Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how to fit the Tom Tom Rider to the Sprint ST? I've taken the side faining off and exposed the back of the fuse box, I've even identified that a 2 amp fuse is already fitted for the GPS. How or exactly where I insert the power cable from the Tom Tom is beyond me. Any advice out there??

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly mine won't fit as per the picture as my grips must be longer, (they are heated so the "as fitted" handle bar mount is twice as long as the available gap at the end!

I'm still struggling with the electrical connections, I think I have found the plug you are talking about, but am still unsure how the red, (power) cable is connected, I'm used to the old fashioned "chocolate block" type connections. Also where would the black, (earth cable be connected)?

May be safer to get the local garage to carry out the electrical side.
I'm hoping elongated Allen bolts will enable me to use the "handlebar mount on the clutch lever mounting.

Thanks for the suggestions though, and have a great New Year :???:

·
Registered
95 Posts
odd-ball i had to move the switch gear back approx 4mm to allow clamp tp fit around the bar,also the tom tom mirror mount won't fit the st as the holes are not wide enough.
I also have the heated grips but no problems with fitting.
By putting on 2 spade connectors onto the tom tom wire's just push them into the female gps connector,remember to pull off the the clip on the socket.
Sorry its hard to explian via email but it is quite an easy job

·
Registered
659 Posts
Alternatively if you want to mount your tom tom centrally ( like the triumph option) you can purchase a ram ball mount which will bolt in place of one of the handlebar clip on bolts on the top yoke, then use a ram arm and ball mount on the back of the tomtom original mounting base.
(I ordered my parts from the gps warehouse and cost about £30.)
The fit is secure, perfect and adjustable to suit your own personal choice but more importantly it doesnt get in the way of the fairing / screen and is in your central line of vision. It takes seconds and no tools to remove the arm and base if security is an issue.

(i cant host pics but if someone provides an e-mail address i will forward them for hosting by someone else)

st

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi st
do you have a link to the gps warehouse i think i have found the site but canot find the part for the truimphs
do you have any pics???
my e mail is [email protected]
many thanks jason

[ This message was edited by: scoobydoo on 2007-01-02 05:53 ]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Scooby,
try http://www.gpsw.co.uk

part numbers are:-

Double socket arm 3". RAM-B-201 £9.98inc vat.
Diamond base with ball. RAM-B-238 £6.99 inc vat.

I bought the bolted ram ball on e-bay for £10 from a guy selling them from guernsey. he advertises them as 'yamaha fjr1300 1"ram ball mounts'......

If you ring gps on 020 8893 9393 im sure they will tell you the specific part number, I just took a gamble on the e-bay item which fortunately for me was the right one.

The 3" ram arm is perfect for getting the tomtom central on the yoke if the ram ball is fitted on either side bar mount. Oh and you can get your ignition key in and out with no drama!

I have just took digital pics and e-mailed you them, if you could host them on my behalf it will help others who probably aint got a clue what i mean !

[ This message was edited by: ST on 2007-01-02 15:25 ]

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks "stbadge" and all others. It's fitted now, but wont charge as the base unit is "****", I'll be taking it back to Halfords tomorrow! Does anyone one have any suggestions on how to improve the audibility of the ear piece. I have a Aria and over 30 mph can't hear anything. Thanks again :cool:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Try using the in ear earpiece rather than the helmet specific one. Its better but not as good as using the bluetooth via a autocom system.
If you get a quiter helmet this will help. I use a bmw sportintegral, very very quiet and mega stable even at 160.02 mph. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
stbadge,

can you give some details on the connector mentioned in your post. Which part of the faining do you have to remove? Do you have a picture of the connector?

I have a garmin gps with a power caord however I haven't found a good way of connecting it.

Thanks for you advise.

Brandon

·
Registered
286 Posts
stbadge,

do you think that plug will work for grips heaters. I am installing some this weekend and that might make it easer to install.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The GPS is only fused at 2A and the wire guage is pretty small. That may not be enough for your heated grip. check the manual for the fuse and wire size.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
If you put your fingers behind the lip of the lower front fairing you will find a main loom cable behind there. There are two connectors coming off it tied back. One is for an on board GPS and the other is for the triumph or AN other heated grips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts