Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here (hello!) and in the beginnings of a resto on a 06 T-100. Mainly a dirt guy now but had a ’77 tiger and when I saw this one just had to have it. Non-op for a number of years and it shows but think it can come back to life in good order.
Bike.JPG
First off tank got severely dinged from Napa earthquake in 14. Location seems good for a rub-out but the rust seems daunting. On the other hand, carb tanks with this paint seem pretty rare and I’m guessing new ones not cheap either. If the rust can be addressed then maybe pop dent and touch-up paint.
Dinged Tank.JPG Tank rust.JPG
Hate to fill and paint it, well, because Neil.
Neil.JPG
Lots of naughty rusty bits and rubbers pretty dead on tubes etc. Peg mounts has some swell, ahem, patina.
Rusty bits.JPG Peg Mount.JPG
Tires are a shame. Front still has sprues, but rot is evident. Rear is new, too, and might not be as bad but not the place to save a buck for sure.
frt tire.JPG rear tire.JPG
Valve cover has some crazing – I'll have to see if there's any remedy for that.
valve cover.JPG
Interesting silencer. Not sure I’ve ever seen one of these. Stern warning reminds me of those old mattress tag labels. Anyhow don’t know why they’re on the bike.
silencer.JPG

Really appreciate any insights and I’ll post more as I go. Next step is that tank tho, and see what can be done. Cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought same 06 T100 that had been sitting for 3 years in pieces, not running, Filthy un-loved or maintained bike. I started by spraying whole bike with de-greaser and power washed it, Sorted out electrical issues (thats why it wasnt running) New tires,battery, rotors,pads,computer, led's, changed oil and brake fluid. My tank had a dent too bought not as big on the top, I used a glue gun dent puller and got it about 90% out, It's barely noticeable now. Inside of my tank and carbs were clean and I ended up running techron with gas through it and it runs good now. Your is a little rougher but I think you still can get it up to speed

Attachments

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Those pipes have that message on them,because they are off-road pipes. Known as TORS. (Triumph Off Road ) In this country they are good to go on the road with. They are also the quietest after market pipes you can buy for our Triumph's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great insights! Beautiful bike restoration. (Grips look sharp - what kind did you use?) Hopefully I can get close to yours though the tank might not make it back. Having the rust extent checked out currently. Hopefully the worst of it is just on the ridge. Peering inside after removing the fuel tap assembly I saw good metal so maybe salvageable. Bike only has 8400 miles so its a shame given condition. I can see I'll need to replace most of the external gaskets, hoses and such - is it better to go through a dealer (not that there's one near Napa) or is on-line a good place to source? Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those pipes have that message on them,because they are off-road pipes. Known as TORS. (Triumph Off Road ) In this country they are good to go on the road with. They are also the quietest after market pipes you can buy for our Triumph's.
Thank you for the info! Never would have known. Ironic they are OK for USA (especially CA) with that stamped on 'em. Being a big two-stroker maybe there's a few baffles I can modify!:wink2: Nonetheless, interesting someone would spend cash on quieter silencers for street - I wonder how common they are?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Thank you for the info! Never would have known. Ironic they are OK for USA (especially CA) with that stamped on 'em. Being a big two-stroker maybe there's a few baffles I can modify!:wink2: Nonetheless, interesting someone would spend cash on quieter silencers for street - I wonder how common they are?
They are fairly common. I spent money on Dominator Touring pipes, for 2 different bikes. I don't want my bike(s) to sound like a Harley. Besides loud pipes would hurt what little hearing I have left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck on the build. Looks like a long “fun” project.
Will be worth it to get it all sorted, by you, peace of mind knowing it’s done right.

Ray
Thanks Ray! I've always loved British for some reason. Also had a Norton 850 commando back in the day as well. Brother had a AH 3000 MkII - I remember when he hit a deep puddle once water shot up out of the shift boot! Also trying to keep those three carbs tuned! My TR-7 I don't recall much but probably a good thing! (shoulda got the TR-6, but noooo had to have the wedge design!) Still something about all of them. I keep my eye out for a BSA thumper but don't see too many of them nowadays. Love to show up at a vet hill-climb in one of those!

This'll be a great project for me and my boy's, though, (they're 13) and they loved the neat stuff like the signed tank with hand painted striping. Great education that craftsmanship still matters!

Next up, off come the carbs. Can only imagine the horror that awaits!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are fairly common. I spent money on Dominator Touring pipes, for 2 different bikes. I don't want my bike(s) to sound like a Harley. Besides loud pipes would hurt what little hearing I have left.
Good points! I play in a working band so my hearing ain't so hot to begin with! Braaping on my two-strokes don't help either! (wife says its selective, but meh!) Some say loud pipes help to be heard if not seen, but I dunno - wonder if there's ever been any research on that. Perhaps its a bit of an argument of convenience.

In any event those silencers are like new and love their shape - they look like a chromed version of those old cherry bombs or thrush. Can't wait to hear that bike purr.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tangerine Non-Op Update

Update on getting the bike operating. While tank is out for rust evaluation starting on other items and have just a few questions. Sorry to be such a noob, but if anyone can shed some insight, I’d really appreciate it!

So bike cleaned up fairly well. Rust and rot the main issues it seems. On the harness there’s two open plugs. Guessing they are for models with tank information panels - not T-100’s?
Cleaned.JPG
harness.jpg

Removing side covers was a bit of a surprise. Expected standard airbox, etc. but appears a little modding has been done? Hopefully it won’t interfere with carb rebuilds. I gather the stock airboxes are less than popular so maybe a good thing. I haven’t ridden street in CA so I’ll have to check to see if bike will have problems getting smogged – if they even require it in CA but as this state regulates cow farts I’m guessing yes.

I saw there’s “lock-outs” for pilots in US and CA models requiring special tool to remove? Not a lot of vids out there on carbs so will have to see how it goes.
Carb 1.JPG
Carb 2.JPG

Noticed this carb attachment was disconnected. Not sure what it was for or if important, but shop manual should tell me more. Also throttle is stuck so will have to see if problem is on bars or if actuators on carbs are frozen…
carb attachment.jpg

Header bolts really bad. Hopefully I can get nuts off without damaging studs. On the header pipe there’s some rust – no pitting, though. Perhaps super fine steel wool the right approach or do you think they are toast?
Header.jpg
header pipe.JPG

Noticed these holes in speedo cable. Thought at first they were from wear, but looking at them closer seems like they are intentional? If so, not sure what that’s for – maybe just crimps?
speedo.jpg

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
I can't advise on much of it, but I can tell you this:

1. Carb pilot screws use a special "D" shaped bit that is available for a few dollars from aftermarket vendors. If you're more ambitious, Newbonneville.com sells a nice thumbscrew replacement pair for them. You might consider replacing the o-rings in them, and watch out for the little springs and washers, some of which might remain stuck in the carb when you remove the screws. Be careful.

Also, replace the Phillips carb screws with equivalent stainless hex head screws, and consider buying a mini-ratchet kit so you can get them off for adjustment without having to remove other parts.

2. Crimps in speedo (and clutch?) cable are normal, they all have that.

3. Connectors in wiring harness might be for removed air injection equipment, but I don't actually know that. My '05 used vacuum-powered air injection.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This three-wire connector off the right side carb is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Lots of folks disable/unplug them with little-to-no issue. Seems like the bike had a standard series of mods done to it so I would also check to see what igniter the bike is running as it has also likely had a reflash of the standard ignition map to match the TORs and pod filters.

Looks like the carb bowl heaters are still plugged in as well. If you are of a mind to, you can pull those off as well since you're in Napa, CA. Not required since it never gets cold enough to need the fuel bowls heated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my pilot d shape screws out with a small tweezers, Then soldered some brass rod and hex nut so I can now adjust by hand. As far as DMV in CA. regarding smog, As long as you have over 7000 miles on bike they don't care, I just went through registering a few months back

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't advise on much of it, but I can tell you this:

1. Carb pilot screws use a special "D" shaped bit that is available for a few dollars from aftermarket vendors. If you're more ambitious, Newbonneville.com sells a nice thumbscrew replacement pair for them. You might consider replacing the o-rings in them, and watch out for the little springs and washers, some of which might remain stuck in the carb when you remove the screws. Be careful.

Also, replace the Phillips carb screws with equivalent stainless hex head screws, and consider buying a mini-ratchet kit so you can get them off for adjustment without having to remove other parts.

2. Crimps in speedo (and clutch?) cable are normal, they all have that.

3. Connectors in wiring harness might be for removed air injection equipment, but I don't actually know that. My '05 used vacuum-powered air injection.
Thanks for the very helpful info! Really appreciate the cautions, too, as from my experience carb work can either be a good day, or extended episodes of expletives!

One of the connectors looks to be for an accessory (Blk/Purpl), and other is hard to tell. Only connections I can see using green w/ red stripe and blk. are turn markers (not likely I'm guessing) and carb vent valve, which if part of emissions then abandoned I guess as no evidence of the carbon sequestration stuff on bike. Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This three-wire connector off the right side carb is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Lots of folks disable/unplug them with little-to-no issue. Seems like the bike had a standard series of mods done to it so I would also check to see what igniter the bike is running as it has also likely had a reflash of the standard ignition map to match the TORs and pod filters.

Looks like the carb bowl heaters are still plugged in as well. If you are of a mind to, you can pull those off as well since you're in Napa, CA. Not required since it never gets cold enough to need the fuel bowls heated.
Great info! Makes sense now as its a plug to nowhere now and was just tucked behind cover. Thought about that with the heaters given climate around here but good to know it shouldn't effect anything once disconnected.

Shot of igniter below - looks to be stock but as you mention likely flashed as I understand bike tends to backpop and generally run poor if not done after those mods. Plus it looks like it was once removed as its bunged-up a bit under the Triumph logo (might be unrelated though). Another variable to manage when finally getting it going, I guess.

Do you think its worth getting a new igniter? I've seen ones promising to have different advance versions already preloaded?

Thanks again for the response - I really appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my pilot d shape screws out with a small tweezers, Then soldered some brass rod and hex nut so I can now adjust by hand. As far as DMV in CA. regarding smog, As long as you have over 7000 miles on bike they don't care, I just went through registering a few months back
Great tip on the adjuster modification! And thanks for the DMV update and bike has a little under 8500 miles on it. But given all the current uncertainty in CA over OHV green-sticker/red-sticker changes about to happen by the pearl-clutching, hand-wringers in Sacramento I'm going to move quick though! Luckily it was registered non-op since 2012 so the DMV estimate looks to be about $150 to bring it to current. Hopefully the state web-site "estimator" is correct!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I rode an '06 tangerine bike for 5 years. IMO the most beautiful of all the modern Bonnies. Hope you get it back to its original luster.

I'm now, well always have been, but now exclusively a 2 stroke woods guy. Got sick of having my life threatened by distracted or angry drivers. Dirt has always been my first love, though. The KDX200 was a great bike. I'm a bit of a Kawasaki guy, but they've become quite difficult to find without needing a LOT of work. I'm on a KTM 200XC and my boy a 200 XC-W.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Top screws on the carbs are not Phillips.
Put the Phillips in there and it will destroy them faster than , well you know.
They are JIS.

I swapped mine out for cap screws.
Be very gentle, its really soft alloy in the carbs, just nip them up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I rode an '06 tangerine bike for 5 years. IMO the most beautiful of all the modern Bonnies. Hope you get it back to its original luster.

I'm now, well always have been, but now exclusively a 2 stroke woods guy. Got sick of having my life threatened by distracted or angry drivers. Dirt has always been my first love, though. The KDX200 was a great bike. I'm a bit of a Kawasaki guy, but they've become quite difficult to find without needing a LOT of work. I'm on a KTM 200XC and my boy a 200 XC-W.
I've always liked em too! Around here its all Husq or KTM nowadays but that KDX is bullet proof and rips fenceposts! (OK except for that KIPS rattle) Photo below and hope its OK to post a non-brit bike! XC's are great too! Braaap!

I hear you about the cage drivers. Nor cal has a lot who are absolutely clueless. Its like they have no idea that there are turn signals. Plus where I like in Napa there's a road up to lake Berryessa that draws dressers, crotch rockets and insane sport bikes like flies. Summertime has someone going down a canyon about every other week. I'm loving this Bonny tho - just right to ease back in on street. Anyhow redsticker season just about to start so can ride the smoker on OHV - for now anyways until the eco-police outlaw em all along with blowers, trimmers and chain saws!

I do hope the bike turns out well. Heartbroken over tank. The interior cleaned up perfectly but I'm resigned to the paint flaking big time when the dent pulls. Paint os old so not even sure heating it up will help. I keep my eye out for one but they're like hens teeth...Thanks for the note!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts