Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a demo 2009 tiger and thought I'd like it more than I did but it felt clumsy and jerky in traffic. Theres a used 2005 I saw which I like the looks of better and have been told by newer tiger owners that the 05/06 are actually better than the 08/09.

Anyone ride both for extended rides and can add any info on the 05 vs the 09 tigers for ride, smoothness, comfort, etc.

Dave-

·
Registered
616 Posts
Here we go..............

I've had both. Two different motorcycles. If you're inclined to do any significant riding on unpaved roads, or two up, the 05/06 will serve you better. The 07 + are labeled "roadies" for good reason. The 1050s have very sensitive throttles and take some gettin used to. I don't guess I've ever hear the Tiger described as clumsy. The factory luggage on the 05/06 is more usable and certainly better looking.

For my riding I'm glad I've got the 1050. Either bike will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Regardless of what is said about the concept or the poor pillion on the 1050,or the owners having thin skins!!!!,the motor is a league infront of the 955,don't be fooled by the 95cc,it has Jap fuel injection,which is lot crisper than the Sagem.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Totally different bikes with only the name in common. Tiger 1050 is really the touring version of the Sprint ST1050. It is strictly a road bike. It is much lighter than the Tiger995 with more powerful engine, lower saddle and better road holding.
Many people loved the Tiger 995 for being a sturdy mile eater with some off road ability and were very disappointed when the Tiger 1050 came out and was not the updated version of the Tiger 995 they were expecting.
Both are excellent long distance bikes but the 1050 is much more sporting without loosing the comfort. However the 995 is going to be much cheaper and will serve you very well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Last year, I test rode both thoroughly. I wrote a review on here somewhere, but I can't find it. I've been riding for 23+ years now, and I know what I want in a motorcycle and I believe I have a fairly good 'base' from which to make informed comments.

What I tested:

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i with TOR exhaust, factory luggage, gel seat - 1400 km on the odometer (basically new, a customer trade-in)

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 with factory luggage - 2200 km on the odometer (basically new, a demo bike)

This was a fair comparison, as I had a fresh 955i, not some tired old unit.

BTW, here are the factory power stats:

2007+ Roadie makes 74ft lt/lbs of torque at 6250 rpm (114 hp at 9400 rpm)
2001-2006 955i Girlie makes 68 ft/lbs of torque at 4400 rpm (104 hp at 9500 rpm)
1999-2000 885 injected Girlie makes 63 ft/lbs of torque at 6400 rpm (86 hp at 8200 rpm)
1993-1998 885 carb'ed Steamer makes 60 ft/lbs of torque at 6000 rpm (85 hp at 8000 rpm)

Power (seat of the pants
):

I can confirm that there was little discernable difference in initial acceleration and mid-range power. In fact, I felt the 955i had more lower to mid-range pull. There was slightly more top end pull with the 1050, but so marginal was the difference, that it didn't impress upon me. I believe the TOR can helped to equalize overall power between the two units. Triumph literature claims a 10-15 hp increase over stock 955i with TOR can and tune. I believe it does give at least a 10 hp increase over stock. Obviously, I can't confirm without a dyno test.

Fuel Injection:

Some say the French made Sagem ECU's are dated technology and more crude than the new Jap stuff found in the 1050's. Both machines idled almost identically -- and both were slightly lopey. Acceleration up to 3000-3500 rpm on the 955i was a bit choppy/some hesitation, but after 3000-3500 rpm... I couldn't feel a difference. Both engines were suprizingly smooth and sporty. Advantage to 1050 due to initial choppy accerlation on the 955i

Comfort:

I found the seating position on both Tigers to be nearly the same. The gel seat on the 955i felt a little nicer on my butt than the stock 1050 seat. The reach to the handlebars on both Tigers felt about the same. I think the 955i was a bit more upright.

2-up Comfort:

My wife wanted off the 1050 after 15 minutes of riding! :D Yes, she's a delicate little thing. She felt the 955i was "way more comfortable" and she didn't like sitting "up high" on the 1050. Take that for what you will. I personally don't buy a motorcycle based on my wife's feedback, but some of you will.

Suspension:

The 1050 was more rigid/sportier, the 955i was more compliant over bumps, manhole covers, etc. Both exhibited a bit of front fork dive. The upside down forks look sexier on the 1050, but I also like the traditional looking fork gaitors on the 955i.

Braking:

The 1050 felt crisper (front brakes), but I felt both machines had adequate braking. These aren't crotch rockets, so my expectations were lower.

Cornering:

The 955i felt heavier and harder to steer into turns. The Tiger 1050 fell into turns, while I had to "work" the 955i more into turns.

Long Distance Comfort:

The 955i had better wind protection for my height (5 feet 10.5 inches and 32 inch in seam) and definitely felt better on my arse. The 1050 had horrible buffeting! So bad that I couldn't believe what the designers were thinking! Both revved fairly high over 120 km/hr. I wish Triumph could have created a taller 6th gear.

Night Time Lighting:

The 955i had FAR superior lighting. The 1050 lights look modern, but they don't work very well. Maybe I had a bad bulb in the 1050? I don't know.

Luggage:

The 955i stock luggage seemed more substantial and better made. Both luggage suited the lines and styles of the Tigers: Girlie - rounded, Roadie - Angular

Sound:
The 955i had the TOR can so it was not a fair comparison!

Top Speed:

I didn't test them. After 160-170 km/hr, I personally don't care. I understand that the 1050 has a 10 mph top speed edge. Overall, I found both Tigers to be deceptively fast. I wasn't expecting it! I'm used to 120+ hp sport bikes.

Weight:

The 955i felt a bit heavier, but both are top heavy machines. There is a 37 lbs difference according to the Triumph literature. The weight difference is less if comparing a 955i to a 1050 ABS.

Fit and Finish:

The 955i seemed to have a better quality look and feel to the components.

Engine Heat:

Both give off quite a bit of heat on the right side! The 1050 more so than the 955i. I noticed this only 5 minutes after being on both machines!

Overall Appearance:

British-euro styling vs Jap angular styling. Its a personal thing. I like traditional better.

The difference in price was $2200 CDN. I bought the 955i. It was green ;)

Side note: I fixed the initial choppy acceration (up to 3500 rpm) with an Dynojet 02 sensor bypass. I also had my dealer upload the latest TOR tune (I was originally running stock tune with the TOR can!). Both gave my Tiger a kick in the pants power increase!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow, that one post up above is quite a piece! I can't say I agree with all of it, but I didn't ever ride a 1050 either. Some love 'em, some don't.

All I can say about the 955 w/TOR exhaust, the 955 is extremely comfortable for long distances and has a 240 mile range, handles great and takes gravel, berms, grass quite well for a 500 lb street bike, you can flash the fuel injection and you don't need a Power Commander, I have absolutely NO buffetting issues at all (6'1", of course it is windy up there and not too well protected, but for me it isn't buffetting) and the 955 engine w/TOR exhaust isn't only deceptively fast, it absolutely screeeeeams.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the informative reviews. Food for thought. I also demo'd a Street triple and also liked that. I found the tiger a bit big for my use (no real touring) I think the street triple in green or white may have future potential over my thruxton

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've owned three 955i Tigers covering well over 50k miles and now own a 1050i and done 18k.

I wouldn't go back to a 955 by choice although it does have benefits over the 1050 for comfort and two-up touring.

The 1050 is certainly a better choice for solo riding. Its a fantastic modern all-rounder.
I don't think the much praised GS even comes near. The 1050 triple engine is a peach - the best on the market!

·
Registered
1 Posts
informative post

I have been reading almost everything that I can get my hands on about the Tiger. I have fallen in love and am trying to figure out a way to talk my wife into letting me have another motorcycle.

This has to be one of the most comprehensive reviews I have found. Thanks for your re-cap. I would have loved to read the original but the abbreviated is good too.

I remain optimistic that maybe someday the woman whom God has blessed me with might allow me to have two motor bikes. After all, you can only ride them one at a time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
253 Posts
just my 2 cents (eurocent that is)
I also did a little test (counting in minutes)
I road a 1050 a while back and brought the bike back after just 30m
I back hurt like h#ll. I have been riding a 955 for some years now and nothing beats this machine for me when it comes to the riding position in combination with that love 3-cylinder
Maybe I make a change when and if triumph decides to bring out a touring machine like the old 900/1200 series

greetz from the netherlands

1 - 10 of 10 Posts