Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an auction for a set of TL1000R USD forks on ebay to start my project. I'm thinking I might go with six pot calipers as well. My machinist buddy think he'll be able to make any necessary brackets, spacers, and a custom triple. I'll be sure to post pics when its all done.

I really love the look of USD forks but didn't feel like paying the $4,500 for the Racecomp setup.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're ok. Not great. They don't look all that great either. I've been wanting to do custom triples and upgrade to six pot calipers anyway to get rid of the mush since the calipers are the only thing I haven't swapped out on the brake system.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-11-26 17:58, kuhlka wrote:
... since the calipers are the only thing I haven't swapped out on the brake system.
That's funny, considering I think it's been pretty obvious from minute one that the whole mushiness problem was with the calipers.

Of course the calipers are the most expensive thing to replace.

I'm trying to find someone parting out a newer ZX12 or GSXR with Radial Mount Tokicos that will sell me the calipers cheap. I'm not sure, but I think they will bolt on with little or no problem. I checked Ebay, but the cheapest ones I found were selling for $100 each which is pretty expensive for an experiment. I'll have to keep looking I guess.

Six Pistons would be cool, but I haven't seen any Six Piston Radial mounts yet. Have you?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong, swapping out for a bigger master cylinder made a big improvement along with stainless lines and bleeding, but there still just isn't that firm feeling. If I'm already swapping out to a TL front fork, I might as well go for the 3-pot calipers while I'm at it.

I'm going to bug my buddy to let me take measurements and compare his TL's front end to mine so I can get a better idea of what will work. I'm hoping the only thing I'll have to have made are triples and possibly wheel spacers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
On 2005-11-26 17:36, kuhlka wrote:
I won an auction for a set of TL1000R USD forks on ebay to start my project. I'm thinking I might go with six pot calipers as well. My machinist buddy think he'll be able to make any necessary brackets, spacers, and a custom triple. I'll be sure to post pics when its all done.
Nice. I put zx-12R USD forks on my Legend - got 'em off eBay for cheap, along w/ a 6-pot caliper. But I had to pay for my custom triple...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh he's not doing the triples for free. It'll probably run me somewhere around $400 or so for the whole job according to my friend, which is quite reasonable considering Racecomp's prices. After all is said and done, I should have this swap all done for under a grand, which is still a great savings over having an 05+ considering I got my bike for $7,500 brand new.

I won the TL Tokico six-pot caliper auction for $51. Gonna ride over to my friend's house tomorrow to compare his TL to my S3 and get measurements.

·
Registered
394 Posts
$400 is still pretty d*mn good :-D

I got my forks & caliper(s) for $200 off eBay, but the custom triple was expensive - a bit over a grand. Of course, it does have custom risers and a 1" drop for the forks.

I had to shim the caliper in about 10mm, but other than that it mounted right up.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TL1000R forks are about the same length as the S3's. My friend's TL's forks were exactly the same distance from the top of his triple to the center of the front axle so I'm pretty confident this swap will work pretty well.

Unfortunately, the CC distance on the TL six pot calipers is 3 1/2in, whereas the 03S3 was 3 1/4in so there is no swapability for those only wanting to upgrade to those specific calipers. Perhaps another bike will have the right CC.

Now, all I need to figure out is the size of the front axle on the TL compared to my 03 and caliper/rotor spacing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I lucked out... the spacing on the caliper was the same (except for the width of the forks), and the axle on both was 20mm - my front wheel slid right on.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw hell, it seems one of my friends who works on bikes already had an 04GSXR1k front end in his shop for sale so I'm going to offload the TL forks/calipers to possibly a customer of his or resell them on ebay for likely a loss. Then, all I'll have to do is the same kit as racecomp but for muuuch much cheaper.

Oh, they're also the forks with the gold uppers and black lower tubes so I'll probably get the uppers anodized silver or black to keep the bling factor down.

[ This message was edited by: kuhlka on 2005-11-30 18:57 ]

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eeeexcellent, the TL1000R USD forks came in the mail today and look very nice, albeit obviously used by a few nicks here and there noticeable. Very clean and don't appear abused though. The best part is that they're not that bling bling gold color so them being all silver will match my monochrome bike nicely.

Just waiting on the lower triple so I can drop the parts off to my buddies along with my front forks for the conversion to be made...

J

·
0 Posts
Hey Robert

I'm working on getting my R1 front-end on my 2002 Daytona. I have the front-end on but I'm still working on finalizing the upper clamp. I either need a custom upper clamp made or I need to modify the stock upper clamp to accept the ignition lock. I plan on using clip-ons with this front-end.

I bought the bearing for the swap but ended up swapping the stem instead. I had a bent lower clamp from a friend's Speed Triple. So I took that stem and pressed it into the R1 lower clamp. Reason I did this was because the upper clamp fit the stem and upper yoke nut pretty well. Let me know if you need the bearings as they fit the GSXR triple clamps also.

I'm running R1 calipers and front wheel so there is no issue with spacing or fit. For the speedo pickup I will run magnets on the rotor and hall sensor mounted to the caliper bolt. Same setup they use on the SV web site for front-end swaps.

I used the R1 forks because I had a set laying around. Plus for my SV swap I used R1 forks also. The R1 forks are longer where as some GSXR forks are too short. In a few months a lot of racer will be updating their 2006 race bikes so I hope to score on some newer forks with radial brakes.

Question: How much work was it to swap out the tail? What mods did you do to the sub-frame? What mods did you do to fit the body panels? Is your tail fiberglass or stock bodywork? You have pics of the conversion process?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, James.

Swapping out tail sections was a direct fit suprisingly enough. The mounting points for the subframes is the same from t595-955i so the subframe (around $100) just bolted right up and I used the t595 stock undertail/batterybox ($50) as well as a silver t595 tail ($100) plastic. Then I bought a black solo cowl ($100), but the guy wanted a cashier's check for his ebay payment so I was chatting with another fellow who was getting rid of his seats and another 'tail cowl' for $100 so I went for it since I trusted him a bit more.

Turns out the guy meant tail plastic when he said tail cowl and I've got a whole other black t595 tail section with some chipped paint to experiment on for alternative paint jobs. In the end it cost me around $450 or so for all the parts, but I have extras. I also found a spare 955i SE tank so I'll have a matching set to paint. I'm trying to decide between flat black, gloss black, gunmetal gray like the 675 daytona and Rocket III, or some colorswap paintjob with graphics. Maybe gunemetal gray base coat with blue/green colorswap.

The tail plastic is all factory. The only modifications I've done is my radiator fluid bottle on the left side of the bike by the lock on the battery box (see my photo link). Other than that, the side panels of the t595 tail don't match up perfectly and I had to slot the bolt holes up so I could bolt them on, but I probably don't even need to bolt those down since they tuck in so tightly and don't stick out much. The only flaw is that there is a small gap between the front of the seat/tank area and the side cowls. You can only really notice it up close standing next to the bike though. A guy on t595.net opted to bondo his tank to close the gap, but I'd rather just leave it as is, as it doesn't look that bad at all.

I'm thinking I'm going to make a custom Laser X-treme undertail exhaust for it next year as well as custom bodywork and a custom fairing. I might use my laminar lip and design something around that.

J

·
0 Posts
I was planning on making a fiberglass bug screen with a bolt on Laminar type windscreen extension. If that works out I was going to make the same screen for my SV. Fiberglass is easily molded into the shape I want. I was thinking of a shape somewhere between the 02-04 screen and the 05 bug screen. Here in sunny So. Cal. it doesn't get too cold so a big screen isn't needed.

My SV was an SVS model that I run naked. My 2002 Daytona is going to be naked also (Speed Triple). I luckily have a 1998 Speed Triple I bought for parts. My buddy needed the front and I wanted the rear. So I have all the parts to do the tail swap, the dual head lights and a bug screen for prototyping a new screen. Needed the singlesided swingarm too to swap out my standard swingarm.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just more of a metalhead traditionalist with regard to the metal bodywork thing. I kind of wish the fuel tank were brushed aluminum, but I figure I can make one myself with a LOT of time invested trying to copy the knuckles on the sides. BUT, it'll be kickass when I finally have brushed aluminum bodywork to match the silver frame. The only hard part with the fuel tank will be the fuel pump mount.

Interesting looking SV. I bought my dad a pair of the S3-lookalike headlamps I found on ebay. He currently has it bike all taken apart trying to think of a subframe and fuel tank to make it look like an old vincent from his early days of riding, as well as lowering the seat area so it is more squat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts