Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, seems that the bike has been running wrong (for the most part) since last season...

After my last post (a month ago), I got it running to where it seemed fine. Tune Of Death seemed to make a huge improvement. Engine ran quieter, smoother, more power, better throttle control. Then within the past few weeks, it has shifted back to it's old way. Mostly pronounced stuttering/shuddering and chunky throttle between 3000-4000rpm, but you can feel it at low speeds and hear the engine is slightly choppy at all speeds.

Weird thing is... A couple days ago, I rode to my shop expecting the TPS to be way off again. I spent 20min making a custom TPS adjustor wrench (see image) so I don't have to take the throttle bodies off to get at the S Torx20 screws. Of course, fired up TuneEcu, ran the ISCV test and adjustment and the TPS was spot on .6v and the ISCV was at the required .75v. Cleared the engine codes, fired it up and rode home. SMOOTHEST and best it's ever ridden... For 45minutes. All smiles.

Parked it for maybe half hr and went out again. Almost immediately felt the hesitation/stuttering etc. And it's been the same for the past couple days. Seems to be getting worse. Connected TuneEcu again today. No codes. Ran the tests and the TPS was up at .74 again... Did a 'reset adaption' and rode home. Ran like crap.

Is it possible that the TPS is failing? How could it be so far off from one day to the next without even touching it?

Could it have something to do with the old throttle bodies from the original 06 motor being installed on the 08 younger motor? Do the throttle bodies need adjustment?

Seems there's either something I don't know about OR I'm repeating the same newb procedural mistakes I did last year when I got the bike together OR there's some failing sensor or something...

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Haven't ridden the bike since the last post. Just dug into it again to check and possibly adjust the TPS and noticed something I've never noticed before...

Perhaps it's my naivety and this is normal or what I'm noticing is actually the problem? Something tells me I might be the problem. haha

Btw, I'm using TuneEcu via Android phone. I don't have access to a windows laptop.

I took off the seat, pulled the headlight/tail fuses, opened TuneEcu, plugged in, connected via TuneEcu. No engine codes. Clicked on ECU/ ISCV/ Adjustments/ Run Test. Dialog box came up with floating voltage approximately .74v. Wavering by .01 slightly. So, in order to adjust the TPS with my new wrench, I disconnected the tank electric and fuel lines, removed tank and airbox sensors. As I proceeded to disconnect each of those the TPS voltage dropped. When I removed the final connector on the airbox, the TPS voltage dropped to spot on .6v.

So, as a 'test', I hit Next. It ran the ISCV voltage and it was also spot on .75v.

I then plugged everything back in, connected and mounted the tank. Then did a reset adaption.

Not sure if this helped or did anything, but I also did a 12min tune. Kept it running and took it for a quick spin in the rain. No bueno. Same choppy symptoms.

Maybe I'm learning something here? Just not quite sure what yet... Is the TPS voltage difference/drop when things are plugged in VS unplugged normal? Should I have done the reset adaption immediately after getting the proper TPS voltage (when things were still unplugged)?! And then plug everything back in?? Should I be able to achieve a TPS voltage of .6v when everything is connected and plugged in?

Sincerely,
Perplexed blacksmith

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alrighty... Just did two more test procedures.

Test 1) Remove tank, disconnect fuel line and connector, disconnect sensor connectors on airbox, pull fuses, connect via TuneEcu on Android, Test and Adjustments/ run the ISCV test, then Idle Speed Control adjustment, TPS voltage came up spot on .6v/ ISCV voltage came up .75v. Did a reset adaption. Reconnected everything. Fired it up. Stalled and ran like junk. So that is clearly not the way.

Test 2) Same procedure through the TPS/ISCV adjustment (still spot on voltages). This time NO reset adaption. Reconnected everything, Fired it up and took it for a spin around the building (in the rain). Seemed completely smooth and as good as it's run. Going to ride it to work in the AM when it's not raining. Fingers crossed.

It seems that my missteps in procedure were what was screwing me up? I think I've done it a couple different ways and was confused about the readings at various stages of the process and/or did reset adaptions when I should not have. Definitely going to go back and re-re-re-read the tutorial on TPS/ISCV adjustments.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have actually had the same problem. Happened today actually. Hooked it up to tuneecu, and I checked voltage and everything was good. Then balanced throttlebodies, loaded a different tune and before I reset adaptations I checked the tps again and it was .1 higher for both tps and iscv. Went through with the adaptations, went on a quick ride, didn't run well, came back checked the tps and it was back in specs. Loaded a different tune and repeated the process. Seemed to reset itself when I reset the adaptations.but idk why it does this. Kind of frustrating when I'm trying to figure out while my idle is crap. Anyways! Keep updating if you figure out the issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very frustrated. Every time I ride the bike it performs slightly different, but usually worse than the previous ride. Ride home from work just now was choppiest, most sluggish and annoying yet...

As stated above, TPS has been reset to .6v and subsequent ISCV setting is .75v (when tank and airbox sensors are disconnected)

I'm lost and at wits end. Don't want to keep messing with it and am concerned that I'm doing damage to the motor by running it like this. It's also just not fun to ride... Until I can get someone knowledgable to get their hands on it, I think I'm parking the bike.

Fuel filter is brand new as of the fall. No idea if there is another fuel related problem? Bad injector(s)?

I'll check the plugs, but they were also brand new in the fall.

The local dealership has gobbled up all the other Triumph shops in the region. Of course, they're booked for weeks out. And I hesitate to imagine that they would be willing/able to work on this without charging me at least $500.

Ugh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very frustrated. Every time I ride the bike it performs slightly different, but usually worse than the previous ride. Ride home from work just now was choppiest, most sluggish and annoying yet...

As stated above, TPS has been reset to .6v and subsequent ISCV setting is .75v (when tank and airbox sensors are disconnected)

I'm lost and at wits end. Don't want to keep messing with it and am concerned that I'm doing damage to the motor by running it like this. It's also just not fun to ride... Until I can get someone knowledgable to get their hands on it, I think I'm parking the bike.

Fuel filter is brand new as of the fall. No idea if there is another fuel related problem? Bad injector(s)?

I'll check the plugs, but they were also brand new in the fall.

The local dealership has gobbled up all the other Triumph shops in the region. Of course, they're booked for weeks out. And I hesitate to imagine that they would be willing/able to work on this without charging me at least $500.

Ugh.

I haven't figured out the problem exactly, but I have been messing with my tps and Iscv voltages. I set it within limits to the upper limit, so .62v on tps and .80 volts on iscv. My thinking was since the idle was low, I'd set everything higher so the baseline once it's adaptations reset then it'd be more normal. Still drops a little when I pull in the clutch at stops when it's cold,. But when it's warm it seems to be just fine!? Idk kinda weird. I haven't tried the other end of the spectrum setting it to the low end to see what that does, might be worth a try just to see what it does since you have that tolerance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main question at this point is;

Should the TPS read .6v when the fuel tank and airbox sensors are unplugged or plugged in? And/or should there be a difference in voltage between the two scenarios? (plugged in and unplugged)

My idle is typically fine. The problem range is 3000-4500rpm. I can be stopped or riding in any gear and the throttle hesitates abruptly as you roll up to 3000rpm and seems to smooth out a little above 4500rpm. But, overall the throttle feels sluggish and the motor is louder and sounds like its working harder.

During those handful of magical rides where the tune or reset adaption seemed to work perfectly for about 45min (I guess it's before the bike remembers that there's something off about it), the bike runs quieter, hums nicely, throttle buttery smooth and deceptively powerful, shifts perfectly... I'm hoping it can run like this all the time.

Might be biting the bullet and getting it into the dealership for a diagnosis...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could it possibly be the tune? I've tried a few other tunes and it's been pretty surgy and choppy around the same area you are talking about!
Also check spark plugs, coils, battery, and run some gumout regane through a tank.

Also I made sure I adjusted the tps with everything plugged in.

I've also had good results with warming up bike completely. Hook up to tune ecu, while bike is running reset adaptations
Then wait. It will reset and you should get a green tps light after. It's a forced adaptation. Then go ride! Hopefully you figure it out! Hang in there man! Also check the tps, mine was cracked. Also I'd check the butterfly valves and make sure they are clean!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I guess this is the first time the TPS has been adjusted with the tank and airbox still connected. Was able to float the tank using the crane in my shop. (see image) Wondering how others are doing this move...? Are you taking off the throttle bodies? Did you swap the STorx20 bolts with allen heads for easy access??

Adjusted the TPS to .6v (and the ISCV was already spot on .75v), then did a reset adaption. Perhaps I should have done a 12min tune (forced adaption) and waited for the TPS light?

Didn't really seem to make much difference. Engine sounds a little different. Throttle control feels a little different. Except now the idle is really high (2000-2200rpm). It settles down, but when you get on the throttle is rises up again. Same choppy, hesitating, surging action between 2800-4500rpm.

Plugs in brand new condition, coils good, battery good, don't see any visible cracks on the TPS, no visible cracks on any air hoses, butterfly valves are dialed in and appear clean, airbox is properly installed and seated on the throttle bodies... Hmmmm.

I'll try reloading the other tune (20100) I was using prior to the Tune Of Death (early VIN). Seems to be the only one that vaguely works for my bike (VIN 272434).

Perhaps it's this HP Corse exhaust and/or improper setup (SAI and O2 intact)? I don't see anyone else on here running them... But, shouldn't any exhaust setup be tunable?!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keep us updated. I'm curious to see. Haven't had much luck with mine. Still idling real low on cold starts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been super busy with work and have lost steam on the Speed Triple. Replaced the TPS and set it to the desired .6v using TuneECU on Android. Reset adaption and disconnect. 20min process.

Upon firing it up, bike seemed to rev normal and not hesitate through 2800-4500rpm range. Took if for a ride. First 2 minutes it was buttery smooth and operating seemingly perfect. By the time I pulled out onto the main road and got up to 40mph, it was back to it's old ways. Not 1/2mile down the road, it was a mess. Did a 2mi loop and it ran like crap. Idle was racing up around 3000-3500. When coming to a stop, it would race (making shifting weird) and then settle down once fully stopped.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? It seems to forget the tune and go into a default? Maybe an intermittent fuel delivery issue? Or a computer on the fritz?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Haven't had the bike on the road since the last post. Work and life have been plenty busy, so no big deal...

A friend who is 15yr moto mechanic and former AMA pro took a look at it and pointed at something rather obvious... the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel filter last fall and it made a noticeable difference at the time. My wicked smaht cousin never replaced the fuel filter over the course of 75,000+ miles and 8yrs of riding. Makes sense that the original motor failed. I'm assuming that a super clogged filter would precipitate the failure of a pump over that amount of time.

New pump should be in tomorrow. Already have tank off and the old one out. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haven't had the bike on the road since the last post. Work and life have been plenty busy, so no big deal...

A friend who is 15yr moto mechanic and former AMA pro took a look at it and pointed at something rather obvious... the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel filter last fall and it made a noticeable difference at the time. My wicked smaht cousin never replaced the fuel filter over the course of 75,000+ miles and 8yrs of riding. Makes sense that the original motor failed. I'm assuming that a super clogged filter would precipitate the failure of a pump over that amount of time.

New pump should be in tomorrow. Already have tank off and the old one out. Fingers crossed!

Interesting! I was going to actually post on here earlier but my computer was freaking out. I finally got some time to go out to the garage and tinker. No luck for me. I've tried multiple tunes all of which produce very similar results which makes me think it isn't the tune. From cold, bike starts and idles fine. Then when u take off and come to a stop or pull the clutch in it dies. Then after it warms up a bit it will idle okay. It also has a stumble/hesitation at a steady throttle as I accelerate. Happens around 3-6k and then when I'm at cruising speed with constant throttle I can feel surging as well. If I get it on it pulls strong with no hesitation. I've tried with and without o2 sensor and don't see much of a difference. I've balances the tb and set the tps. I have sai deleted(it was doing the cut off when pulling the clutch in before the sai delete). Something tells me its external to the tune since all of it stays consistent despite the tune. Not sure what though. Maybe timing? Idk how to adjust that or if it needs adjustment. Or if it needs the valves checked. Also after I ride for a while it will start idling high. Has I slow down it will catch at 2k and stay there and then when I pull the clutch in it slowly drops back down. If I rev it up it also catches around 2k pauses then slowly comes back down. I've replaced my fuel filter but never thought about the pump itself. I've run mercury power tune trough the tb and some gum out in the tank. Not really sure wHat else I can do. Hopefully you get some positive results and I can follow suit cuz I'm getting pretty frustrated. Anyways! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swapped the pump. Took all of 6min. Ran the pump test on TuneEcu. All good.

Charged the battery. Fired up the bike. Idled funny for 30 seconds then smoothed out. Rode it about 1/2mi around the complex. Ran like butter. And of course, as soon as I pulled out onto the road it ran like dog ****. Same exact symptoms. If anything, worse than ever before.

Another $200 down the drain. At least I'm narrowing down what might be wrong. ;) I'm definitely at wits end.

Bad fuel injector(s)? Vacuum leak?? Bad engine map?

Is there anyone in the Boston area that is capable of helping me with this?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Damn. Sorry to hear that. A vacuum leak makes sense to me but I just don't know where to look. I've replaced all the rubber hoses from the TBs to the map sensor. I also deleted the sai. Blocked it off and removed the solenoid. Idk how to go about checking the injectors. I've run cleaner through and did the mercury power tune. I've also tried many different maps with the same result. I'm at a loss as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only thing I can think of at this point is a leak in the tb boots. I ordered new ones since my bike has quite a few miles and they were 20$ on eBay. But I'll let ya know what I find if that fixes the problem at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Swapped the pump. Took all of 6min. Ran the pump test on TuneEcu. All good.

Charged the battery. Fired up the bike. Idled funny for 30 seconds then smoothed out. Rode it about 1/2mi around the complex. Ran like butter. And of course, as soon as I pulled out onto the road it ran like dog ****. Same exact symptoms. If anything, worse than ever before.

Another $200 down the drain. At least I'm narrowing down what might be wrong. ;) I'm definitely at wits end.

Bad fuel injector(s)? Vacuum leak?? Bad engine map?

Is there anyone in the Boston area that is capable of helping me with this?!

Have you tried the bos_20101 tune yet? I just tried it and it fixed the surging at cruise speeds. Idle is smooth, still a little low on cold starts but after seems alright. I'd give that a try and let me know! It's also disables the o2 sensor (just FYI so u can get a block off bolt, should have some drain plugs at your local auto store that will work). I also zip tied all my vacuum lines as a way to rule a vacuum leak out. And I used a hex head bolt on the tps so i could adjust it while the bike is put together. Hopefully this is helpful? I'm going to try adding more fuel in the 1000-1400 rpm range at 0-1% throttle and see if that hurts or helps cold starts. And make more adjustments to see if I can dial it in.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts