Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding to work this morning and the last time I checked the speedometer it said 92mph so I checked up a little to slow down and when I looked back at the speedo it then said 0mph???? A little more slowing down then I was planning on!!!

Now I have no speed indicator and I am not counting mileage - which might be a good thing since I am up to 22400......................:)

Anyways, looking to rectify situation. Without having done any reserach (or hands on work as of yet) can anyone tell me where the speedo cable runs to from the front wheel?????? Also, is it hard to replace and where do I find one - do I gotta use a local dealer (as there is no real local dealer where i'm at).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
You might want to check one more thing - if the charging system fails (or you blow the fuse) it will cut off the speedo.
Is battery still functioning? Does it start normally?
Any reason why the sender should fail? Usually after some maintenance that involved removal of the wheel (tire change etc), not often immediately but posisbly within a few hundred miles.
Pull the wheel & inspect the magnet in the speedo drive.
If broken, then proceed with replacing the speeo drive - either with OEM unit or try my low cost fix that Bodhan referred.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent Advise! Recently replaced tires (about 400 miles ago). WiIll pull front wheel and check things out before going forward (literally)!

Thanks for the tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts