilt vehicle without any trouble. Now I can just transfer that title to Washington. A bit of a hassle, but I was not going to wait for 3 years for a valid title.

The other item was that in calling around for insurance, some companies are not willing to insure, even liability only, a bike that has been salvaged.

I wish you luck, and know you'll sure enjoy that 1st ride after you get it back together.

Jeff
Jeff, REALLY interesting info... I'd take away from it that it is absolutely imperative to check your states licensing requirements for rebuilt/salvaged bikes PRIOR to getting involved with such a project...

What is interesting is that a LOT of bikes are "written off" due to some relatively benign damage.... Forks are very vulnerable in accidents and can be replaced easily... yet you'd think it was the end of the world trying to get it back on the road from a registration and insurance standpoint... and yet, cars involved in accidents are repaired all the time and returned to service...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think SweatMachine has a SV650 front end on his..then you can end with with dual disk front brakes as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts