Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

uk expat living in czech republic so at desperate mercy of dodgy dealers - so trying to find some advice out - I am complete newbie to bikes too :-(

whats happened in order:

2006 speed triple

day 1) battery holder rubber strap broke

day 2) started bike fine, left lights on engine off for 2 min - came back / bike wouldn't start. plugged into optimate 3 hours then bike did start. rode for 40 min/ Went into N at traffic lights and bike went dead - no lights, horn. friend came out and jump started me a few times to get home - low revs made the bike stall. there are a few wires that are there connected to the alarm that dont look stock and I dont think ever were connected to each other x2 male and female.

day 3) was told I needed new battery - so new one goes in.

day 4) start bike fine - out on ride for 1 hour. Stop to call the wife to say all is fine, big mistake - dead bike, lights ok, indicators etc but battery not starting. nice bloke comes and jump starts me, I get home ok, lower revs dont seem to stall the bike. get home switch off and try again - bike doesnt start, but lights etc ok.

being told it could be the alternator by the man who said its just my battery - which sounds like an action film and bloody expensive !

****ting myself incase its very expensive.

any thoughts ideas, basic things to check ?

thanks so much !

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey Mate, You are pulling the clutch all the way in every time you try to start her? Also when the side stand is down she will cutout when you put her into gear.....We'll start with the easy stuff first, I'm sure there will be a few more suggestions on the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mate, You are pulling the clutch all the way in every time you try to start her? Also when the side stand is down she will cutout when you put her into gear.....We'll start with the easy stuff first, I'm sure there will be a few more suggestions on the way.
Hi there thanks for the reply - yeah clutch all the way in - if the stand is down it will cut when put into first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kill switch? Lights will go but the engine won't turn over.
Heard this term "kill switch" on here before - is it the side stand switch? if so - yeah the engine cuts out when put into first and stand is down, when jump started the bike will idle with the stand down too.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Heard this term "kill switch" on here before - is it the side stand switch? if so - yeah the engine cuts out when put into first and stand is down, when jump started the bike will idle with the stand down too.
The "kill switch" is the red switch on the right hand control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts