Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike now has 1200 miles on it (955 miles when purchased 3 wks ago) and last night on the way home, it started to overheat. I was in heavy traffic and when the reading hit 121 degrees C the water/oil light started flashing... I pulled over, shut it off and coolant started dumping out of the overflow hose. Anyway, I started checking everything out and noticed that the #7 (fan) Fuse had blown? I replaced it and checked the connection to the fan, but the bike still wanted to overheat and the fan would still not "kick" on...?? Finally, I decided to literally reach in with a wrench and see if I could turn the fan manually. Should it spin freely? If so, I have a problem... It barely turns and it appears as though it might be rubbing on the fan housing, which apparently stopped the fan, thus blowing the fuse... Has anybody ever experienced this? Has anybody ever removed just the fan? It looks like 3 screws are all that is holding it in, but the 1 screw on top looks like a pain to get to! Am I headed in the right direction with this problem? This is my first Triumph, so I have a lot to learn! Thanks everyone in advance for your input. :???:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
you are on the right track, the fan blades should turn by hand. The radiator and oil cooler are not held on by much, easy to remove.

1. some ***** is stopping the blades turn
2. [email protected]#@ fan motor.

No biggie. :-D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
P.S The fan HAS to work on the Speedy. In fact it does a lot of work. Nature of the beast. :hammer:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You need to tell us more about your bike! 03 with less than 1k miles? was it standing or a late one out the box? We need pictures. Welcome to the nut house! :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i think i remember reading that some of the triples had probs with the fan stripping out from how its attached to the spindle. might be newer models though. i think it was an '05 issue that's had been addressed for 06.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I just removed the fan and quite a bit of road grit and small pebbles came falling out. I tested the fan once removed and it seems to work fine... I will definitely keep my eye on the temp gauge though! Thank you for the help!

As for how I came across the bike... It was actually a happy accident! My local Triumph dealer bought it from one of the dealerships in town. Apparently the guy used it as part of his down payment. The cool part is that he never used it and I was told by the dealer that it had been in storage for several years. I was also told that during that time, it had fallen over... Who knows, but I do know that because of it, the dealer installed new Leo Vince exhaust and integrated rear turn signals! I feel extremely lucky... They hadn't even done the inspection or cleaned it up yet! The other ironic part is that it had exactly 955 miles on the odometer when I found it! It's black and beautiful and I am hooked! I will definitely post photos later.

By the way... The factory mirrors suck! I went back the next day and bought a set of bar ends - What a difference!

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is the normal operating temp for the 955 S3's? (02-04 models) in F? Mine usually is around 175-190 while riding and 205-215 when stopped in traffic. I know the "crossover point" for the warm-up seems to be around 118-122. This is when the idle changes.

Don't shoot me if it is in the searches. I saw this post and got to wondering and this seemed like a valid place to ask the question! :hammer: :-D

Shawn

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Those are correct operating temps. Mine usually hits about 212-215 in the warmer months. The fan should be kicking on at about 219 (+/- a degree), which it frequently does in hot weather, or in traffic.

amillers3, check out MIKE'S GRILLES. One of these will significantly reduce the amount of pebbles, etc, that try to get back into the radiator.

Capt.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Hey, it's good to see another Speedy owner around here! Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Speaking of overheating, I wonder if mine is running as cool as it should. The temperatures are still pretty cool in the mornings (50's), but my S3 will get up to 5 bars pretty quick in traffic and will be at 6 bars with the fan running after 7 miles of light commuting into work. Even on rides, normal operating temp seems to be at 5 bars. Does that sound pretty normal?

PS. I know the manual says normal op temp is between 3 to 6 bars, but if I'm at 5 bars in the winter, where the heck am I going to be when it's 100 outside?

[ This message was edited by: Warp8 on 2007-03-08 11:08 ]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
On 2007-03-08 11:06, Warp8 wrote:

PS. I know the manual says normal op temp is between 3 to 6 bars, but if I'm at 5 bars in the winter, where the heck am I going to be when it's 100 outside?
5 bars :-D mine is the same winter and summer. the fan kicks on more in the summer.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2007-03-07 21:01, amillers3 wrote:
955 miles when purchased 3 wks ago
A 4 year old bike, very low mileage, with a lot of pebbles in the radiator and the bike has "fallen over in storage".

Yeah, right :-D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-03-08 14:40, Martin_R wrote:
On 2007-03-07 21:01, amillers3 wrote:
955 miles when purchased 3 wks ago
A 4 year old bike, very low mileage, with a lot of pebbles in the radiator and the bike has "fallen over in storage".

Yeah, right :-D
Gosh, I guess you are right... I didn't even think about it. Maybe it's all one big lie... I have one question though... How did they roll back a digital odometer - Can I do that with a Tuneboy?

Whatever the case... The bike looks awesome, runs awesome and I am glad I found it! I also know that we have had a ***** load of snow here this year, so it's no wonder there is debris in the radiator fan... They gravel the heck out of our streets and how could I possibly stair at her in my garage for the next few months!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2007-03-08 10:44, Goffe wrote:
Hey, it's good to see another Speedy owner around here! Where did you buy it?
I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah - How is the Cycle Barn Service Dept.? I live closer to Lynwood than Issaquah, so it would convenient for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As you well know, Cycle Barn is a macro dealer and their service department is always busy (and kinda expensive). However, Scott and Perry are top Triumph techs.

A lot of Triumph riders steer clear of Cycle Barn because they are a huge dealership, but they do a lot of group rides (although I don't participate in those) and the Triumph demo truck visits them in the summer.

There's a fair amount of discussion over in General - Dealers Forum about Cycle Barn & I-90.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2007-03-08 18:13, amillers3 wrote:
Gosh, I guess you are right... I didn't even think about it. Maybe it's all one big lie... I have one question though... How did they roll back a digital odometer - Can I do that with a Tuneboy?
Nope, not possible with TuneBoy if the miles have already stacked on the clock.

But at least one could have lower than true mileage by changing gauge clusters (after a crash etc., plenty of gauges available on eBay) or running aftermarket gauges and having the originals on the shelf/unplugged from the speed sensor. Also one option is to run a speedohealer or similar and set the speedo to show 1/10 of true speed & mileage.

Whatever the case... The bike looks awesome, runs awesome and I am glad I found it!
Yeah, that's what counts. I did not mean to rain on your parade. It might very well be just my sceptical nature that the previous life of yer S3 sounded a bit too eventful for such a small mileage bike.
:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whatever the case... The bike looks awesome, runs awesome and I am glad I found it!
Yeah, that's what counts. I did not mean to rain on your parade. It might very well be just my sceptical nature that the previous life of yer S3 sounded a bit too eventful for such a small mileage bike.
:cool:
[/quote]

Trust me... You are not raining on my parade.

But... The stories of how they came across the bike are not what sold me. I was ready to write a check the minute I saw it. I have grown up around bikes and bike shops and I do know that it's far more common to come across a pre-owned bike with such low miles than it is a car. Especially in an environment like ours... Who knows...? And, as a former car salesman, I am not that quick to be persuaded by a "slick" salesman. Not only that, I think Don at I-90 seems like a good guy and his follow up after the sale was excellent! He also made me a great deal too... $42,000 out the door :razz:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts