Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

this is my first motorcycle, so bear with me a little.

its a 2006 scrambler. Mechanically stock, except the 1st owner told me he removed some emissions hardware (gave me a cardboard box of parts). It has a tach, a skid plate, crash bars, and a center stand. I did put on a headlight grille, a national cycle windscreen, a ventura rack, and a triumph locking fuel cap)

I mostly ride to work and back a few days a week (say 10 miles round trip, 30-40 miles a week). I bought the bike with 900 miles, I am now at 200o miles.

This problem never occurs in the morning (I keep the bike in the garage), only after sitting outside all day, on the way home. After its warmed up, after I've driven a while, say half a mile to a mile. It will start to surge and sputter. I will lose power. I have tried putting the clutch in and giving it a little more throttle, but it stalls. If I let the clutch out before i roll to a stop, the back tire locks ups and I skid. After I stop for a second and relax (because I am on the freeway and it scares the crap out of me), it starts right back up. It has occurred on two occasions now. Once I was accelerating pretty hard to merge onto the freeway, once I was just driving normally, maybe 25-30 mph.

After reading some posts, i suspect "vacuum caps on carbs and manifold", "vacuum tubes", maybe carb float levels, maybe gunked fuel petcocks, maybe even my locking fuel cap not venting?

As far as vacuum caps and vacuum tubes, can anybody post a picture of exactly where these are, and a picture of exactly what they should look like?

Any other suggestion before I schedule a trip to get a service?

thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As far as vacuum caps and vacuum tubes, can anybody post a picture of exactly
where these are, and a picture of exactly what they should look like?
The vacuum caps are the squirrel-condom like things in this photo.
The vac tubes are all those which connect to, and between, the carbs.

Always best to look toward the easiest solutions first, so petrol cap and vac lines would be favorite.

And by the way, Welcome to the forum!!

V.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
vacuum caps look bad, for sure...

thanks for the quick reply. The vacuum caps look cracked and have obvious splits.

Please see attached picture.
http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.costanzo/120508?authkey=uo7lwuv7_EM#5276730859717868658

So now what? Are these standard parts? NAPA? Any motorcycle shop? Triumph dealer? Do I need to know a size to order (like millimeter dia or something like that)? Are there more than the (4) obvious ones that I see?

Is there anything involved in replacing them? Just pop the old ones off and squeeze the new ones on? shut off fuel? Any prep or tools required?

thanks for all of the help
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Looks like you've found the problem!!

These babies can be bought from Triumph, but Im sure you'll soon get some advice
from your local RATS on where best to get replacements.

Or try searching the forum, Im sure its mentioned here.

In any case, dont let this put you off the road while your waiting on replacements.
As a short-term measure try wrapping some electricians rubberised insulation tape round them.
Should do the trick!!

V.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ah!
You can also get them from other motorcycle dealers!
You know, Honda / Kawasaki as they use the same carbs...
Gotta love Mukilteo! I ride the ferry over to Whidbey Island ever year for Django Fest!
Welcome!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Similar...

I had (have) a similar problem. Still haven't found the problem (dealer cant figure it out either).

Not gas / vent, because at speed when it was doing it I unscrewed and removed the gas cap :eek:... no diff.

Thought it was vacuum; dealer say gas tank check valve already removed (they've had problem with them and recommended removing it). They checked the vacuum too, and took apart the carbs.

Has happened twice since them.

HOWEVER - one time (the last time) when it was doing it, i happened to reach down and pulled out the choke (no diff) and pushed it back it AND IT FIXED IT!!! :D

Just haven't happened to have occurred since then so I can check it. I have since changed something else - when warming up the bike, I used to let it warm up so much that the revs would take off near the end, maybe rev up to 3K or 3.5K .. I don';t let it do that anymore, just push in choke when it first starts to increase revs, or even before that (i.e. 3/4 of old warm up time).

So maybe that changed it's behavior. I assume that something in the choke-slide-in-the-out-position is getting stuck or something. Can't wait for it to happen again so I can test my theory...

Please try it (pulling out choke & pushing back in) the next time it happens, and let us know....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Has the bike done this since you bought it or did it used to run OK but has only given you problems recently? I agree that the carb vacuum nipples should get new rubber caps but I doubt they're the problem.

It seems like the time outside during the day has something to do with it, possibly the sun warming the tank slightly pressurizes it, which means the venting system needs to be working. Maybe the previous owner didn't correctly deal with the emission removal stuff. As an experiment I'd try loosening the gas cap (very loose) when you arrive at work in the morning and seeing if the bike worked OK that same afternoon. Tighten the cap before you start home. If that fixes the problem then maybe put the evaporative emission can and plumbing back to stock. All this is just guesswork on my part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

i know the last post was like in Dec 08' but has there been solution to the problems or at least answers from anyone about this problem?

I'm facing the same problem right now and would love for anyone to give suggestion or even better - solution to this problem. Also, during the surges - sputters then stalls, i can also hear back firing from the exhaust. I had my air injection system taken out and fit the air injection removal kit and first thought that was the problem. Then I put it back on but no luck. The only improvement is the back firing increases! hope you guys can help.
Thanx.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
surging and backfiring solved, maybe stalling solved?

Well, the surging and backfiring is gone. the previous owner had taken off the smog kit. Apparently you plug a port, or leave a hose attached, or something. Whatever solution was done, had come un-done over time. the shop said I was sucking unfiltered air and water right into the carb. after plugging the port, no more surging and backfiring. repair order read "plugged the SAI".

it was still stalling when i rode it home. i took it back - they found a blocked roll over valve (the one that keeps fuel from flowing out when the bike is tipped over). so they eliminated it.

i drove home, and i thought it was fixed. I took a 40 mile drive, about an hour, all was fine. then i was cruising home, on the freeway, 65 miles an hour, 5th gear. the tach dropped to zero and i coasted to a top on the shoulder. I put in the clutch, and it stalled. Started right back up, drove away, 1st gear, 2nd gear, then it stalled again. it started up, i rode home, as i put in the clutch to cruise into the driveway, it stalled again.

i took it back, they they found another likely culprit - said a line was overly long, getting kinked, and creating a vaccuum. service order says "re-routed float bowl breather line".

so i just got it back, only had time for a 30 minute ride - no problems. no chance for an extended ride yet, fingers crossed.

Joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
:-(

My bike STILL does this, repeatably, but ONLY after filling the gas tank all the way. If I only fill to about an inch below the filler tube (about the level of the long-ways hump down the middle of the tank) then it does not do this.

I am going on the theory that a full gas tank puts too much pressure on the needle (or whatever) in the carbs that is supposed to regulate the gasoline fluid flow (and so it floods the card with too much fuel).

This sucks because the tank is too small anyway; so now I have to switch to reserve at about the 85 to 90 mile mark. Boo. But, better than stalling out in traffic.

I assumed the carbs are boffed up, so I paid the dealer to clean out and fix the carbs, but no difference after (they may not have done a complete rebuild though).

·
Registered
6 Posts
ahh well, hope yours been rectified.

I've had mine in the workshop and the guy who's working on it reckons the fuel system is the problem. he's checked the wiring and everything is doing great. He also mentioned that it could be the carbs over flowing. He did mention that if we take out the AI kit, that would effect the timing but it was doing alright when I took it out and go for a ride for sometime till i went for a recent 2000km+ ride from Singapore to Thailand.

hope all ends well. Thanx joe & carlos for your reply. :eek:

Cheers mate.

P.S. would switching to a bigger tank with better venting helps? if yes, I would love to do so since long distance ride will be much much convenient to not stop frequently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike STILL does this, repeatably, but ONLY after filling the gas tank all the way. If I only fill to about an inch below the filler tube (about the level of the long-ways hump down the middle of the tank) then it does not do this.
hhmm. thats interesting I always fill my tank to the very top. I track the miles and the gallons on a spreadsheet to keep track of mpg. filling it to the top is the only conisistent way to replace exactly what you used.

could completely filling the tank (just touching the lip that you fill up to) really cause a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
could completely filling the tank (just touching the lip that you fill up to) really cause a problem?
Yes. There is another thread about this. If you fill the tank to the top when the bike is on the sidestand, then gas will get into the overflow tube when you right the bike. If you still have the evap system installed, the gas will get sucked into the charcoal canister and effect the venting of both the tank and the float bowls in the carbs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread, but Im having the exact same problems on my 2007 Bonnie now.

My bike is completely stock.

My story is today I fired it up it up just fine and had the choke on for a few seconds. I let it idle for a minute or two as I was putting on my helmet and gloves. As I started to go, the bike felt like it was sputtering as if it was running out of fuel. It eventually died. When I tried to restart it, it wouln't catch. I twisted the throttle 3x before firing it up again and it sometimes it would turn over but die out quickly. I somehow was able to get it started up and running for another half mile where it did the same problem....sputtering and just dies.

I got it back home and switched bikes. From reading this forum thread I will use this and hopefully isolate the problem. The tank is pretty full...8 miles used from full tank.

However Im not sure if its paranoia but last week someone took a knife to my front tire. Im thinking that same toobag maybe put water in my gas tank? Would water in the gas tank cause the same problems? If so, is there way to know if water is the gas? Or am I better off just syphoning it out and putting fresh gas.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I orderd a Nology coil at newbonneville.com since the bike would at time just die sitting at a light in the past and thinking this may be the culprit. Hoping this fixes it. If not, a good upgrade to have (but really looking for a fix). There was a post by forum member IceSeven that had the exact problems I listed and said the dealer diagnosed a bad coil....so praying that this is the fix.

I will check the easy stuff like undoing the gas cap, checking vaccum caps and lines for cracks. I may drain the gas in tank and put new gas with Seafoam to get rid of my paranoia of possible vandalism.

Hope to god its not the ignitor. Saw on bike bandit that its over $500 and my bike is out of warranty.

I would doubt fouled up carbs because this bike gets ridden a lot and doesnt sit for a chance for the fuel gel.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Problem solved.......and quite embarassing....

YES!!! I solved the problem....(but quite embarassing).....guess what it was......

I RAN OUT OF GAS!!! I should have been in RESERVE the whole time instead of on the ON switch

(the story even gets better on how I found out).

So after reading all possibilies on this forum and RAT, I started to go by step by step

1st...looked for cracked vacuum plugs...didn't find any

2nd...looked for cracked vacuum lines. Checked them all...all look good

3rd...looked for cracks on intake boots...all look fine

4th...checked to see if vent tube is blocked. Shot compressed air from the vent hole on top of tank...seemed fine.

5th...go for a ride again and this time have cap off or loose...was able to turn her on, flipped switch to ON...rode for like .1 miles...rode fine...then sputtered and died....had to walk her back home

6th...check tube...took off tank...swished gas around...gas in there. Placed tank on top of table

7th...with tank off, check for crushed wires and double check vent tube for gas tank...no crushed wires. Air through vent tube was fine

8th. Test resistance of Ignition Coil. Per Forchetto (from RAT forum), seems like I have a slight short...orderd a Nology Coil a few hours prior. PM'd Forchetto about what the ohm resistance numbers I got meant.

9th...check petcock for blockage and drain gas and put new gas. Gas flows fine from RES. Gas doesn't flow from ON. Hmmm..is the ON side blocked?

THEN IT DAWNS ON ME

"Hmm...this tank feels light.....DING DING DING....am I really just out of gas???"

10th...swish remaining gas around to see if I can get some through the ON tube....gas came out. Recheck emails and Forchetto says I have a short...says bike should still run, but not getting the best performance out of it. Now I think getting a new coil won't really solve any issues. Check email from newbonneville and it says item has shipped...****!!! Too late to call and cancel order.

11th...petcock is okay...drain out gas and see how much comes out....turns out only about a half gallon comes out....THIS HAS TO BE IT!!! Stupid me.

12th...go and get gas and put into a gas can. Come back. Button everything up on my bike...fill the tank up...start her up, do a 10 mile test ride....bike runs fine.

THEN IT DAWNS ON ME HOW I FORGOT ABOUT HOW I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON RESERVE AND NOT ON THE ON SWITCH....

On my way to my ex, my bike sputtered and I flipped to reserve. I reset the trip meter to zero to track how far Im going on the reserve. I get to her place. I have dinner with her friends. Go back to her place....and well...uh....yeah..... Wake up, find my front tire flat. Have to spend all day getting my trailer and bringing my bike back to my place. Get it back, post on here about if my front tire is still good to use. A few days pass, I get new front tire. Get new tires installed...reinstall tires.

When I was about to head to work, saw that my trip meter said 8 miles and was under the impression I had already filled up my bike was used up 8 miles worth of gas from full...not 8 miles used o reserve. And then...the rest is history.

So yeah...I feel like a dumbass...but happy Im back on the road and it wasn't something major...it just too bad I got a Nology coil on the way fro newbonneville and questioning if I should just return it.

When it comes to gassing up, I have a routine since my commute is practically the same. Just goes to show when your normal routine is broken, it can really **** **** up. I guess Hedge isn't alone on this one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts