Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
riding home tonight on the highway my bike decides to cut out on me while I'm slowing down from riding full throttle for a few miles.

Total power loss, i press the ignition and then she backfires, I twist the throttle slightly and it's like she floods on me and cuts our again.

I repeated this process 4 times on the highway with cars roaring past me before she got going again at full speed, full throttle.

HAs this happened to anyone? What did you think it was? I'd like to get this fixed up asap.

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
YES,YES,YES! I am in the throes of this problem, which was exactly like yours. After much diagnosing, carburetor cleaning, and electrical measuring - a faulty pick up coil. At least that is what the shop thinks, and I have been waiting weeks to get one. If that's not it, likely the ignition control unit.
Man, I thoroughly disassembled, cleaned, and re-set the carburetors twice, replaced the ht coil, pored over the entire fuel system, checked air gap on the pick up coil, WHEW!
Finally I brought it to the shop. Apparently the coils are often the source of such a problem. If you have no obvious fuel problems, you can save some grief perhaps and begin with this coil.
Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll add my nearly useless input here. I rode in the rain to a rally for over 100 miles, hard rain. Parked the bike for an hour, then took off again. The bike died within 5 miles. It came to a sputtering stop. It would not restart.

Fortunately my friend was riding with me and he rode me b!tch (first time, and most frightning riding I ever did), to town. We had lunch and picked up a can of WD-40 to try and dry out the electrics. This took about an hour, and the rain had slacked off to a drizzel.

We got back to my bike (more heart stopping action with 500+ pounds of people on a GS with no rear seat), and I decided to check the gas, just in case. I had 77 miles of very hard riding on it, but figured it might be leaking. Anyhow, no leak-lots of gas, so I tried it and it started right up.

Two theories on this, wet electrical components, either the sidestand switch or something under the tank, as it is all exposed to the rain, or the tank vapor locked on me.

Either way, the bike ran fine back to the rally, the next two days of sunny weather I rode a lot more with no issues at all. Still not sure what caused it to die!

Jim :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Please tell me all y'all have disassembled the battery, cleaned the terminals inside and out, cleaned your battery cables and then tightly reassembled everything.......

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Please tell me all y'all have disassembled the battery, cleaned the terminals inside and out, cleaned your battery cables and then tightly reassembled everything.......
Yup, and charged it too! The shop it's at pretty much determined the pick up coil. Apparently, it seems somewhat prevalent in 07 twins. So, as I have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the coil, one would think Triumph has some readily available.
Sheesh!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy fellas

Howdy, thanks for your advice. I saw my guru Triumph mechanic here in Melbourne town and he agrees it's an ignitor unit issue. Apparently the circuit board cracks in the heat - then causes problems. Thanks fellas for your imput.
The Triumph genuine part is very expensive, does anyone know where to get a non Trump ignitor unit?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Howdy folks,
riding home tonight on the highway my bike decides to cut out on me while I'm slowing down from riding full throttle for a few miles.

Total power loss, i press the ignition and then she backfires, I twist the throttle slightly and it's like she floods on me and cuts our again.

I repeated this process 4 times on the highway with cars roaring past me before she got going again at full speed, full throttle.

HAs this happened to anyone? What did you think it was? I'd like to get this fixed up asap.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Carb icing ?(Melbourne after all) are the carb heaters still connected and working?

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I had the same- this might help

06, carb, 900 motor, = Scrambler and a bitchin one at that.
Driving down the motorway and stop. A couple of clicks of the engine start and off I go.
Things the team said to check:
1. Petrol cap vent- Free
2. Petrol valve at tank- Free
3. Battery connections- Free
4. Kickstand switch- Free
5. Pickup at alternator- Gasket $6.77 USD. I set it at .80mm. It was way off and the little girl actually ran better after.
6. Seat hitting wiring harness- Thick rubber bungee and glue from the garage. Free
7. Coils- never had to replace. It’s close to $200 USD if you get that fare.
I found the little princess had put 15lbs on my rear with the great cooking I enjoy and once I shimmed the seat it never happened again. I did however do everything before.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Howdy, thanks for your advice. I saw my guru Triumph mechanic here in Melbourne town and he agrees it's an ignitor unit issue. Apparently the circuit board cracks in the heat - then causes problems. Thanks fellas for your imput.
The Triumph genuine part is very expensive, does anyone know where to get a non Trump ignitor unit?
There are no aftermarket Ignitor units available only Triumph made units and it not that common for them to go out .Just had to replace one on an 05 speedmaster and at $635.00 usd and 2 weeks for the part to arrive its not a fun expenditure

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

06, carb, 900 motor, = Scrambler and a bitchin one at that.
Driving down the motorway and stop. A couple of clicks of the engine start and off I go.
Things the team said to check:
1. Petrol cap vent- Free
2. Petrol valve at tank- Free
3. Battery connections- Free
4. Kickstand switch- Free
5. Pickup at alternator- Gasket $6.77 USD. I set it at .80mm. It was way off and the little girl actually ran better after.
6. Seat hitting wiring harness- Thick rubber bungee and glue from the garage. Free
7. Coils- never had to replace. It’s close to $200 USD if you get that fare.
I found the little princess had put 15lbs on my rear with the great cooking I enjoy and once I shimmed the seat it never happened again. I did however do everything before.
Thanks for the tips - seat tip will do this weekend?
Pickup at Alternator - Gasket will get my mechanic to check - i only ride it and pay the bills - Charlie fixes what i break.:)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There's this cheapo-looking one on ebay for $179. Fits 2001-2007. It's not a Triumph one so someone must be making these things.

That looks a bit like the Procom unit. "Americana" is half-right in that Procom (and this bunch) only make them for the 360 degree engines (Bonnie, T100,& Thruxton), not the 270's that the Scrambler, America and Speedmaster use.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Definately a Procom unit, look at the part number and wording on the e-bay page then look here on the Procom site:-
I think you're right. I don't know what to think of that company, sounds and looks good, but they seem to be just an importer of stuff from China. Some of it quite dubious...see the "magic power box" and its claims, and also the "ignition power booster".

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think you're right. I don't know what to think of that company, sounds and looks good, but they seem to be just an importer of stuff from China. Some of it quite dubious...see the "magic power box" and its claims, and also the "ignition power booster".
Yeah I think there's some voodoo magic going on there with the "Magic" Power Box and Ignition Power Booster but they give a money back gaurantee so they must work eh? :rolleyes:

The Procom ignitors have been used by many on these forums but they too have a rather checkered history:-

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/95454-bc-ignition-box-what-is-it.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/86855-cdi-boxes.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/82551-final-mods-pro-com-acting-funny.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/70121-procom-again.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/65438-procom-cdi-box-trouble-and-confusion.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
procom hmmmmmmmmm

thanks for the links. I'm going to stay away fromt he procom units I think. Touch wood the bike hasn't been cutting out as much, I haven't been riding redline so it's being a good ol'scoot. thanks again for all info - will leave it for now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts