Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed on another thread that someone thought that the year model was the number after the "J" in the VIN.
My bike is a 05 ABS number is 6865j6242313 question is is it a 05 or 06 model? probably makes no difference but good to know.
Gavin.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
10 digit in VIN is the model year

[ This message was edited by: triumphite on 2006-11-28 17:05 ]

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Gavin - I cant answer your question but I had a good look around my bike while washing it this afternoon.

I bought it in July 05 and understood that it was commonly known as an 06 as it was an ABS model - one of the first in NZ.

Vin is SMTTF6865J6236370.

On the front of the headstock is 080205 which I understand may be the build date.

On the front brake master cylinder is 4T 14.This sounds like a 14mm cylinder.My brakes are fine.

Does this help?

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaveM,
I am happy with whatever it is, be it an 05 or 06. But when I come to order parts it is probably better that I can specify the correct ones.
Yes, believe it or not there is already a difference, as an example I am thinking of getting heated grips next year and there is a different part number for the 05 compared to the 06 model!
But the real answer to your question, what do I want it to be? an F4 would be nice.
Cheers Gavin

·
Registered
658 Posts
When you order parts, you should go by the VIN number. Your dealer should be able to supply you the correct part for your VIN.

triumphrite,

10th digit cannot be the model year. In gavin's case, if that were true the model year would be '03. Impossible for a new Sprint!

All the info I get from dealer and service shop, point to the fact that its the digit after the J that signifies the model year.

Would be interested if someone with a '07 bike (which are distinctlyy different from the 05-06), could comment on his VIN.

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2006-12-04 07:29 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts