Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to run a shop, but looking just tonight I can tell you folks know a heck of a lot more about these bikes than I ever did. I am eyeballing a 06 Blue ST with 200 miles & higher screen from the selling dealer for 9200.usd the bags are new in the boxes but mounts are on. Previous owner apparently buys and buys .... we had a few like that too. I always like to modify so am a bit worried about the model, but after 8-9 Asian sportbikes I think I'm ready. Hope its a tuesday bike...cheers. any thoughts much appreciated upfront. Just sold FZ1 w/133 at the rear & racetech goodies so some of my friends think Im nuts. I hope its exotic but running, oh the triple I used to love running the speed triples in DC and that was 99/00. My mechanics used to run hiding when pissed trumpet guys showed up, I hope the dealer network has improved since 99/00, its my biggest worry. No parts no tools no help have a nice day. Not being contrarian just a little worried.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On 2006-11-27 21:24, VaRollOn wrote:
Rear suspension failure threads making me cringe.
That would be the appropriate response.

On the upside:
a) I would welcome my heat issue back this time of year.
b) Paint bubbles in a windscreen that I replaced for other reasons don't bother me much.
c) I fell outside the rear brake recall S/N range.
d) Front lever feel bothered me but IMO did not present a safety issue, I fixed it with 675 caliper pistons.
e) I can R&R the seat in just a few minutes.
f) The bike starts quickly enough with the right (or wrong according to dealer) technique.
g) I am perfectly happy with the "fixed" or "new" luggage.
h) A good throttle lock cures numb right hand syndrome.
g) The 1050 triple pulls like God's own locomotive.
h) It's precise and nimble for a 2-up luggage toting beast.

On the downside:
a) One rear suspension collapse could ruin your whole day.
b) Some user assembly required.

As for my dealer experience:
My previous post was removed so I won't go there...

All in all I would still buy the Sprint.
My selection criteria started with ABS, Weight was second and so on. True or not, what I read about ST4s maintenance scared me away. I didn't want to pay admission to a R1200S.
My list boiled down to the Sprint and the Viffer. I believed the Viffer to be more difficult for the owner to maintain, comparatively lacking in midrange torque and not without reliability issues of its own.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-27 21:24, VaRollOn wrote:
Rear suspension failure threads making me cringe.
As it should. I was one of the lucky early ones to suffer this. 7000K since the fix and all is well so far. I'll have it inspected again at the next service (about another 7000-9000Km

On 2006-11-27 22:15, CLB wrote:
My list boiled down to the Sprint and the Viffer. I believed the Viffer to be more difficult for the owner to maintain, comparatively lacking in midrange torque and not without reliability issues of its own.
Sounds reasonable to me :)

Check out my Sprint page in my sig below for why I bought one. I'm a real ride tart and after 11months am always looking at new mounts. I've now got over 26000K on the beast now and except for the Speed Triple (which I'm not sure about touring on) I can't find anything else I'd like.....

Considering what you pay for a Sprint compared to German, Italian or hypersports Japanese you can buy it AND do up the suspension and maybe add a "can" for the same money as the Jap litre bikes stock, and still have plenty of change from the other Euro bikes. Couple that with the triple motor and that makes an unbelievable combination!

Russ :cool:

[ This message was edited by: ruscook on 2006-11-28 05:20 ]

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
VaRollOn,
I have had lots of Jap iron also.

What these puppies have is character in spades and torque right through the rev range.

And they are very capable machines.

I am in love with my '04 model, very easy to ride fast or just plug through town.

Also wot Russ said.

Cheers,
Davem :cool:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CLB---Amazing.. the R1200S is where I started and the price drove me off. I also had considered the new Concours, but pics from the dealer shows online looked industrial not classy to me. The VFR I keep coming back to but I started this whole thing trying to get more character than my FZ not equal or less. The Sprint sounds right hope its a good one. Will ask about issues raised, thanks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
VaRollon,

That price is not good. My buddy couldn't sell his on Craigs list for anything. Finally went for $6800. He had an '05 with hard bags and 9k on the dial!!

Even ebay has them for buy now price of $7900

I would not pay that much for it.

The dealer can sell you a new one for $1000 off MSRP if they want to. That would make a new '07 with zero miles $9800 w/bags!

They are not flying off the shelves like you think.

Please haggle some more or walk away. They have cheaper ones out there.

And also join our group!!!
:-D

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Triumphite--thanks for the honest,heady advice. I ran a store for 5 years and you still can get swept up in the emotion especially when weak after selling your current ride. I had a real hard time selling the Triumphs at all, but having the 97' R1 next to them didn't help. I can certainly be patient as no trade is involved, thanks. I will certainly join your group once in, the community is something I really liked about the brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts