Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new to me 06 speed triple and was riding and it seems like the bike want to run on the hot side. Is this correct?

Using the onboard thermostat I only have 4 bars that are not marked (lousy way to really gauge temp) and the fan comes on pretty consistent if I am moving slow.

Can anyone chime on thier experiences on this? is that pretty par for the norm on the triple?

Sorry, I did a search but new to the forum so I didnt get any really decent results...

Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is normal for the speed. I think the manual says that 5 or 6 bars are normal but the only time i run at that temp is when it is 40F. This has come up in a number of other threads and everyone runs on the hot side. Unless you see the overheat light you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right on thanks guys. I figured that was the case but, you never know!

love the bike though. coming off a vstrom 650 and wanted a more SPORT tour bike. well, got that! when I test rode the bikeand had to get back on my bike within ten feet of moving I was like, My bike sucks...:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is normal for the speed. I think the manual says that 5 or 6 bars are normal but the only time i run at that temp is when it is 40F. This has come up in a number of other threads and everyone runs on the hot side. Unless you see the overheat light you have nothing to worry about.
WHEN it is 40? you make that sound like a hot day...
could be true with the snow in background!

·
Registered
389 Posts
WHEN it is 40? you make that sound like a hot day...
could be true with the snow in background!
No, we have just been having some weird weather here this spring. When i bought the bike in February it was 65, One week later we had a foot of fresh snow. 2 weeks ago it was 70 and humid and now we have snow in the forecast for tomorrow. We get one good day of riding and then its back to cold and rain/snow. At this point i am sick of waiting for good days and i ride i at any temp above freezing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's 40F 5C right effing now !
It has been fine early Canadian riding weather :)
And even now I see 6 bars with only a little less fan action
I have 33F right now :D

Wisconsin is colder than Canada :p

Oh i and i rode today, it was around 41 and my fan never came on. Why is your coming on at these temps?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've never seen 7 bars, so I guess mine runs fairly cool compared to others?

Normal for me is 5, but it will reach 6 with stop/start around town. Fan kicks in on 6 and will drop to 5 fairly quickly. Temperature range here is from 0 degrees C - approximately 33 degrees C.

·
Registered
656 Posts
We have had one of the best easters ever here four days of sunshine any warmer and it would have been too hot.Went riding for 3 out of the 4 days:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts