Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I love my 05 Sprint and for the first 5000km it was as smooth as silk.

It has now however developed a resonating vibration through the entire bike to the point that bolts are coming loose and dropping out, latest being yesterday during a 3 hour ride the ignition lock fell out.

I have had the bike back to the dealer and have been told that the vibration is within the normal range. (I guess that it is also normal after a three hour ride for my hands and feet to still be tingling the next day)

In all fairness the dealer has had the bike in for a day to check engine mounts etc but this has not fixed the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem.
Vibration starts at 3500rpm and gets worse at 5000rpm
seems to be engine speed related.

Any ideas appreciated :???:

·
Registered
158 Posts
My '05 has a little buzz above 4K but nothing like what you describe. After coming off a V-twin bike this bike feels really smooth. My hands will go numb from time to time though. I would say if your bike is vibrating enough to have parts falling off of it than there is something definitely wrong w/ it. Or you have mistakenly climbed on a Harley. :hihi:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Close to 5K on my '06, and no abby-normal vibration that I can tell.

I would think that if all bolts were tightened within spec, they shouldn't be falling out with any sort of frequency....vibration not-withstanding.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Has the bike ever been in a stack? What does the oil look like? Any flecks of metal? Any 'rumbling' noises at idle? Definately shouldn't be vibrating that much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never stacked, or laid down
Last oil change done by dealer at 5000km
(oil looks as new)
No buzz or vibration for the first 5000km
progressively getting worse now close to 8000km
changed tyres front and rear at 7500 km (no change)(did not really expect one)
You can feel this buzzing vibration through the soles of Rossi boots.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
elroy - have you ridden another 05 Sprint to compare for yourself?
If not you should try to get on to your dealer's demo bike to get the feel for how it should be.

It doesnt sound right to me.My last bike was a jap 1200 4 cyl and it had a buzz at certain revs.By comparison my Sprint is turbine smooth from about 3000rpm upwards.

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have them check the engines balance shaft and its drive system. It the timing is off it would explain all that. If the bearings crapped out it would vibe more too..

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 05/06 Sprint has 12,000kM and still running smooth as silk. Sounds like yours has something that has gone out of spec. Iceman has a good suggestion to ride another 05 Sprint.
:cool:

·
Registered
659 Posts
A new set of tyres cured my vibes.... the front one had done 9500miles and was shot. steering feedback was restored and bar buzzing disapeared.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
After about 24,000kms I do have a couple of annoying things going on with my 05 ST.

When I hit a sharp bump, I hear a very annoying "clunk" like something is loose in the body work. It sounds more plastic than metallic, so I'm guessing its fairing related. I'm buggered if I can find it as all the fasteners seem to be tight.
So I'm just living with it until it becomes more obvious, like something falling off.

I'm also noticing some "pinging" under hard acceleration. Mostly getting away fast from a standing start or rolling on out of a corner.

I always use premium fuel, in Australia that doesnt mean much, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Brett.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am willing to bet it is your chain. I had something similar happen on my Bandit. Chains can stretch on one side so that at one point along the run if you check the tension it will be really tight, then at 180 degrees it will be within spec or loose.

The slap you might hear could be the chain bucking up against the chain guard, which is plastic. If you pull in the clutch and it gets a little better this is a further indication of a possible chain issue. Without the load from the front sprocket pulling the top length really tight it evens up a little.

I would be suprised if the dealer wouldnt have caught that though.

Its a super quick check, while on the bike reach down and check the chain tension repeatedly as you roll forward. The chain should have equal play regardless of when you check it.

[ This message was edited by: Cuyose on 2006-12-13 18:56 ]

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I'm also noticing some "pinging" under hard acceleration. Mostly getting away fast from a standing start or rolling on out of a corner.

I always use premium fuel, in Australia that doesnt mean much, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.
Beach I use E10 fuel about 40% of the time and don't have pinging so I guess your fuel is bad or your ignition timing is out.

Russ

·
Registered
652 Posts
Beach - i get a similar thing, it turned out to be the luggage balancer at the back. As it is loose when the hard bags aren't on it is free to move from side to side, so when you hit a bump it can make it move & the round ball ends hit the end of the bracket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts