Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the stock shocks with Progressive 440's and I also installed progressive front springs and 10 weight oil. Together my wife and I weight 350 lbs. On the New England roads I find the ride pretty harsh but the handling is excellent. I have a long history of back problems and am looking to soften my ride. I feel the dampening is too stiff. I have changed the fork oil to 5 weight which greatly improved the front but I am still taking the hit in the back. I am looking for opinions on which shocks to use in the rear. The Hagons are affordable. The Ohlins are high priced. Any others I need to look at? Has anyone run a variety of shocks and have any opinions on this. I need opinions before my next purchase. When I bought the Progressive everyone said they float over the bumps. Evidently many of these people have not riden in New England. As it is the ride is unbalanced. The front is pretty good but the back takes the hits hard. Progressive had no suggestions other than buying thier 412 shocks. They would even go so far as to "buy back" the 440's, at a greatly reduced price of course.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Before you give up on the 440's .....

You might want to check the number printed on the coil spring. I purchased 440s that came with 120/170 spring rates from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse in 2006. I found the spring rate way too high for riding solo.

Here's a copy of a note to myself that 'might' be useful to you. I ended up shipping the shocks back to Progressive for the spring swap. At the time, the charge was approx $60.00. Postage is the killer! Note - my new spring part number was for a black spring, not chrome. That would have a diff part#.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 11, 2006

Note – I spoke with Beth (ext 748) at Progressive Suspension. Knowledgeable. Based on the above information, she said their application charts showed I should be using the following spring with my Shock Model: 4404244-B

Spring Model: 03-1368-B, with a spring rate of 105/150 vs 120/170.

Note 2 – The 440 shocks ARE NOT revalveable ie, valving cannot be swapped out for valves with different damping rates. However, since I am the first owner, the shocks have a lifetime warranty TO ME, not to anyone who would purchase the bike. Save the invoice from MAW. I will need it in the event I have a warranty claim.

RCG

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springs

I did respring mine... the dampening is just too stiff... even 2 up...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts