Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what everyone is getting as average milage from their bikes? From the research I've done it's seems like mine is underperforming. I do mostly commuting around sydney and find that i get pretty much smack on 100ks (bout 70 miles) before I go to reserve.

I know it's a pretty broad question, but anyone know what could be causing this? Bike is an 05 Thrux with Staintunes and Koni shocks, they are the only mods i can think that would have any effect on performance. But for full disclosure bike also has bullet indicators, knee pads and napoleon mirrors, none of which i could see affecting the milage I'm getting.

Cheers!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like you need to get the carbs adjusted, I am getting around 100miles to a tank heavily modified and thats pretty low actually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you are commuting in Sydney! 100k = 100k + 8hrs idelling + 2000 x crank the gass on & race to the next red light!
I get 200k (almost spot on), but I live in the country - 2 sets of lights between home & work.
Seriously - are you filling it to the top of the tank? I fing the Aus pumps cut off fairly quickly.
Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep! Filling her all the way to the top.. When i bought her about 4 months ago, I took her in for a big service and check up, oil change new tyres etc.. Although milage is probably something that the mechanic wouldn't notice unless i told him (which i didnt).

Time to take her in and get the carbs adjusted? Noob question coming up –*What does that involve? hah..

Even on weekend rides with minimal traffic and lights, I find pretty much the same thing, 100 ks or so and onto reserve.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
"Carbs adjusted" involves:
Cleaning air bleeds, syncing carbs, confirming jets are the right size, confirming needle height is correct, adjusting idle speed, adjusting pilot screws for proper idle mixture.

Simply cleaning the carbs and making sure the screws are adjusted properly will do wonders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts