Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im new here and admit to joining to pick up some tech tips. But also joining in with the community.

So, I've owned my 03 tiger for fourteen years. I can't believe I've had this bike for so long but it has and still is a great bike.

Recently it has been running a bit jerky at very low speeds and the tick over misfiring on to two cylinders. Also a splutter or cough through the inlet side. The bike revs up fine though and pulls cleanly under load.

Ive done most of the work myself over the years but has been in a garage for its 12,000 mile service and as the rough running got worse i have had it in again figuring the throttle bodies will need balancing and maybe the valve clearances checked. The bike has now covered 29000 miles. The local bike shop have put new spark plugs, throttle bodies checked and a general once over and oh yes a new battery.

So when riding the bike back home it soon became apparent that things hadn't improved much. ( i was a bit gutted as they said it was all good) The bike is a bit smoother but the cough and low rev misfire are still apparent. The mechanic suggested i need a new air filter which will get done. However i don't think this will make much difference.

Sorry for the long waffling description. Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance for any tips

Simon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply. I’ve e wondered about an injectors so am going to run some cleaner through. I think a coil or anything ignition would show up under load? The bike runs fine when riding at speed or revving up through the Rev range. Fault showing up at tick over and riding slow at around 2000 revs. I’m going to try a new air filter and check the tick over air tubes. I’m after a standard exhaust too. Got a Quill tail pipe which I suppose is more or less straight through?
Any way thanks again. I’ll keep you posted

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hook up TuneECU and take a look at the values for the injectors. I forget the specs but they all should be more or less the same.
If you haven't already, replace the IACV lines with 6mm silicone ones.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hook up TuneECU and take a look at the values for the injectors. I forget the specs but they all should be more or less the same.
Yep.....get it hooked up to TuneECU and read the fault codes. It's so cheap to buy the cable and it's a great resource to have ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep.....get it hooked up to TuneECU and read the fault codes. It's so cheap to buy the cable and it's a great resource to have ;)
Ok, will have to look into that. Thanks again for the info b👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where about in the UK are you, one of us may be able to help you ??
Hi, thanks for your interest, I live in poole dorset. Ive ordered an air filter and looking to get a standard exhaust back on the bike. This might help with the poor low speed performance. Know anybody with a standard exhaust for the 955i tiger
Thanks again
Simon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, thanks for your interest, I live in poole dorset. Ive ordered an air filter and looking to get a standard exhaust back on the bike. This might help with the poor low speed performance. Know anybody with a standard exhaust for the 955i tiger
Thanks again
Simon
if you take it to triumph they can check what map you have loaded on the ecu, for your quill can you will need the tor tune uploaded they only charge around £25.00 for a remap, might be cheaper than a 2nd hand original can, unless you get lucky. all the best mate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you take it to triumph they can check what map you have loaded on the ecu, for your quill can you will need the tor tune uploaded they only charge around £25.00 for a remap, might be cheaper than a 2nd hand original can, unless you get lucky. all the best mate.
Hi
Thanks for that, I thinking same as you, kind of suspecting the quill. Had the bike serviced by a non triumph bike shop a few years ago and bit hard to remember now (had the bike 14 years!) but thinking it was better before the service.... anyways fitting a new air filter over the weekend. That may improve things. Still want a standard pipe back on the bike as it’s a little noisy and just fancy the change.
Thanks again
Will keep this post running until I get to the bottom of the problem 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts