Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at getting an 06 900 twin engine for my hardtail build, this particular engine comes with carbs, oil cooler, air filters, but no electronics. im wondering, what do i need to get to get this mother runnin?

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
You'll need a battery, rectifier/regulator, ignition module, coil(s), not sure what else...

·
30,533 Posts
Oh YOU'RE the other person bidding on that. I am looking at the same motor, I was considering making it into a hot rod motor.

What pokeyjoe says should cover it I think.

·
30,533 Posts
I probably won't bid now. I won't be able to do anything with it for 6 months yet anyway, so maybe I'll wait for another opportunity.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
im looking at getting an 06 900 twin engine for my hardtail build, this particular engine comes with carbs, oil cooler, air filters, but no electronics. im wondering, what do i need to get to get this mother runnin?
$1000.00 if you use new parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i picked up a 78 OIF hardtail frame that i want to build up on. on the 06 motor, i notices wires that went into the carbs, what are they for?

·
30,533 Posts
That will be the carb heaters (anti icers - not essential), and the throttle position sensor. A lot of people have run without that, too.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
They're carb heaters, they connect to a thermostat widget that turns them on when the temp's below about 50F. If you're in a warm and/or dry climate, you might not need them at all.

There's another cable on the right side which is the throttle position sensor, I think. I don't know the ramifications of not using it.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
i picked up a 78 OIF hardtail frame that i want to build up on. on the 06 motor, i notices wires that went into the carbs, what are they for?
MAN you got alot of work to fit that motor in that frame .Wouldnt you come out better buying a junk bike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MAN you got alot of work to fit that motor in that frame .Wouldnt you come out better buying a junk bike
LoL! what would be cooler than an vintage OIF raked hardtail with a 900 bonnie motor shoe-horned into it?! i bet the average joe wont even know the motor is new! its gonna be a rocket and fun to build!

·
30,533 Posts
Well that motor went for $1250 - did you get it and are you going to make this chopper out of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well, i tried to get it. price took off like a rocketship! i got up to $1000 then it timed out at $1250. thats a lotta money, not counting the freight charge! guess ill just hafta look for another one. ill just start the frame stretch without a motor for now. i might use my 76 as a donor bike

·
30,533 Posts
Yeah it seems a bit much. OK if you're local and you can pick it up, but I wouldn't pay that much and frieght. There will be other opportunities.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
yea shipping cost you alot motors are heavy.The price is about what they bring on ebay.Finding one close to you is the key.I got my extra motor for $1200.it was about a hr and 1/2 drive for me to pick it up so I didnt pay to ship it.If you buy one off ebay find a late model the blocks are better and the late model head castings give more room for port work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts