Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

A while back I was given a thruxton in rundown condition to fix up and customise. Sadly, a few months after i started the project, I lost my dad in a plane crash which took a while to get over and get the mojo back.
Luckily, the owner has been busy too and more than understanding and gladly, we are now back on course and smashing through it.
Motor has been hydroblasted and reassembled now..
I'll start dropping in pics

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
181 Posts
Also very sad to hear u lost your father my man, restoring the 04’ is going to b worth it, the first modern year production thruxton if I am correct, besides the 1965 limited edition production racer Triumph Bonneville. I definitely follow your build, thnx for sharing! ..... FTG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The beast as it came to me. Probably doesn't quite show the state its in. Mud wasps in the carbs, carbs not running right and corrosion on most parts.

Things that will be changing -
Flatslide carbs, i see some serious restrictions in the airbox and carbs.
Billet triples, front imola fairing, tail loop to finish off the frame, new electrics - m-unit and m-lock, button switches, LED indicators and stop light, LED head light.
Hydroblast the engine. Pain the frame, new seat trim. 6pot F4 caliper. Billet rearsets. Stainless bolts.
Just the usual stuff..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
732 Posts
Do it. You will have fun with it. I love my '04, but that blue you have there is the color that made me first fall in love with Thruxtons.

Because it's the internet, you get opinions now.

Unless you are going to bump up the cubes, the stock carbs are more than enough for what you've got going on even once you go to pods. Just jet it right. Or you could have more disposable income than me and you want flatties. The pain of running them on a stock motor is not worth it because the gains would be meh. In my opinion anyway.

Subscribed for the build, looks fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do it. You will have fun with it. I love my '04, but that blue you have there is the color that made me first fall in love with Thruxtons.

Because it's the internet, you get opinions now.

Unless you are going to bump up the cubes, the stock carbs are more than enough for what you've got going on even once you go to pods. Just jet it right. Or you could have more disposable income than me and you want flatties. The pain of running them on a stock motor is not worth it because the gains would be meh. In my opinion anyway.

Subscribed for the build, looks fun.
Flats are on, both for a bit more poke and to jettison the airbox and open up the frame triangle.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: speedfoos

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out and ready for cleaning - hydroblasting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bits left over...