Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

06 Faulty Radiator Cap

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pineygroveshop 
G
#1 ·
Hi,

My 06 Tiger with 8k on was overheating last week. No (apparent) leaks, header tank displaying correct levels etc. Took it to Jack Lilley and guess what, yep, a faulty radiator cap. Thought this was only an issue on pre 04's?

Apparently, it had lost 1.5 litres of fluid although never saw any evidence of this and an air-lock must have kept the header tank full??? Anyway, all fixed on warranty :-D

Two weeks or so until the road tests of the new 'non-Tiger' Tiger start to swamp the press. Bet you lot can't wait! :hammer:

M
ps. Any of you near to Southall, Hayes, Heathrow? All my riding buddies are far away

#2 ·
Interesting that this is exactly the same symptoms as I had with the notorious swapped over hoses problem (see here) which was alleged to have been sorted by the time my bike was built. Like you I was about 1.5 litres down but never saw any leaks - I assume it all went out of the overflow pipe.

I've just got the tank off to do a few jobs and the system is absolutely full now after a further 3,000 or so miles. And the temperature gauge never moved more than a needle's width above the line despite some pretty hot days.

#3 ·
Save youself a lot of future grief and replace the OEM cap with a Stant 11233. I've had multiple OEM caps fail on the Tiger and S3. As with most bits on these and other bikes, they didn't re-invent the wheel; they used a stock automotive part but not a particularly good one. The Stant part is of much better quality (and it doesn't hurt that it cost less). At about $6US, I replace it whenever I replace the coolant: that's cheap peace of mind.

#4 ·
It's a Mazda application if anyone cares. So is the thermostat and the oil filter. Some Subarus too apparently. I think the engine is Triumph... sort of... in a Cosworth/Lotus/Kawasaki way. Well anyway, you put it all together and it's a lot more fun than a Subaru, isn't it?

#5 ·
My '05 did the overheating sketch while I was in Jockland and though Action Motorcycles checked everything out pretty thoroughly, I had to insist they replace the radiator cap which has (for the moment at least..) sorted the problem out. :-D

#6 ·
I have a '06 Tiger with just over 1700 miles on it. The weather has been on the cool side most days and I am getting the fans coming on when I would not expect it. For example the tempature was in the upper 60F today. After a 45 mile ride I hit several lights in the last 2 miles. The fans cut in. The tempature guage was under 1/2 up, the coolant level is near the top of the level when the bike is hot.

Why are the fans cutting on? Could this have something to do with what is described by the radiator cap?

Thanks,
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.