Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my panniers last sept and had in spare room till last week when i rode to the island for the Superbikes.
20klms out of cooma doing 120ks . The left hand pannier door flipped open and all my gear was tossed onto the highway. including my $1300 digital camera that was damaged.
Plus : the pannier door did not line up and had 1/4 inch gap at each end when mounted on bike.
Anyway , got home last night and went to local Trumpy dealer in Newcastle and it seems that I have the old panniers that are on recall. Rang Peter Stevens in Melbourne and to their credit said they would send a replacement updated set of panniers straight away.
Anyway, what I wopuld like to know is, are all you 2006 ST pannier owners happy with your set.

·
Registered
39 Posts
THe new ones are much better all around EXCEPT for storage space. They seal better, can be operated with one hand not three, but I cannot fit either of my full face helmets inside. That really stinks...now I hafta find a place for a helmet lock.

But the new back are mucho bettero.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am happy with mine. Of course I wish they were smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside...

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I got a refund on the factory luggage and went with GIVI boxes and SW Motech metal work.

IMHO Triumph really took a backward step with the luggage this time around.

The internal dimensions are very odd. The lock housings intrude to far into the load space, so its very difficult to pack anyhthing, even using the Triumph bags.

You can fit one helmet in the top but not much else.

In all, a very badly thought out system, but they have stubbornly stuck with it.

Brett.

·
Registered
861 Posts
On 2007-03-08 20:32, Rammstein wrote:
Anyway, what I would like to know is, are all you 2006 ST pannier owners happy with your set.
I'm a happy owner. They are solid and airtight. For longer trips, I strap on a waterproof duffel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On 2007-03-09 10:47, airrider03 wrote:
Anyway, what I would like to know is, are all you 2006 ST pannier owners happy with your set.
I'm a happy owner. They are solid and airtight. For longer trips, I strap on a waterproof duffel.

+1... or at least happy enough with a larger tourer in the garage too... Ortleib Duffels rock!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Anyway, what I wopuld like to know is, are all you 2006 ST pannier owners happy with your set.
Yes. As was said, the internal dimensions are odd and capacity is smaller than I'd prefer, but I also have a large Givi topbox that swallows two fullface helmets and locks as airtight as the redesigned Triumph panniers. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts