Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an update on my blown up engine, Triumph Australia, came to the party and supplied the parts, provided I pay for the labour. So I was pretty happy about that. A big thankyou to Triumph Australia.

Just to complicate things, they had an old stock Jan 08 (pre-Brembo) model sitting on the shop floor gathering dust, so I decided to trade mine in against it but I kept all my old black panelwork, mostly because I didn`t want a green one.

So I had to fit my 07 plastic tank on the 08 metal tank bike. There ARE a few differences in the tanks, ie the vent hoses are the other way round on the metal tank (found that out the hard way) but the tank is now fitted, everything is fine except the low fuel warning light, which is now on all the time.

I have the older (plastic tank) manual with a diagram as a PDF but not the newer one, so I`m hoping someone has also done this swap, or they have a copy of each wiring diagram, to point me in the right direction, or are just clever enough (unlike me) to figure it out.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Sorry, don't know if the wiring is different or not, but I'd check first that the sender float is not stuck (or the breather tubes on metal tank are getting on the way). Also when I debugged a faulty sender a few years back I noticed that the fuel light changes state only if bike has travelled a small distance. I presume this is to prevent light flickering on/off when fuel is at threshold.

Might also be worthwhile to measure the sender unit with a multimeter. The resistance should change smoothly across the range (~15 to 130 Ohm) and not just jump between few values. The sender is quite a flimsy piece of chinese engineering, so it does not take much to break one.

If all else fails there is also the possibility that the sender output range has changed on later bikes, rather than the wiring. Hard to doublecheck with a multimeter if you don't have a newer sender at hand.

Only 2 wires going to the sender so if you had to change connectors or play with the wiring at some point, I'd also just try the wires the other way around.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Martin, in lieu of any more direct advice, I will try that next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts