Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Top screws on the carbs are not Phillips.
Put the Phillips in there and it will destroy them faster than , well you know.
They are JIS.

I swapped mine out for cap screws.
Be very gentle, its really soft alloy in the carbs, just nip them up.
Thanks! Hadn't noticed that yet. I have the bits but oh man what a mess If i'd a gone in with Phillips. Chrome tops are rusty but I'll have to keep my eye out for some. Maybe just ride it and upgrade carbs later... Good advice from you and the earlier poster about replacing with cap screws. Thank again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update and a couple questions where I'm out of my league...

Pulled the carbs and first up is ultrasonic cleaning. The looked in fairly reasonable shape, though heavily varnished. The "locked-up" throttle mentioned earlier turns our not to be at grip housing or cables - actuator frozen at carb. Hopefully is just gunked up but couldn't get it to budge by hand though didn't force it. Hopefully good cleaning will free it. Chrome vacuum covers fairly pitted. Guess I'll keep my eye out for some but don't see them much on used parts sites.

Noticed the carb rubbers have a middle band that narrows and was oriented to top. Also on the rubber, the inside-middle (facing carb-side) has a notch on either side of stop. Interesting. Former seems to be done to orient carb approach-angle to vacuum take-off point section, with the latter internal notches in rubber to create better intake seal? (Vacuum-point rubber has arrow orientation so good to go there.)

Below is a pic of the the two inlets to head. Seems to have a combination of normal "dust" from combustion colored to some extent by non-op? Valves don't seem to travel much I noticed. Should I try to address anything short of pulling head? Any thoughts on condition would be greatly appreciated!

Header.jpg

Tank is now at dent-pullers. Big question is whether the tank overflow tube is critical. From photo below access to the dent is partially blocked by overflow tube. I don't think its a problem if it goes, but just have to be careful not to overfill? Bike is 06 carb and i don't think that tube has anything to do with the departed enviro systems. Tank is a problem without many options that don't cost a grand or more so would like to save it if possible...

Tank.jpg

Next up is sprocket and chain inspection, brake service and tire replacement. Shocks pretty rusty so probably replacement. For 8400 mi some parts of bike seem to be 150k! Like a tweaker whose 25 but looks 80!

Anyhow, thanks again to all for all the help!

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Top screws on the carbs are not Phillips.
Put the Phillips in there and it will destroy them faster than , well you know.
They are JIS.

I swapped mine out for cap screws.
Be very gentle, its really soft alloy in the carbs, just nip them up.
Yes, JIS is better if you can get your hands on a JIS screwdriver. I was able to get mine out with a regular Philips screwdriver, but they were not solidly stuck and the bike was relatively new at the time.

+1 on the advice to not overtighten. They only need to be snug.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
There are seemingly endless parts for these bike out here. Don't mess with carbs that have been sitting, get ones that are take offs or convert to better carbs. as for that once gorgeous tank ( my favorite colours) you will no doubt have to paint it and the dent puller will most likely not get all the crease out. We have the parts we can rebuild it. Just research.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tangerine Non-Op Update

23 SEP Update - photos at bottom.

Good news and not so good news. First the tank came back from puller and was amazed at results. Didn't even break overflow tube. Guy did a brilliant job. Carbs, however, another story. Shop couldn't free slide for ultrasonic cleaning so quoted 3.5 hours tear-down to clean only - not rebuild. So either rebuild myself or as previous poster mentioned I'll have to spring for take-offs or aftermarket ones. Not sure a rebuild is worth my time?

Most everything else ready to go or quantified. About $1700 into it now pending carb situation. I know this is a pretty much a "middle of the road" resto, but thought it'd be of interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Im not sure but do the PZ1 - PZ2 and PZ3 fit a little better than the Phillips.

Here is my 31 piece set that gets some use on the lighter stuff.

1/4” Drive Socket & Bit Set Metric
31 pieces
Chrome Vanadium Steel
Satin Chrome finish (Metric)
11 6 point Sockets x 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14mm
3 Pozi Bit Sockets x PZ1, PZ2, PZ3
3 Phillips Bit Sockets x PH1, PH2, PH3
3 Slotted Sockets x 4, 5.5, 6mm
5 Hex Bit Sockets x 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm
2 x Extension Bars 2" & 6”
1 x Universal Joint
1 x Sliding T Handle
1 x Spinner Handle
1 x 36T QR Reversible Ratchet Handle
Metal storage case.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How do they do that ??
Have to admit I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw it! Puller was doubtful when he saw it as the vent tube was blocking access. But Ian was game and has a special rack for tanks. He showed me how he had to modify a few of his tools to work around the spine and tubing.

Ian does amazing work here in Napa. The swells around here own a lot of high-end sleds so he does mainly auto work but loves bikes. He was most concerned with brittle paint given age and sun exposure, so was surprised when its 13 year-old paint actually softened-up from heat gun and allowed the pull with no flaking. All with spoons and slow nudging. He said he had tanks only a few years-old flake badly from smaller dents.

Its stuff like this I enjoy the heck out of. Its not much compared to some of the other amazing projects I've seen here but meeting folks along the way like this is just great. Also, for $400 saved some real money - it's not perfect, but I guess ole' Neil and crew in UK put some quality paint on this Bonnie!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I know its been awhile and wanted to update on progress. Life kinda happens all at once and lost some momentum on the Bonnie. She's patient, tho, and still has center stage in garage with everything else swirling around it! I'm sure all know the feeling sometimes!

Anyhow fair amount of progress - doesn't look like it from photos but a lot of the lower work is done. I think its coming up pretty nicely. So whats left is tank assembly, some controls stuff and, yeah, carbs. I have a few questions but I guess best posted in the tech section so hopefully you guys will have a few tips for what I should do. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
All finished!
Not perfect but I think it ended up looking pretty nice. Took apart and renewed just about everything but engine and front forks. At 8400 miles figured engine didn’t need it yet, and for the forks, different springs at some point. About 2,200 US for the project, (without CR’s) - not too bad considering no AQ cost.

Had some trepidation about “will it start” as other than checking compression I had no idea if bike would turn over (rotten gas, dead battery, carbs frozen, etc.). A little Seafoam and fresh gas and she caught first try! First ride was exhilarating! Bike is so stable and just wants to track wherever you point her! I’m primarily a dirt guy now and I’d forgotten how great these bikes are.

As mentioned, carbs were stuck on throttle side. They started to move a bit but nonetheless remained badly tarred. A great forum member had a set of take-offs and generously offered them from UK. Can’t thank you enough! While sorting that out I also tried these CR’s. Not sure I’ll keep them on now that I have OEM’s but they are interesting – really big throat and gas volume going through them. Rubbers don’t fit very well and have to check for any vacuum leaks though not seeing any rev lag, etc. Dial it at lower RPM’s and bogs just a tad before responding, but not sure if in the range of normal.

The TOR’s are nice. Relatively mild until you dial them. WOT through the gears and they roar! Makes me think maybe baffles were modified, or maybe it’s the CR’s, but can’t tell as I don’t have any reference to how they should sound.

I want to thank all the great forum members for your comments, insights, and advice. Made a big difference to this project!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Great job there but i can see one serious problem. You finished it too soon! You will need to find yourself another project before we all go into lock down for a few months.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts