Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just picked up a 2002 Daytona 955i. I bought it for $1800 knowing that engine work was to be done to it. The guy I bought it from said he had bought it broken as well with the intent to fix, but he could never get around to it. He wasn't sure how the first owner screwed it up.

Basically the end of the crankshaft snapped where the start clutch and valve sprocket would be (see picts). I'm going to get to it and make sure everything is in decent shape.

What has me confused is some of the electronics under the seat. I found a plug with .. well, nothing plugged into it. I assume it is for the ecm or ecu, but am not sure about this. Can someone let me know? There's a pict of it.

The front displays list it having 6675 miles .. how they managed to break the crankshaft is beyond me, I'm open to the possibility that it is faulty.
Some of my other concerns are the clutch (bike seems to still be in gear when the clutch is pulled) and the rear brake (doesn't work .. I think the lines might need to be bled.)

Any suggestions about anything would be sweet. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice find. ive got the same bike, picked mine up for 2k runs great but needs plastics. i'm enjoying the naked look for now thowe. i've seen quite a few complete engines on ebay go for just a couple hundred. shouldnt be to expensive of a fix.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes that's the plug-in for the ecu.

I'd definitely want to pull the cam cover off to see if the damage extended itself up there too. That must have been one hell of a jolt to the bike and rider when that thing snapped.

Then I'd tear the whole thing apart and get the block magnafluxed to see if there are any hairline cracks.

It will be a labor of love, but you will definitely be rewarded with a very fun bike in the end. Until then, you'll have to ride that sweet 10-speed in the second picture, roflmao.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DEcosse, if that's the case, you have no idea how happy I am right now haha.

And Drake, I lmao'd at the 10-speed :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Obd

If you ever discover what happened, pls post the info...
The failure has the typical patern of fatigue cracking which makes thinking about a manufacturing defect;
The conector IS the OBD one, used for diagnostics;

Congratulations for the very nice looking bike, even considering the engine repair cost, it will be a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
You'll find the ECM mounted on the front side of the battery box neomaximus (not that you particularly need to get to it, but just frame of reference for you)

Bike looks like a good deal at that price - I'd have been all over that.
Where are located incidentally? (useful to add that to your profile info)

Edit - whoops - found you id'd your location in the 'where we from' thread as Daytona Beach FL - Quite apropos! - do put it in your profile though, then it is obvious to anyone as it will be under your avatar on the left (once you add one of those too!)

Think your best/most cost effective solution is going to be to source another complete motor. You can probably recover much of the cost breaking the original. Any 2002 - 2006 Daytona will work - don't compromise on a Speed Triple or Sprint engine!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye. I think I'll make that decision once I get it all apart. If there's no serious damage to the rest of the engine and head, I'll just get another crank. But it it seems like there's more damage, then that may be the smart thing to do.

Crankshaft is about $900 and I found an engine on ebay for about the same price (except almost $300 for shipping :(). So once I get this bad boy apart is when I'll make some decisions. I need to get it moved to a more convenient place first though.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Crank price additions

you might want to ask How much the gasket kit you need is!

I would seriously go straight for the replacement engine, as I think you'll find the hidden extras costs mount really fast!!

Rexx

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
neomaximus, I have a feeling you're going to find some piston/valve damage. I'd look for another engine as it can be used as a donor if nothing else.

Brad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
engines?

What's the difference in the engines between the Speed Triple, Sprint, and the one I have?

I've tried to look it up but can't find anything >.<
(Quite confused about that one. Aren't they all 955cc?)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
neomaximus, The D955i is different from the other 955s in that it has a different cams, crankshaft, lighter connecting rods, pistons and cylinder head from '02>. There may be some other differences, but I don't have my service manual handy. Crankcase and transmission are at least the same as the S3 (but crankcases are different for '06).

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
What's the difference in the engines between the Speed Triple, Sprint, and the one I have?...
The short answer is ........... 20HP :p

Incidentally if you're looking at that Sprint engine on EBay that is the former generation (pre '02) - too many differences to integrate even though the motor will bolt right in to the same mounts.

Basically, the Daytona's 955 is cammed up, everything else is identical.
Not exactly true: pistons, rods & crank and cylinders are different

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice grab m8,,,And Silvers the best colour, cause i got one just like it..:D. I understand the damage could have be caused in many ways, but my bets on just a straight out hoon whom owned and broken it. Well worth fixing...You wont regret it..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little update.

Well guys here's a little update on what I'm finding as I take this apart.
Firstly - **** me for not buying a metrix hex set >.< - I live in an apartment 24 miles away from where I've had to leave the bike, and the bike is out in the middle of nowhere. So basically I went out there to take some stuff apart, but was slowed to a halt *sigh* .. that's alright though, I have a set now.

I've found a couple things as I've been going that I didn't realize before (or couldn't have realized until I started disassembling the bike.).

As I said before, the rear brake wasn't working .. and I found out why: There's a hole in the brake line! I went to bleed the lines, and as I hear the brake fluid start to move through the hydraulic it started leaking! I couldn't find out where it was coming from until I pulled it out and saw a small hole in the section of the line that was behind the frame. The cable also looks like it had started to melt or something:

So I guess that's one thing out of the way. I knew it needed to be fixed, I just didn't know what was wrong.

I'm at the point where the my bike is sitting there, no gas tank or air box and I'm staring at the throttle bodies. I wanted to remove the valves cover, but .. well, I didn't have a metrix hex piece that would work .. so I'll be doing that tomorrow; however, as I found this out and was unplugging stuff from the wiring harness, I noticed this:

This wire section has been cut! And I don't know what it's supposed to go to. I don't see any other cit wires that this would connect to ... my air box doesn't seem to have a secondary injections system on the front .. I was wondering if the wires might have been for that? *shrug*

I'm not an expert on this stuff ... yet, so hopefully you guys can help me get there! Anyway, yeah, any feedback and info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't post more than 4 images in one post sooo:

I also found that one side of the rear fender is cracked :( I'm going to see if I can poxy it.

And does anyone know if plugs looking like this is normal?

That was from piston #1 - the others weren't as bad.

I'm hoping all of this stuff added up will lead to figuring out how this bike was put out of commission. I'm obviously documenting all of this stuff so I can write a nice picture blog/guide to what I've done. Hopefully someone in the future will be able to benefit from it.
You guys are awesome, thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks to me like this bike was crashed and or in a flood. It could have been a flood damaged bike that was fixed up. It is feasible that mud/water got into the motor and it was run with contaminated oil until a bearing failed and then things went snap...which would not take long.

The other minor damages seem to be consistant with flood damage and improper towing/storage with all the little dents and cuts here and there.

Good luck! I would pull the whole thing apart...swingarm, brakes, axles, and check and regrease while fixing or sourcing a motor.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts