Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time poster, and only mildly mechanically talented.
A few weeks ago my 2006 Triump Tiger 955i started having a bizarre and intermittent problem.
While riding, or occasionally while stopped, the temp gauge needle will drop to its coldest reading and the engine behaves in what I assume is Limp Mode (throttle severely retarded, and seaminly stuggling to idle). By "coldest reading" I mean a little below the C line, but not 'off' or resting on the stopper needle.

No dummy lights have come on ever; no check engine, no indicators on dash other than a temp gauge that's not showing the truth.

It'll run while in this limping state, but its difficult to manage (I have to roll a lot more throttle than necessary normally to get revs up to get going from a stop, for one example -- maintaining steady speed is also a challenge). The motor has yet to die or cut completely out, other than my occasional stall, while its in its Limp Mode.
Inexplicably, the temp gauge will rise and return to normal temp readings, and the limp mode effect goes away.
  • so, if temp = normal -> I'm blasting around to my hearts contentment
  • notice crappy throttle response, check gauge and sure enough -> I'm in high-stressed, "*** are you doing?!?" limping mode
Coolant level in the reservoir is in normal range between min and max. When not in limp mode, the gauge is reading in the normal range, about 1/5 to 1/4 the way up between C and H limits, and I've never noticed any higher, never say halfway or higher toward H (I don't believe it's over heating).

The stints of Limp Mode are sporadic and have lasted a few seconds, to a few minutes at most. My work commute is 20-25 minutes long, and in recent days I'm averaging two episodes of limp mode per trip.
I'm planning on ordering a new temp sensor, or temp sender unit, this weekend. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience and any insights to remedy are very welcome.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum :).

Just because the reservoir is showing ok, doesn't necessarily mean there is enough water in the actual cooling system. There have been reports in the past of low water or an airlock in the system but the reservoir showing ok. The hoses on the reservoir could be the wrong way round too, that's happened before.

First of all, I would take the tank off (an easy job, even for the mildly mechanically minded ;)) and check the cooling system is full of water. So it's a case of taking the thermostat off and squeezing the hoses to show what fluid is present. If it's low, fill with water and bleed using the bleed screw. I would also check the integrity of the reservoir hoses. Make sure they flow freely to where they should flow.

That's what I would do for a starter. If that doesn't solve your problem, then I would invest in a TuneECU cable and try and troubleshoot the issue electronically.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. And if you you need any further info, or need things explaining a bit more, give us a shout :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. Alas, I've ridden around 40 miles since posting yesterday, and the limp problem didn't crop up. I'll get to the suggested work if the problem occurs in the future.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
His gauge is going down to the lowest reading (ice cold), not pegged to overheating, though.
Pop the tank and take a good look at the connection and wiring for the coolant temperature sensor.
If that's okay maybe the sensor took a dump?
The manual makes a point to not disconnect the wiring but I unplugged mine and it still functions so who knows.

You want that TuneECU cable so you're not working blind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His gauge is going down to the lowest reading (ice cold), not pegged to overheating, though.
Pop the tank and take a good look at the connection and wiring for the coolant temperature sensor.
If that's okay maybe the sensor took a dump?
The manual makes a point to not disconnect the wiring but I unplugged mine and it still functions so who knows.

You want that TuneECU cable so you're not working blind.
Yep, that was my thought too; checking / replacing the 'water temp gauge sender unit'.
Thanks for the TuneECU thing. I'll look into that, if the problem reoccurs, so far it's gone away completely lately.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Is that the only gauge that is intermittent? When I had charging issues, it seems like the first things affected were the gauges & tach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy,
I'm having a similar issue with my 2004 Tiger. The only differences are that the check engine light does come on and my bike rev's high and stays revving higher than it should no matter what gear it's in (no stalling or low rev issue). Same issue with the temp needle dropping all the way down to the left though. The issue goes away for a day or 2 but returns. Perhaps I'll look into that Tune ECU, unless someone out there has expertise in motorcycle forum diagnostics(?)!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts