Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should have noticed before tearing down to change the throttle cable, but should the fuel line exit between the carbs then go up between the air box and the pipe connecting the carbs or go straight up between the carbs in front of the connector pipe?

It seems that my original may have been the former, sandwiched between the pipe and the air box because there is an abrasion and slight compression in the (thin) oem hose but the replacement hose is thicker potentially making the suspected issue worse.

Going straight up might be a competition for the vent or overflow or ??? hose that also goes through the space between the right two carbs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My fuel line runs in that space between the #2 and #3 rubbers connecting the airbox to the carb mouth (aft of the vent connections on the top of the carb and the bar holding the carbs together). I hope that helps you.

Noel

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fuel line runs in that space between the #2 and #3 rubbers connecting the airbox to the carb mouth (aft of the vent connections on the top of the carb and the bar holding the carbs together). I hope that helps you.

Noel
Yes, I was afraid of that.
The space seems to squeeze a non-oem hose and it's old enough to need changing.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Not sure if it matters, but Beemie's has Keihin carbs and Falcon's 97 will have Mikuni?

The high pressure auto fuel pipe is too thick, but the low pressure thin wall braided cotton pipe works fine on my Keihins if that helps?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm trying to use some Motion Pro Tygon fuel line. It's very flexible, not like automotive line, but the material thickness is about double the oem. It does get squeezed a bit in between the pipe and the air cleaner box and it appears to end up as an oval instead of a round.

I did test fit it straight up between the carbs and that routing might cause a problem at the end of reserve because the fuel line goes up and then needs to dip back down to get to the petcock so it would need a bit of fluid pressure to flow. So it seems it should go between the pipe and the air cleaner box rather than up between the carbs.

In fitting it I managed to cut it twice and it was still too short.

Getting good at pulling the carbs through and I hear the tap tap tap of a woman's shoe in the corner every now and then, here it is a holiday, good weather and the promise of an adventure was made.

I found some thin motocross fuel line but the band clamps are tough to find to fit the narrow od.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'm using the 5/16" motion pro fuel line. It's black, not really a thick wall at all. It fit's right on over the barbed fittings, no clamps. It lasts a bit over a year before it starts to harden up.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I hear the tap tap tap of a woman's shoe in the corner every now and then, here it is a holiday, good weather and the promise of an adventure was made.
So, just avoid going deep into reserve...
(Sorry, can't be more help; I don't have an airbox...)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't have the airbox either (running pod filters). But my fuel line comes up from the fuel rail between carbs 2 and 3, between the flanges of the pod filters, where the carb rubbers to the airbox would be, up to above the carbs, then makes a turn to the left to connect to the petcock. I think it would make the same route with the airbox. The airbox doesn't extend beyond the carb rubbers where it mounts to the carbs, so I think this routing would work with the airbox.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
(also no airbox) I used "Helix Racing Fuel Line 5/16 IDx7/16 ODx3 Feet Transparent Yellow", and ran it up from fuel inlet between the 2nd and 3rd carb, turned it aft in a nice gentle bend, then turned it to the right in loop that goes forward and to the left in a gentle bend across the pod mounts (thru an inline filter) straight to the petcock. All of my fuel fittings are Pingel, and 5/16". sort of a long route. Probably not acceptable for most on the forum, as it does stick out a tad under the right side of the tank. But with the pods, and cleaning up the underside of the tank, it looks ok and more importantly, there are no kinks in the line. I can also monitor fuel flow thru the line as I ride. Added benefit is I can lift the tank up and slide it aft to check the coolant tank and or get to the top of the motor.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Mine goes the other side of the joiner bar in that pic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I found this picture while looking for something else.
I took the tank off to flush and fill the radiator and the fuel line and vent lines both came off (one cracked apart) of my tank.

Now I can't figure out where the fuel line attaches to my Keihlen (sp?) carbs?

Is that pic you posted accurate for Keihlen's?

Anyone have a good pic, if not?

TIA

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread, Beemie, but I got everything back together, turned the petcock to on and fired her up.

Started fine, let her run for a couple of minutes and then smelled gasoline. Looked below the bike and gas was FLOODING out onto the ground. Turned the petcock to off and it stopped. Bike kept running fine for a bit and then I turned it off.

At first I thought it was coming out one of the vent tubes (because it was pooling in the area below the vent pipes), but after testing it again a couple of times with the same result, I determined it is coming from up around the carbs and just openly free falling through the frame, etc. until it reaches the ground.

Anyway, I have no idea what the problem is, or where the leak originates, so I'm asking for advice from the folks that know these machines best. Mine is a 1995 Thunderbird with Keihlens (sp?) and pretty much all stock.

BTW, I have had no problems at all with the bike recently and it was really running well. All I intended to to was flush and fill my radiator, because we are starting into the 100 degree days of summer here and fluid had not been changed in years.

Any help or advice is much appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread, Beemie, but I got everything back together, turned the petcock to on and fired her up.

Started fine, let her run for a couple of minutes and then smelled gasoline. Looked below the bike and gas was FLOODING out onto the ground. Turned the petcock to off and it stopped. Bike kept running fine for a bit and then I turned it off.

At first I thought it was coming out one of the vent tubes (because it was pooling in the area below the vent pipes), but after testing it again a couple of times with the same result, I determined it is coming from up around the carbs and just openly free falling through the frame, etc. until it reaches the ground.

Anyway, I have no idea what the problem is, or where the leak originates, so I'm asking for advice from the folks that know these machines best. Mine is a 1995 Thunderbird with Keihlens (sp?) and pretty much all stock.

BTW, I have had no problems at all with the bike recently and it was really running well. All I intended to to was flush and fill my radiator, because we are starting into the 100 degree days of summer here and fluid had not been changed in years.

Any help or advice is much appreciated...thanks.
When I first got my bike, I made what sounds like this mistake: I blocked both the the vent tubes. Then gas just backed up into my airbox and sort of out it's drain tube and sort of just out...

What I was attempting to do, in my Moe Larry Curly way, was remove all the Calif. EPA plumbing. I had tubes everywhere and most were deteriorated. I mistakenly thought the Vent tubes were vacuum tubes and plugged them.

Good thing I was going to change the oil anyway.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well, in the meantime, my car (2002 Camaro Z28) decided to start throwing codes, which meant devoting my time to fixing that first, since it is my primary mode of transportation to and from work.

Tracked it down to a bad oxygen senser, which I replaced and now the IAC valve is acting up...why do I love old muscle cars and british bikes????

Anyway, got frustrated with the car, so I open the petcock on my bike and fired her up. Started right up, running great and within a minute.....yup....fuel flooding down what appears to be the right side of the bike in the vicinity of the battery box.

Somehow, I thought maybe letting her sit for a few days might dry out the float bowls and magically fix my problem, but nope...still a major fuel problem.

It really makes me think that maybe I have the fuel line hooked up wrong, because I didn't have any leaks before tackling the coolant flush and fill.

I have the fuel line hooked up to the spigot between the #2 and #3 carbs (from left to right when sitting on the bike). Is this correct? Does anyone have a good picture of the proper hookup for a 95 Tbird with Keihlen's?

I'd really like to be able to get her running this weekend.

TIA

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every vehicle I've owned has put a shop manual on the shelf.
A really good investment, even if only to have next to the throne for continuing education.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts