Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title is kind of generic. Sorry. I've got a 07 Speed Triple that I bought at 3500 miles and have since put an additional 500 in the last few weeks. I've picked up a few things and was curious if I'm forgetting something or if there is anything that is a good idea to do.

I've already purchased some new plugs, NGK CR9EK, a couple jugs of Engine Ice, and Purolator oil filter. I'm finding it hard to find any place that carries any 15W50 oil, though, so that search continues. That even includes checking Wal-Mart and other local bike shops other than the Triumph place. I'll probably find out what my local Triumph dealer stocks and buy from them, but they've been in disarray lately due to a remodel.

I plan to pick up a BMC air filter as well since I'm already doing plugs. I also need to find some brake fluid because the front resevoir is a little brown. I may be doing more than is needed, especially at this mileage, but it's a peace of mind type thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont forget chain lube and maybe dry lube all your cables while your at it.
Yeah, I do have some Bel-Ray chain lube which I've used a couple times already after riding in the rain or washing the bike. It's kind of a pain in the butt to use, but at least it works.

I'm not familiar with dry lubing cables though. I'll have to look that one up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I changed out the coolant today and refilled with Engine Ice. I'm curious though. There was a bit of sludge in the overflow resevoir and the old coolant was brown. Having already changed a headgasket on my car from having oil in the coolant I'm really hoping this isn't the case. It wasn't chocolate milky, just brown. Here's a pic:

Any thoughts? Oh and this is with about 2 gallons of distilled water as well so the undiluted old coolant may have been darker.

·
Registered
369 Posts
dude! I See That!!!! Your Gonna Need An Engine Overhaul.....everything Is Contaminated By Rust!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just kidding. That's normal. The coolant triumph puts in the bikes ends up looking like that after being drained. The first time I saw it I thought "OH CRAP". I confrimed that that was normal form a dealer tech. I hope I had you going for a second. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I do have some Bel-Ray chain lube which I've used a couple times already after riding in the rain or washing the bike. It's kind of a pain in the butt to use, but at least it works.

I'm not familiar with dry lubing cables though. I'll have to look that one up.
Have you tried Chain Wax? It goes on clean, and doesn't fling off all over the place...

I live in Washington, and it never rains here...:rolleyes: Which is why I have to lube my chain every week...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just kidding. That's normal. The coolant triumph puts in the bikes ends up looking like that after being drained. The first time I saw it I thought "OH CRAP". I confrimed that that was normal form a dealer tech. I hope I had you going for a second. :D
Alright, yeah, ha ha. Xp You did have me going for a second though. Had me worried. I'm still not sure I filled it right though. Took the first ride after changing the coolant last night. It was cool out, but temp still reported at 7 bars at the end of about a 30 minute ride. I was on it a little bit, though. I was just under the impression that this Engine Ice was suppose to be great stuff. Maybe I filled it wrong?

- Pulled water pump hose. Drained liquid. Replaced hose.
- Removed radiator cap and bleed screw.
- Filled with coolant till at the bottom of the fill tube.
- Massaged coolant tubing to free up any air bubbles.
- Replaced radiator cap and bleed screw.
- Ran engine for a few minutes. Let cool.
- Topped up radiator again.
- Filled overflow resevoir to the minimum line.

Of course, I did this on a read stand with the rear tire off the ground. Maybe I should have done it on the kickstand? Or with someone holding it upright?

Have you tried Chain Wax? It goes on clean, and doesn't fling off all over the place...

I live in Washington, and it never rains here...:rolleyes: Which is why I have to lube my chain every week...
I'll have to try that Chain Wax. That Bel-Ray stuff I have is in a spray can. Makes a mess if I don't do it right and clean up afterwards. It foams up after spraying and I usually get overspray on the rear wheel. Is it best to spray the lube on the top, or outside of the chain or the inside that contacts the sprocket?

I'll get this right at some point.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Alright, yeah, ha ha. Xp You did have me going for a second though. Had me worried. I'm still not sure I filled it right though. Took the first ride after changing the coolant last night. It was cool out, but temp still reported at 7 bars at the end of about a 30 minute ride. I was on it a little bit, though. I was just under the impression that this Engine Ice was suppose to be great stuff. Maybe I filled it wrong?

- Pulled water pump hose. Drained liquid. Replaced hose.
- Removed radiator cap and bleed screw.
- Filled with coolant till at the bottom of the fill tube.
- Massaged coolant tubing to free up any air bubbles.
- Replaced radiator cap and bleed screw.
- Ran engine for a few minutes. Let cool.
- Topped up radiator again.
- Filled overflow resevoir to the minimum line.

Of course, I did this on a read stand with the rear tire off the ground. Maybe I should have done it on the kickstand? Or with someone holding it upright?

I'll have to try that Chain Wax. That Bel-Ray stuff I have is in a spray can. Makes a mess if I don't do it right and clean up afterwards. It foams up after spraying and I usually get overspray on the rear wheel. Is it best to spray the lube on the top, or outside of the chain or the inside that contacts the sprocket?

I'll get this right at some point.
So you haven't flushed the system before refilling, and you did not drain engine block (drain screw in the front of cylinder block, right above horn bracket). If you drain it again now, you'll see that fluid looks not much unlike brown sludge from the first drain. I have flushed it 3 times with distilled water (fill it, get to working temp, drain) before it was coming out almost clear. And I was opening block drain to get it all out every time.
As for chain lubing - spray on lower run of chain, holding shop towel under it and on the wheel side. Spray inside links, try to get it between plates; whatever gets on towel will lube outside when you move it along the chain while rotating wheel. I use Dupont teflon lubricant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts