Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like there are three bearings involved in the SSA assembly. The maintenance schedule in the shop manual indicates the following: "Rear wheel bearing - lubricate (single sided swing arm only)", at 12000 and 24000 mile intervals. However, the small owners hand book provided with the bike makes no mention of this requirement. Are the two main bearings sealed or do they require lubrication? Is any body familiar with this bearing configuration and any lubrication requirements? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello Deller,
I just disassembled mine for the lube job and it appears the bearings on the cush drive and left side of chain adjuster are sealed. The bearings on the right side are roller bearings (look like little rolling pins with framework between and on the ends). All bearings are pressed in so I didn't have the luxury of repacking it in hand. I pulled the elliptical chain adjuster out, sprayed out as much old grease as possible with some WD-40, let it dry in a warm place for a bit then repacked and repacked and repacked it!
Best of luck! :upthumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The bearings on the chain wheel side of the stub axle are sealed and installed as a pair to give zero end float when torqued up. The one on the RHS (cantlilever end) of the stub axle is a needle roller and is the one to be re- greased. A large amount of grease is not necessary, about a heaped teaspoon full spread across the bearing, excess will only be thrown into the void. Use the special mobil blue grease specified. The stub axle assembley requires removing to facilitate this. A large circlip remover is required to get the caliper off. A new staked nut will be required for the chain wheel end on re-assembly.

I hope this is helpful

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas, I'm having a bit of a time de-cyphering this manual. Is the grease that is required the Mobil Grease HP 222 which is listed under Suspension on page 1.19 of the shop manual. They seem to lump the rear hub assembly, which contains the bearings, under the rear suspension and don't give specific information on the lubricating the bearing in the hub assembly. Anyway, is the HP 222 Grease correct? Thanks again for your time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts