Thread to document sprag/starter/solenoid service process on my 2005 speedy with 30k miles. The symptoms are:
- Clacking sound at start and upon shutdown - started <5 times since the noise started.
- Starter operation drops healthy battery voltage to ~12v range cold, but ~10.5v range when hot.
- Inspect sprag clutch. I believe I had the updated '08+ sprag clutch part #T1221112 installed in 2008 under factory goodwill, but cannot find the receipt. It's possible I will find the original part #T1221105. Depending on what I find I'll decide what to replace. One of the options is @DEcosse 's '08-13 Hayabusa sprag hack which can save ~$350 over the cost of the T1221112 Triumph sprag kit.
- Clean starter motor, decarbonize, inspect brushes, clean starter cable contact surface and waterproof.
- Clean starter solenoid, decarbonize.