Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Speed Triple
16k miles

Bike is getting rather hot. Last summer it stayed around 175-185 unless I was in heavy traffic for a long time. I think the fan came on twice last year.

This year, bike temp will jump 20-30 degrees while waiting for a traffic light to change. Fan comes on and cools the bike down, but it stays at 200+ in traffic now. If I start movin at 50mph or higher, the bike will cool off...eventually.

I have flushed the coolant system out and replaced the antifreeze with Engine Ice. I thought it might be a partially stuck thermostat, so I removed it. I have tried bleeding air out of the system using the bolt on the water pump and the one on the radiator. None of this has helped the cooling issue.

I recently had the oil changed, there was no water in the oil, and no oil in the water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The temps you are experiencing are right on par with what I see with my 03 with 13K miles. I have to change and flush my cooling system maybe a today project just got back from a 330 mile trip (Topeka KS to mid Nebraska). Turns out Speedie loves to run long distances with minimal stops surprise to me. By the way drain and flush ok or PITA?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts