Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks..

I changed out my original 19 tooth as soon as I bought the bike.

Needed to change it and the chain and rear at about 20K KLM. I now have 65K KLM on the bike - so - second set has lasted + 45K KLM.

I regualy check them and there is still very minimal sign of wear on the front, rear and the chain.

I clean the chain with kero about 3 or 4 times a year and lube it with Mogul chain lube ( very little fling off ) about every 500 to 750 klms, - so - I am certainly not anal about servicing the chain.

We do a lot of fast 2 up riding mostly in the twisties , combined weight ( wife & mine ) about 135 kgs - I'm a liteweight at 75 kgs.

Anyone got more than 45K klm on a chain/sprocket set ? - How many more klms can I expect ??

:motorbike::motorbike::motorbike:

·
Premium Member
24,382 Posts
Harry,

I got 50,000kms out of my first set on my '04 and the sprockets weren't that bad but the chain was well stuffed (read very!).

I use Motorex Strong 622 chain lube after every second ride of approx 300kms and clean my chain with kero about every 1000kms.

I am 103kilos and my wife is 65kilos I have a modified rear shock with 5mm spacer and run 15wt fork oil in the front. And I burned through 20 rear tyres and 14 fronts in 60,000kms.

The key to longevity is ride smoothly and keep the correct tension and keep it clean and free of grit with a little lube.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I changed my out at 38,000 Km or so. I was changing to the 18T and just wanted to change the combo to ensure equal wear. My mechanic said it had a few thousand km's left in it but I couldn't wait to do the mod.

I also am not anal about servicing the chain and BelRay (white and a little waxy) chain lube it when I think about it (800km or so). I have never Kero'd the chain but only because I can't be chuffed to get it messy! :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts