Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story, been riding the bike to work last few weeks pretty consistently, and that includes plenty of rain. Get on it yesterday to go to work then on to my parents house and the bike seems to be starting a little harder then usual. Also, while the engine is cranking there is a pretty loud noise and the starter disengages. I can just hit the starter button again and it goes back in and cranks. Eventually the bike will fire. I'm at my parents house now where I have somewhat limited tools and even more limited manuals. What can i check? I have the right fairing off now and was hoping for the best, but didn't see anything super obvious.

Edit: 2006 Sprint w/ 23k miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Key off, Battery is at 12.9 volts, 12.1 or a bit less with the key on. Drops into the low 11's maybe 10's when you hit the starter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Doing more reading i'm starting to suspect the sprag clutch? the engine seems to turn over pretty quick though.

I have engine number 261*** so it sounds like i have one of the weaker ones.

http://youtu.be/EwrJfYCK5oY

if someone can confirm i'll have the part ordered today

edit: Bruce, tried to jump it from the truck... oddly enough it had a lower voltage then the bike, but anyway, first time it cranked and fired right up, however I couldn't get it to repeat.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
12.9 at rest, 12.1 with lights on/motor off sounds fine to me; I doubt it's the battery. My understanding of the sprag clutch problem is that you'll know if that's the issue as it makes a loud bang and then the starter just spins afterwards... (Not sure what's going on in the video; it's a bit of a scary noise, but the starter sounds normal after.)

Anyway, the first thing I would do, since you mention rain, is check for water under the gas cap with the bike on the side stand. If there's water there, you'll have a blocked tank drain that needs clearing, and that may be causing your hard starts. (I think the hard starts are actually water in the tank, but I'm not sure. I've just noticed that if mine is hard to start after rain, I usually find that the drain hose is clogged.)

I use 18ga wire pushed in from the top in addition to a tiny drill bit (without a drill!) from the bottom to clear mine. The top of the drain is near the lowest point on the ring around the fuel neck, under the gas cap, when the bike is on the side stand.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point of the video was the noise. I had the camera and my dad had the starter button, so he stopped as soon as it made noise. That noise from the first cranking will keep going. The reason i called it intermittent is that noise will come and go as i try to start it.

My guess is whatever is causing the problem is failing, but hasn't totally failed yet. It seems to be getting worse too. Unfortunatly as i said i'm about 150 miles from home and need to ride back. My plan is to fire it up and just ride.

Oh... and how'd you know about the blocked drain in my gas tank? thanks for the tip on how to clean it out, i figured the fix was a bit more of a pain then that so i was waiting till the winter to tear into it while I go at the 24k mile service... or most of it. I'll probably have someone else bleed the ABS brakes and do the rear wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I do not know what that noise is in the video. It could be the sprag as far as I know, but I'm under the impression that the noise the sprag makes is much worse and only happens once; that is, you get no warning, you just get a nasty noise followed by the sound of the starter spinning free, no longer trying to spin reluctant pistons. I could be wrong here; it's one of the few problems with these bikes I've not had firsthand experience with.

Apologies if this seems obvious, but if you're not sure about the starter, be sure you have a full tank before you leave.

I knew about the blocked drain because mine has trouble starting after rain when the drain is blocked. Could be your problem right there...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It-shirts had a few new tanks of gas run through it. Also the camera doesn't do the sfound justice. Its a very loud metallic clang. Whatever it is it can't be healthy, and it's really not making me comfortable

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the cover this morning. The backing plate to the sprag clutch seemed to of popped off. Need gaskets and oil to confirm however a quick crank seemed to indicate success

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
249 Posts
The kit I got from Bandit for a 2006 came with a larger diameter clutch.
You need the kit. The gear that comes with it has a fatter hub, the outside diameter of the hub is larger to fit the clutch. The gear diameter is the same of course.
The larger clutch fit on my 2006 fine, no conflict with the case cover.
The Triumph clutch holder tool ( only one available)doesn't fit the larger clutch.
Put it into 6th, hold the rear brake down so the engine doesn't spin, and you can torque it that way.
Suspect mine was not good when I got the bike used. Had a new battery, it had left the other owner stranded. Then me, got a jump and went home.
Found bad rectifier, It had got harder to start, clutch made noise then clacked or released, almost always seemed to labor to start, started hard when cold, eventually would turn it over only if the plugs were out. Starter would whine. I could tell it a bad idea to hold that button down.
I found the clutch intact but frozen. Freed it and tried it, no good...it would just bind up and stay that way again. The spring inside was damaged. New batt, clutch,rectifier, heavier wires, the thing starts beautifully and seems to have less snatch from idle...smoother power transitions. More fun. Good Luck the worst part is waiting for parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts