Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.

I have a couple of questions but I will start by giving you the scoop on my bike (D650). My friend owned it before me, he was having some problems with the battery then he layed it down (parking lot). After the the drop (right side) it would not crank, period! (sat for approx 1yr) I did a little research and found that when the bike fell, oil filled one of the cylinders. I ended up buying it from him back in feburary and got a swingin deal, 2k! (I felt bad....for a minute or so)I just got it running a couple of weeks ago. Long repair time I know,
school, work, and girlfriend = no free time

What I did:
First was sparkplugs....wow they were trashed! (yes one was oil soaked) Aterwards it cranked over by use of the starter switch, unlike before. I changed the oil and the oil pressure switch which was broken off. But still no start. I noticed that there was no noise form the fuel pump. I checked the voltage, it led me to a bad relay. The relay for the gauges and H lights was bad too. After the relays... ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Questions:
first quick one, the check engine light is on, never turns off. Is there a maintanence required light, or is the engine light used for that also? If so, I was thinking maybe it was telling me, due oil change?? I checked for an outline of "Maint Reqr" on the digital display, but no luck.

Next one is not too specific yet, I just began my investigation. lol A couple of days ago I started it up and rode to a friends house. (note: this time it barely cranked, increasingly slower each time from initial start) I was just stopping by to pick something up so it was turned off for only 2minutes. I hopped back on and no start. It just made a clicking noise under the seat, it acted just like a dead battery. I jumped it off of a car battery and headed home, parked it and checked on it the next day. IT STARTS:confused: I know, I know I thought it had a bad alternator, now I am really confused. Electrical getting hot?? Could the alt. be going bad and only work sometimes? lol

My real problem is that the bike shops in town do not have books on triumphs; consequently, they won't touch it. The nearest tri. dealer is 69miles away and I am not confident I will make it that far. No truck either

Feel free to ask for more details. Your questions might help me recall informtation in which I forgot to list.

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since you've noticed the check engine light on, has the bike gone through at least 3 heat cycles? If not, start there.

Regarding the irregular start ups, my bike used to do the same thing. If i ever road my bike, regardless of distance, shut it off and tried turning it back on within 10mins, it simply would not. I tried every trick mentioned in this forum and NOTHING worked. However, maintenance time came, took it to the stealership, and $650 later (yup! just maintenance) the problem was gone. I asked them what they did to fix the problem and they had no clue.

I guess the bike was just due! :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by heat cycle, but I have ridden it more than three times ('bout 10 min. each time) and the light is still on. This past Saturday I dropped it off at a shop in town; it's not a triumph dealer but they said they could check to see if the reg&stat are funtioning properly.

I was thinking that the engine light comes on for scheduled maintanece, sounds like that was the reason for yours. I know there is deffinately an electrical problem with my bike. I'm just concerned about there also being an engine problem, you know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by heat cycle, but I have ridden it more than three times ('bout 10 min. each time) and the light is still on. This past Saturday I dropped it off at a shop in town; it's not a triumph dealer but they said they could check to see if the reg&stat are funtioning properly.

I was thinking that the engine light comes on for scheduled maintanece, sounds like that was the reason for yours. I know there is deffinately an electrical problem with my bike. I'm just concerned about there also being an engine problem, you know.
A heat cycle is when the bike heats up to the point that the thermostat fan comes on. 3 heat cycles and the engine light will go off if there is no problem. But obviously it will stay on if the problem still exists.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
As Juz points out, if the light stays on after you have gotten the bike good and warm after a cold start three times, you have a real problem somewhere, not just some kind of temporary fault as can sometimes happen. My initial guess about the hot start problems is your battery terminals may not be screwed in tight enough. It sounds stupid, but it stopped me cold a couple times before figuring it out. I felt even dumber than it sounds. For the fault, you will have to read the codes and find out what's going on. It could be all kinds of things, from a sensor connection which isn't quite right (extremely minor) to some other problem like a failing r/r. Since your D650 has Kiehin injection, my guess is the codes are the same as for my Kiehin injected 675, so if you can find out what they are, I might be able to look them up to let you know what they mean.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
Be a bit careful with PDFs of the manual. I don't know of a legit one out there. Triumph holds a copyright on it.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
It looks just like a legit manual. Says triumph all over it. Even says its copyrighted at the bottom lol...i dunno works for me.
It is not legitimate but is an illegal copy. Triumph never made an electronic manual, and the factory manual is copyrighted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts