Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tt600, 02 for sale around me for under 2,000. Motor needs replaned (pretty much shot). The rest of the bike looks to be in good condition. I have a 01 tt600 that needs new tires and such in spring. Two questions: (1) can I switch the wheels and tires between the two no problem? (2) Is this bike worth parting out if the fairings, 2 bros exhaust, power commander etc, are in good condition? Is there much of a market? has anyone tried this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The tires and wheels are definitely interchangeable! And if you can get that bike for that cheap, you can double your money by parting it! :) What color is the 02?

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
My '01 had '02 plastic on it for years, since it got hit and I managed to find used plastic. Everything else swaps out directly. As far as I know, the only differences are some minor internal engine differences, mapping, and the cams. The 2002 and later map generally works better than the official stock maps in 2000 and 2001 bikes anyway. As a practical matter, the differences don't matter much.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
$2k is a high price for a TT600 with a fried engine. I'm confused as to what you mean by the engine needing to be 'replaned,' but if the engine is shot and needs to be rebuilt, they are not cheap and a low miles used substitute runs about $750 after shipping (at least in the states.)

As for parting it out, some parts will sell easily and for a good chunk of money, but others will be piled in your garage for years trying to get rid of them. The most sought after parts are those that are damaged in tip-overs or low speed falls (fairings, front cockpit subframe, rearsets, rear subframe, levers, mirrors, etc). If you buy the bike for more than 1k, I don't see you doubling your money easily, and it would be some work getting your 1k back for the time it would take to strip the bike, sell the parts, and ship them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cylinder warpage

Thanks for the help. The guy said that the dealer he took it to told him the cylinder head is somehow warped causing the oil to leak. The bike will start fine. Etc.

I don't know of other ways for engine heads to warp other than by excessive heat which is why I figured (the glass is usually half-empty when it comes to used motorcycles) the engine would probably need to be scrapped. The motorcycle shop said it needed to be replaned which I'm sure is quite expensive if you can't get the engine out yourself to ship off (which I'm find doing). I'm in the middle of piecing back together a Honda shadow vt600 (my first bike) which had a similar problem but was leaking oil into the piston and buring it up (hopefully it was only the valve seals on that cylinder). The only good thing out of that pain in the ass was I had too get another bike for the meantime :), my 01 TT600.

I figured if the 02 still ran and if I got it cheap enough, I could start it up once and again and keep it from getting seized until the honda is done. I'd love to get another engine in there but i've never bought one used and would worry it has problems of its own. Does anyone know where or how to find reliable used engines?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
What does the dealership mean by the oil leaking due to a warped head? Is the engine burning oil? A more common issue with a warped head is a blown head gasket which will cause coolant and/or oil to burn.

If the head is warped, you will need to have it surfaced and the block checked, as, it being aluminum, it may be warped too and need to be decked. The machine work for the head wouldn't be a whole lot (maybe $150) plus a head gasket and the work it would take to r&r the head (this of course would only be a reasonable approach if there are no other issues: e.g. piston slapping, rod knock, bent valve, excessive leak-by). If the oil is leaking onto the outside from the top of the head, it might be nothing more than the cam cover gasket.
You could smell the oil for overheating.

As far as used engines go, you can find them at a local salvage yard, ebay, or find a wrecked bike in the local classifieds that still has a running engine you can go and listen to/check over. Buying an engine used when you cannot see it run in person is a gamble; but I bought my TT600 engine off ebay and have since put 3k miles on it with no issues whatsoever. I suggest that if you do find an online salvage company, ask a lot of questions about the engine, ask for proof of mileage (a picture of the odometer, although it could be fake), and make sure they have a money back warranty with good feedback from other buyers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I found the bike he's talking about, it's on ebay. Looks good and would be a great deal if it didn't have that oil leaking problem. Has some tasteful mods, a PCIII among other things. For $2000 I'd say it's not worth it since other than the body work, the rest won't sell for much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one. I'm in Pennsylvania and it would take about an additional 200 bucks in gas to get it up there and back on the truck. After it went over 1000 with a couple days left of bidding it probably wasn't worth it. Thanks for the help regardless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Off topic.......I know!

hey dw562714, whereabouts in PA are you located? I live right in center city, philly and Joel01tt is also in the immediate area. It would fun to get all the TT's out! <---LOL....that sounds funny!:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts