Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

'07 Speedy bought new in '08. Has run like a beast with no problems.
The other day, I ran out of gas in my driveway (I'm glad I made it home, at least)..... had no low level indicator, and my trip meter was off because I forgot to reset it after last fill up.
So, I knew I had to be low, but wasn't sure how low. Well, I found out as I sputtered in to my driveway.
Forward to the next day. Filled up clean gas can full of good grade premium, came back and filled Speedy about halfway.
Bike wouldn't start. Couple tries later, nothing.
Hooked up battery charger so I wouldn't drain battery down.
Charged over night and is at full charge now.
Nothing. Slight smell of gas, but no apparent "catch". No sputter... seems like no spark. I haven't pulled plugs yet.
Happen to anyone after an empty tank?
Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Everything sounds and looks like it should. Pump primes with key on.
Just turns over and nothing happens but a faint smell of fuel.
I have new plugs that I was going to swap in anyhow, but I just wondered if anyone else had this problem, and if it is related to the running out of gas, or, like everything else that goes wrong in my life.... is just coincidence.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and before anyone asks the idiot question, yes, the kill switch has been checked to ensure the bike should be running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check, check, and check.
I do welcome the idiot questions, though. Who knows, maybe I did forget something obvious.
But overall, I've checked everything I would think to check before I pull the tank with that stuff.
Just seeing if anyone has had the problem before I start pulling bike apart.
It's prolly all still warranty..... bike only has 1800 miles and was bought as brand new bike a year ago and has been dealer serviced for all scheduled stuff, and more frequent oil-changes than scheduled done by me.
But if it won't start, I can't get it to dealer. Nice catch-22.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Turn the key on and let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system. Then turn off the key and immediately remove one of the quick disconnect fittings from the tank and see if fuel spurts out. Watch your eyes! This will make sure fuel is actually getting where it needs to go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We'll just trace fuel flow up to the injectors to eliminate that problem, then if we're not in good shape well start looking at more invasive stuff like flooding our fouled plugs, whatever. Hope I can continue to help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts