Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
well after riding for a few days what i noticed is that on the initial start up it seems to run really rich (smell is how i determined that) and so when i rev the engine after start up or take off it seems to bog down a bit and then the idle goes low and works its way back up. so possibly lowering the f trims a few % in the 1000-1400rpm range might help, but just don't want to be too lean while idling either (though i guess thats when there is the least stress on the engine). anyways any thoughts would be helpful. after i take off and "clear it out" like you would on a two stroke it seems to idle fine and run just fine.

Forged i hope you have made some progress, would love an update.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hey man, thanks for your responses. I have made zero progress. Super busy with work and can't justify spending much time on the bike this week. Might dig into it this weekend.

I'm not comfortable changing anything in the map on TuneEcu. That's way above my pay grade. haha. Computers and blacksmiths... I'll look for that map you mentioned. On the standard list, I assume?

Also, I haven't done anything with the SAI or O2 sensor. Also kind of hesitant to do either.

Prob going to wait til one of my moto tech friends can be present to help out.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
9 Posts
maybe you said it and I missed it, but did you go in and uncheck the O2 under devices in the tune before loading it? I had some dodgy running issues when I initially loaded the TOD map, turns out the O2 box was checked, once I unchecked the O2, then reloaded the tune, bike runs like a scalded dog, dead smooth as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
just took a look at the BOS_20101 map. Maybe a newb question, but what is the 'catalyst'?? And what does 'imported PCIII Map M513-504.djm' mean? Is that something I need to do when installing? Or is that part of the map?

Catalyst is in the stock cans, so there is none with your aftermarket pipes. Also I think the PC3 is basically they took the maps from a power commander and turned it into a .hex file for tune ecu. I've read on here hooking up a power commander doesn't work well with these bikes like almost Japanese bikes. But someone just took the map off of it and converted it. At least that's my understanding. Loading that tune on there is nothing scary. Just follow the directions on tune ecu. It is a non sai and non o2 sensor tune. You can disable the sai by sticking a marble in the tube that connects to the front of your air box. I forgrt if you put it between the airbox and the sai solenoid or the solenoid and the 3 way fitting to the valve cover!? Plenty of threads on how to disable it without removing it. Then for test purpose you can just leave the o2 sensor in the pipe but unplug the sensor (do all of this after the tune is loaded otherwise you will throw codes). If you are running a stock tune I think u are lean, at least that's what it seemed like for me. Even the arrows high mount was a little too lean for my bike. Hope that makes sense and helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey Tom, thanks for the input! SAI and O2 off. Got it. Is that what 'Instead of "Power Commander O ² sensor controller" Lambda probe turned off' means?

For now, I've blocked the SAI tube with a stainless ball (typically used in my shop to make bunches of grapes) and the airbox inlet received a M12 stainless bolt. Perfect fit. Had both on the shelf. For test purposes, these should work, right?

Unplug the SAI electrical connector as well, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unplugged O2 sensor and SAI connection.
Blocked SAI and airbox as seen above.
Cleared the codes.
Installed the BOS20101.
Checked the TPS (with airbox and fuel tank connections connected) and it read .65v. (which is weird as I just recently replaced the TPS and set it to spot on .60v...??) Didn't adjust the TPS. Just exited and proceeded.
Did a reset adaption.
Disconnected.
Fired it up.

Initially the idle seemed good. Throttle was a little choppy but nowhere near as bad as previously. As it warmed, idle stayed good and throttle settled down and was smooth right up through the range. Then took it for a spin around the complex. Under 20mph. Seemed OK, but still jumpy and choppy. Sounded markedly different, not good or bad, just different.

Took it for a fast lap around the complex. Once I got over 35mph I could feel a shift in performance and the idle just ran up really high to the 3000-3300 range and stayed there. Pulled into the garage with idle really high. 60 seconds later I shut it off.

So, I'm not totally sure what this tells me. The high idle thing is happening now every time. It's happened with this map (w/out SAI and O2) and with the 2 previous maps (with SAI and O2).

As you can see in one of the above photos, I zip tied the three hoses at the 3way connector (3 TB hoses merge to 1 which connects to the MAP sensor) thinking that maybe there was leakage there. Should I maybe just replace those hoses? Are they connected and routed correctly?

Throttle bodies are bang on balanced, btw.

Also, I found an additional (new?) screen on TuneEcu as I was swiping throuth the diagnostics screens. Showed a long list of sensors. What's that page used for?

AND I just re-read the TuneEcu_Android page and realized that I didn't uncheck SAI and O2 on the Map/Devices menu... DUH!

Will be back at the shop tomorrow and will take another look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
UPDATE

The saga continues...

Went into TuneEcu and took a look at the sensor settings in the map screen. O2 and SAI were unchecked already. Does that mean they were unchecked while I was running the previous maps?? I've never touched them.

Also, checked the TPS again. When I first got the voltage on the screen, it said .57v. (last night it read .65v) And by the time I got the wrench out and knelt down to adjust it, it read .65v again... Weird. I adjusted it to .60v and continued. It did the ISCV adaption and finished.

Did a 12min tune, waited for the TPS light to kick on, never did. After 20min, it was idling really smooth. When I hit the throttle, it floated up and raced up to 3000-3250rpm and slowly settled back down. Did that a few times.

Then I took it for a spin around the complex. First time I got it up into 2nd gear and started to pick up speed the throttle was dangerously explosive. With a very slight release, it would settle down, then roll it back on and EXPLODE. If I wasn't being sensitive to it, I'm sure it would throw the font wheel up very aggressively. Not what I'm going for here...

After about 1min of riding around, the idle began to race up to 3000+ and floated up to nearly 4000rpm. I had to keep it in 1st gear and full brakes just to keep it down. Clutch in and idle raced high as I rolled into my garage.

Shut down. Done for today. Loaded up the mtn bike. A bike I can count on working properly every single time. ;)

Came back inside 5min later and noticed a large puddle of coolant on the floor. Never seen that before. Would an improper coolant flush cause this? Or just too much coolant?

Where do I go from here??

Still not sure if there's a vacuum leak or how to test for it. Would getting it on a dyno help?? Could it be something mechanical or some basic setup thing that I've overlooked?

Again, I'm pretty frazzled at this point. If there is anyone in the greater Boston, MA area or New England in general that can help get this sorted out, I will deliver the bike to them this week. At this point, I've spent far more hours tinkering and troubleshooting than I have riding in the 12 months it's been registered. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
UPDATE

The saga continues...

Went into TuneEcu and took a look at the sensor settings in the map screen. O2 and SAI were unchecked already. Does that mean they were unchecked while I was running the previous maps?? I've never touched them.

Also, checked the TPS again. When I first got the voltage on the screen, it said .57v. (last night it read .65v) And by the time I got the wrench out and knelt down to adjust it, it read .65v again... Weird. I adjusted it to .60v and continued. It did the ISCV adaption and finished.

Did a 12min tune, waited for the TPS light to kick on, never did. After 20min, it was idling really smooth. When I hit the throttle, it floated up and raced up to 3000-3250rpm and slowly settled back down. Did that a few times.

Then I took it for a spin around the complex. First time I got it up into 2nd gear and started to pick up speed the throttle was dangerously explosive. With a very slight release, it would settle down, then roll it back on and EXPLODE. If I wasn't being sensitive to it, I'm sure it would throw the font wheel up very aggressively. Not what I'm going for here...

After about 1min of riding around, the idle began to race up to 3000+ and floated up to nearly 4000rpm. I had to keep it in 1st gear and full brakes just to keep it down. Clutch in and idle raced high as I rolled into my garage.

Shut down. Done for today. Loaded up the mtn bike. A bike I can count on working properly every single time. ;)

Came back inside 5min later and noticed a large puddle of coolant on the floor. Never seen that before. Would an improper coolant flush cause this? Or just too much coolant?

Where do I go from here??

Still not sure if there's a vacuum leak or how to test for it. Would getting it on a dyno help?? Could it be something mechanical or some basic setup thing that I've overlooked?

Again, I'm pretty frazzled at this point. If there is anyone in the greater Boston, MA area or New England in general that can help get this sorted out, I will deliver the bike to them this week. At this point, I've spent far more hours tinkering and troubleshooting than I have riding in the 12 months it's been registered. :(

If the sai and o2 were already deselected then it should be the same way on the tune you currently have on the bike. The bos20101 tune has them both unchecked as base for the tune.

Sorry to hear about that. I do get a floating idle a little once the bike is warmed up but mine only goes to around 2k and settles back down. Could it possibly be your throttle cable is too tight? So it's not fully closing? Or maybe something with the cable / throttle tube is sticking?

I'm curious to a solution as well and I'll keep you updated as I work on mine. Probably won't get much time for another month or so. It's so damn hot in southern Texas and I have a garage at an apartment complex which stays toasty all day long. I'll be moving in about a month to North Carolina and looking at a house with a big garage so i should have more time then.

In another thread a guy said to clean and line the stepper motor and that fixed his problem. It's a cheap try, could be possible when you rev up the stepper motor gets stuck and can work it's way back down. Also may be the reason for inconsistent tps readings? Because I too get some weird readings that aren't consistent.

To me it seems like a vacuum leak but idk where itd be coming from. I've also had the puddle of coolant but I just figured it was from all the expansion of the liquid because of the heat here. But might just go ahead and change all the fluids again to rule it all out!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well today I changed the oil (it was pretty dirty). Last time I used 15w50. This time I found 4t mobile 1 motorcycle oil at Oreilly's in 10w40. I also got some coolant and flushed the coolant system and refilled it with new stuff. The old stuff didn't look bad at all though.

One thing I noticed is usually the first cold start is rough. It idles low when I take off it wants to die. Or as it did today when I revved it up a little it died when coming back down to idle. Second start it idled where it should and sounded good when I revved it up. Idk why but that has been consistent. Might just try cold start, run for a sec, turn off, start again then take off and see how she does. If that fixes things then idk what could be the issue!? Perhaps I need to do the 12 min tune on the second start so it stores those trims? Idk! I'm reaching for things now. Haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Clayton, thanks for the consistent responses. Likewise, good luck with your bike and your move!

I took a look at the TuneEcu map pages and it seems that a couple new ones have been added since I last looked. I tried the 20214 which seems like the 20213 which I was running at the end of last season. Only difference is the SAI delete, I think.

Plugged the O2 back in and loaded the 20214. Fired up the bike and it idled funny. Let it warm a little and played with the throttle. Hesitating, choppy etc etc. And when you really rev it, there was an extreme hesitation, almost what seemed like a complete engine cutout with a mechanical click noise in addition... I did that twice and stopped. I didn't bother taking it for a ride. Shut down. Went home.

I will take a look into the ISCV cleaning. That sounds like a logical thing to do. I also got the ear of an older Triumph tech at a local dealership that just dropped Triumph, but they still have a couple techs on staff. The guy seemed quite willing to help troubleshoot. Actually talked my ear off, in a good way, digging in from a top down perspective. Riverside Ducati (formerly Riverside Triumph Ducati) in Boston. The only other local Triumph dealer wouldn't even discuss the bike beyond a few sentences of it's history. They refused to work on it last year and just told me to call back in late September and maybe they would consider it... Lame. Especially since I've purchased all of the replacement parts for the bike through them. Plus fluids, filters, gloves, lights, jacket... Literally $1500+.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Clayton, thanks for the consistent responses. Likewise, good luck with your bike and your move!

I took a look at the TuneEcu map pages and it seems that a couple new ones have been added since I last looked. I tried the 20214 which seems like the 20213 which I was running at the end of last season. Only difference is the SAI delete, I think.

No problem, we will figure this out for sure! Anyways. 20214 is for a low mounted exhaust. As far as I remember from this thread you have a dual high mount exhaust set up. The low mount tunes are much different than our set up (as I have heard). So I'd stick with ones designed for a high mount set up.

Today I sprayed some carb cleaner on the iscv arm and made sure that the little roller that it pushes on spins freely and is clean. Then did the 12 min tune. It idled a little low while cold, then as it warmed it stabled out. Then got a little jumpy then stabled. At the end of the 12 min tune I turned it off then started her up again, and revved it and it idled well, revved well. It just seems cold starts are the problem. I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning after the tune and on a cold start. I'll report back. Running out of ideas here. Maybe I'll try leaning it out at idle and see how it works if it didn't help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But. Now that I think about it, my JTI slip on are basically straight pipes. I mean they are loud. I wonder if a low mount set up might be more appropriate for the fueling need for something with much less restriction. Might give it a try and report back! Anyways, mind wondering late at night!

·
Registered
41 Posts
******mit! I'm sorry for recommending that bos tune to you then! Have you tried the TOD? Idk why I thought you had a might mount set up.

I've never run it stock either though I have the stock cans. I wonder if I should put those back on load a stock tune and see how she runs.
How do you like the low mount? I have been looking into one, I like the look better I just don't know which one I would get and where to get them for a decent price. Ebay seems to not have much.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts