Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 06 speed, and i think the brakes could be a bit better.
I'm told the 08 and up brembros are a directswap.
Is this right?

Are they noticeably better?
How much should i expect to pay for the calipers?

thank in advance!

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are not a direct swap at all. Well they are if you do the entire front end. Some R1 calipers are a direct swap, as are the late model gsxr Brembo monos, which can be found starting at $300.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Mmmmm Chris is absolutely correct, mis-matching S-3 Standard front end components is a No Go area...the Disc spacing is different between the 05-07 & the 08-10 model as is the Wheel , the Disc's and the Forks ! they all have to be matched i.e 2008-10 model ........... and these by the way, are totally different again to the later model 2011 plus too....you MAY be able to use 2008 complete frond end slid in the existing 2005 -7 Yolks but I have not tried that personally.
Might be worth maybe you doing a full brake Calliper & master Cylinder overhaul & of course a Fliud change out & best measure disc thickness & run - out too . I personally have found the Nissan brakes every bit as good as the Brembo's maybe your's just require some TLC ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Spacing for the caliper mounts are 108mm on yours and 100mm on the later bikes. I swapped mine (2005 model) with some Street Triple R calipers and my brakes are great now. You can try cleaning yours but the problem will soon come back - our bikes were fitted with brake pistons that would stick slightly in the seals, allowing that spongy brake feel you've got. Later S3's had revised pistons that didn't stick - think they were teflon coated. Here is a link to some Street Triple R calipers on eBay - they look the same as yours, but will have the later pistons.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C103-2013...108509?hash=item41a959cb5d:g:~rsAAOSw~oFXGteg

Rob.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I swapped mine (2006) for R1/R6 monoblocks + R1/R6 brembo master cylinder.

Not a 100% direct swap as you need some spacers and new mounting bolts but very easy to do. They look better and work well. I actually think the stock nissins were slightly better at stopping but the R1/R6 setup is much better feel and no spongy brakes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I replaced the pistons in my stock calipers and they have been great ever since. The new pistons are expensive, but have a coating on them that doesnt cause the squishiness of the original pistons.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Mike,
Glad your existing brakes are now fine....one thing I've come across over the years which i think MAY ???? be the problem that a few are raising here on the STD Nissan 4 piston callipers = Spongy ..more travel Lever !
With your new pistons they are likely treated pistons with some form of very slippery or smooth surface face which then as the pads wear....... then this allows the pistons to readily advance in their seals in smaller increments than the STD courser / brush Piston finished Nissan pistons allow....thus the driven piston extension would be less most of the time & as a result of this brake lever would normally then be firmer with less travel. Thats my best guess based on my experiences. Cheers Lee.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mike,
Glad your existing brakes are now fine....one thing I've come across over the years which i think MAY ???? be the problem that a few are raising here on the STD Nissan 4 piston callipers = Spongy ..more travel Lever !
With your new pistons they are likely treated pistons with some form of very slippery or smooth surface face which then as the pads wear....... then this allows the pistons to readily advance in their seals in smaller increments than the STD courser / brush Piston finished Nissan pistons allow....thus the driven piston extension would be less most of the time & as a result of this brake lever would normally then be firmer with less travel. Thats my best guess based on my experiences. Cheers Lee.
Basically exactly this. The difference in lever feel is massive, and now the lever is nice and firm, but still with plenty of feel.

There seems to be a trend towards people wanting really hard levers, but I think this is wrong. There should still be some lever feel, rather than a wooden on/off feel. For this reason I'm not upgrading to a larger master cylinder as some people do - I still want to feel what's happening on my brakes.

I haven't done a ton of K's since changing my pistons - probably around 5,000km and a few track days. So far I'm totally satisfied with the brake feel and performance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not looking for an on off switch kind of feel or on/off, but my last bike was a gsxr600, and the lever was firmer, and felt much more controllable and the whole lever range seemed to work.

Honestly the triple seems to not do much for the first part of the lever travel, then the last 50% of the travel seems to grab and work. Looking for a more useful range I guess.

I think i'll look into the upgrades listed previously.
The Daytona upgrade seems like a no brainer, but if I can do r1 or gsxr1k for a lot cheaper I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just in case you still wanted to go the daytona route, you can do it for WELL under $400. I bought my daytona monoblocks for $120...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts